March 13th 2017

When I established the forums in 2005 it was to offer a more richer web experience and greater functionality than the platform where we started this social adventure in 2003, Yahoo Groups. The forums were once a busy hive of activity and provided locals and visitors with a wealth of information just like the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook today.

It was a time where we didn't have the many social media platforms we have today, and it was a different time in terms of mobility and technology. There was no instant access to information, no Google Maps and a very limited base map on your GPSr. Mobile connectivity for me was a 9600bps Infrared connection from a Nokia to a laptop and in later times to a PDA using WAP.

As we moved into the social media era so did our forums users. Geocaching Ireland moved there too, and we have a thriving community on the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook. As a result, forum activity isn't what it used to be and I have taken the decision to disable new registrations to the forums and to make the forums read only so any information there can still be accessed.

The discussion hasn't ended, it has just moved. Join us on the Facebook Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group .

Donnacha

Placing Cache in Northeren Ireland forestry service lands

Geocache Placement and Review Discussions

Moderator: GCI Admins

Locked [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
opalcutter
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by opalcutter » Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:54 pm

Hi,
This is my first message so I hope this is the right place to post this. For those of you wishing to place caches in forestry service lands in Northern Ireland. Please find below a copy of an email I received after asking permission to carry out the above. I have Johns permission to pass this email on to you.

From: Watson, John N. [mailto: Email address removed - dino]
Sent: 21 February 2012 14:37
To: Walder, Alan
Subject: FW: Geocaching

Dear Alan,

My name is John Watson and, as I have Forest management responsibilities that include the recreational use of forests, your query below has been forwarded to me for reply.

Within our new forestry legislation, the Forest Act (NI) 2010, there is a statutory right of pedestrian access across Forest Service land.

This means that individuals are welcome to access our land on foot provided that they do so in a safe and responsible manner. If people involved in geocaching meet this criteria there is no specific requirement to seek permission.

It is important that users of the forest respect the Forest Service Byelaws and I note in your correspondence you clarify that this activity would not disturb the surrounding area or result in digging of soil.

Your activity should also be carried out in a safe, responsible manner in a way that protects the environment and respects the enjoyment of others. As well as abiding by the Forest Service byelaws, it would also be important to highlight your own geocaching code of conduct and guidelines as good practice. This being the case, I foresee no requirement for Forest Service to pre-approve the placement of individual caches.

I would emphasise that our forests are working forests as well as being a natural resource. All users should abide by temporary signage where forest operations such as timber harvesting or other activities are taking place. I would also point out that Forest Service accept no responsibility for the security of geocaches and that responsibility for the placement of a geocache and associated activities rest with the owner of the geocache.

I trust this clarification is helpful and please do not hesitate to come back to me should you have any further queries.

Yours sincerely

John

John Watson

Forest management - EAST

Looks like a green light to go :D

Step_7
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Step_7 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:54 pm

Common sense from a government official - excellent! :)

dino

Re: Placing Cache in Northeren Ireland forestry service land

Post by dino » Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:58 pm

Congratulations to opalcutter for this great news.

See this thread for a summary: http://forums.geocachingireland.com/vie ... =20&t=3556

(locking this thread to keep all discussions in one place)
Some gal would giggle and I'd get red
And some guy'd laugh and I'd bust his head,
I tell ya, life ain't easy for a boy named "Sue."