March 13th 2017

When I established the forums in 2005 it was to offer a more richer web experience and greater functionality than the platform where we started this social adventure in 2003, Yahoo Groups. The forums were once a busy hive of activity and provided locals and visitors with a wealth of information just like the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook today.

It was a time where we didn't have the many social media platforms we have today, and it was a different time in terms of mobility and technology. There was no instant access to information, no Google Maps and a very limited base map on your GPSr. Mobile connectivity for me was a 9600bps Infrared connection from a Nokia to a laptop and in later times to a PDA using WAP.

As we moved into the social media era so did our forums users. Geocaching Ireland moved there too, and we have a thriving community on the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook. As a result, forum activity isn't what it used to be and I have taken the decision to disable new registrations to the forums and to make the forums read only so any information there can still be accessed.

The discussion hasn't ended, it has just moved. Join us on the Facebook Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group .

Donnacha

Known Contacts

Geocache Placement and Review Discussions

Moderator: GCI Admins

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Frezeluberz
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Known Contacts

Post by Frezeluberz » Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:13 pm

Hi all,

Does anyone know who to contact in Belfast City Council with regard to placing a cache in a park.
Composing a list of known/useful contacts would be handy for the uninitiated.

Kevin

wildfowler
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Known Contacts

Post by wildfowler » Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:28 pm

Which park? There are different people looking after each area. Contact BCC Parks dept on 028 9032 0202 or email them at parksinfo@belfastcity.gov.uk

I did used to know the man in charge of the parks at Barnetts Demense and Clement Wilson but I've forgotten his details! I'll see if I can find them anywhere.
"Wait a minute, Doc. Ah... Are you telling me that you built a time machine... out of a DeLorean?"
ImageImage

Frezeluberz
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Frezeluberz » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:16 pm

Thanks for the reply.
I'd gotten the correct details for the person to email, but didn't I write it down on an envelope which has of course been thrown out now.
I'll be able to contact him again.
I think his name was McKinnon, but not sure, maybe Liam?!
Oh, and I'm looking at parks in north Belfast at the mo.

Sinbadsfriends

Post by Sinbadsfriends » Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:33 am

Hi
There's an alphabetical list of Belfast parks with contact info for individual park managers at: http://www.belfastcity.gov.uk/parksando ... Zparks.asp
Having said this, it took the Waterworks guy 7 weeks, 6 emails and 1 letter to get back to us about placement (and then there was no problem so long as we sent him a photo of what the cache looked like). I haven't found a similar list for Newtownabbey Parks - has anybody seen one?
SBF

Sinbadsfriends

Post by Sinbadsfriends » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:28 pm

Hi all
Just to report an email converstion had this week with the Parks Development Manager for Newtownabbey council (Co. Antrim). It only took her 5 months to reply to an initial query about geocache placement, but the eventual outcome (after some explanation about what geocaching was - standard stuff) was positive and helpful:
>Thanks for this Peter
It sounds very interesting and anything which gets people into parks is a good thing! I can't see any reason why we wouldn't want to have them in our parks, so please do come back to me if you require a site.
Margaret<
I know others have placed caches in N'Abbey Parks before, but her contact info might still be helpful to speed up permissions in future:

Margaret Lindsay BA HND
Parks Development Manager
Newtownabbey Borough Council
Mossley Mill
BT36 5QA
mlindsay@newtownabbey.gov.uk
028 9034 0045

Might be helpful if others shared their placement permission contacts info with other here also?

dino

Post by dino » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:38 pm

Well done....that sounds like a blanket agreement to me =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

Might be worthwhile for owners with caches in those parks that she might not be 100% aware of :wink: to contact her and make sure she is ok with them in their present location 8)
Some gal would giggle and I'd get red
And some guy'd laugh and I'd bust his head,
I tell ya, life ain't easy for a boy named "Sue."