March 13th 2017

When I established the forums in 2005 it was to offer a more richer web experience and greater functionality than the platform where we started this social adventure in 2003, Yahoo Groups. The forums were once a busy hive of activity and provided locals and visitors with a wealth of information just like the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook today.

It was a time where we didn't have the many social media platforms we have today, and it was a different time in terms of mobility and technology. There was no instant access to information, no Google Maps and a very limited base map on your GPSr. Mobile connectivity for me was a 9600bps Infrared connection from a Nokia to a laptop and in later times to a PDA using WAP.

As we moved into the social media era so did our forums users. Geocaching Ireland moved there too, and we have a thriving community on the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook. As a result, forum activity isn't what it used to be and I have taken the decision to disable new registrations to the forums and to make the forums read only so any information there can still be accessed.

The discussion hasn't ended, it has just moved. Join us on the Facebook Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group .

Donnacha

Urgent Notice for all Northern Ireland Cachers

Geocache Placement and Review Discussions

Moderator: GCI Admins

Zoe andDaddy
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Urgent Notice for all Northern Ireland Cachers

Post by Zoe andDaddy » Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:32 am

I have offered to arrange a CITO or a tree plant event, its a no go at this time.

dino

Post by dino » Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:48 am

Zoe andDaddy wrote:I have offered to arrange a CITO or a tree plant event, its a no go at this time.
Lawrence, if this is the offer you made to me then that was as negotiations were ongoing and the offer may have confused matters.

If you want to organise something like this now with your local ranger then go ahead. It can't do any harm and may even do some good.

If it's your local ranger that has said no then that is disappointing :(
Some gal would giggle and I'd get red
And some guy'd laugh and I'd bust his head,
I tell ya, life ain't easy for a boy named "Sue."

Zoe andDaddy
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Zoe andDaddy » Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:17 am

I spoke to Dave about this and he said not to do this myself but he would speak with them.
I think that if we arrange something with the local ranger and the powers that be found out it could look like we are going behind their backs.

golaman
Lugnaquillia 925m
Lugnaquillia 925m

Post by golaman » Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:36 am

I may as well put in my tuppence worth. I was walking in Drum Manor Forest Park at the weekend and noticed several ropes hanging from branches. I thought at the time that the forestry must have no issue with kids swinging several feet above hard ground on an improvised swing and yet they have a problem with caching. Doesnt make a lot of sense.

dino

Post by dino » Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:22 am

Zoe andDaddy wrote:I spoke to Dave about this and he said not to do this myself but he would speak with them.
I think that if we arrange something with the local ranger and the powers that be found out it could look like we are going behind their backs.
Ok. I get you now. There have been so many emails and messages back and forward on this with so many people that I'm getting confused :roll:

I'll contact Dave and see what he feels about how this would go down with HO
golaman wrote:I may as well put in my tuppence worth. I was walking in Drum Manor Forest Park at the weekend and noticed several ropes hanging from branches. I thought at the time that the forestry must have no issue with kids swinging several feet above hard ground on an improvised swing and yet they have a problem with caching. Doesnt make a lot of sense.
Nor people rallying through forests and dumping burned out cars :roll:

I guess the issue here is that they are aware of geocaching and once they are aware of an activity then legal liability comes into question. If you reported those swings then they would be obliged to do something about it. It's a mad world really and although I don't agree with their stance I can also understand where they are coming from :(

dodgerm

Post by dodgerm » Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:09 pm

I do wish the FSNI could come to a decision - I've had a real 'special' all set to go in Castlewellan Forest Park sitting in my workshop for the past year :cry:

Step_7

Post by Step_7 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:40 pm

OK, just wanting clarification on something - is it OK to have stages of a multi where the final is outside the FSNI property or will that still fall foul of their Insurance issues? :roll:

By the way, is the current reviewer aware of these restrictions as caches are still appearing on FSNI property.... and one in particular (GC2BPGT) had little chance of passing through any Government bureaucracy to obtain permission in the time between placement and publishing! :?

dino

Post by dino » Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:46 pm

If the stages inside the forestry boundary are virtual stages (ie no physical containers and using information already present) then you should be okay. However, if you approach the forestry manager and he gives permission then you are free to place a physical cache within the forest. You just need to be able to demonstrate that at the time of review.

Re: GC2BPGT. erik is aware of the FSNI restrictions but bear in mind he isn't local, he covers many different reviewing territories (including Korea, Japan and some other Far East countries) and is more prone to make a mistake than a local reviewer. God knows I made plenty of mistakes and I only had Ireland to think about! If you have concerns then you should contact erik via his profile or else the CO. It could be that the CO did get permission or that he didn't know it was required and erik missed it.

Step_7

Post by Step_7 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:24 pm

I'm not concerned by it at all - although the incident that it is named after wouldn't help relations with the FSNI if they connected it to Geocaching but that's a whole other story I suspect! I was aware that Erik wasn't a local and it wouldn't surprise me in the least that things like this would get overlooked - just don't want it to lead to complications for the negotiations with the FSNI if they become aware of caches still being listed on "their" land. In my opinion they should get their bureaucratic noses out of it but unfortunately that isn't the world we seem to live in any more! :(

I know I could go and ask the Ranger for permission but with the negotiations ongoing I'm just going to let it lie or do something with a virtual multicache sticking to paths. If the situation improves in the future it wouldn't be hard to add proper caches - forests tend to be big after all!

dodgerm

Post by dodgerm » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:11 pm

It's now Jan 2011 and still nothing. What is happening? Is anybody trying? I'm tempted to wade in with both feet with regards to Castlewellan, or is that likely to be counter productive?

BTW, I have staff who have gone on "team building" excercises there including abseiling, friends whose kids go canoeing there, and I've seen rowing regattas there --- how do they get permission??? Geocaching seems mild compared to these; mind you, given the recent events in Carlingford, I'm not so sure...

dino

Post by dino » Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:14 pm

Unfortunately my post from March last year is still where we are with this:

http://forums.geocachingireland.com/vie ... 487#p39487

opalcutter

Post by opalcutter » Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:33 am

Hi folks,

Sorry I am new to this forums but is there an movement on this issue. We had an excellent cache archived in my local forest due to this issue which p)&&*d me of a little as I was manageing it for the owner who went to America. At present this forest is being cut up by new mountaining bike trails and while I have no issue, other than disturbing the wildlife, with this I fail to understand how geocaching can be an problem in comparrison. I have emailed the NIFS, but no reply, and am now thinking of going to my local MLA. I am not expecting much from him but I do not want to stand on any toes if I go down this line. The pathetic bureaucracy that we have to suffer in this country has to be lived to be believed. If, as we are led to believed, the tourist industry is so important to the future of the country why don't these departments get together and sort this and other issues out. It seems that unless you have an issue that can be tied into the past problems we have suffered in Northern Irteland then you are not really of any importance. Maybe this issue isn't important enough for the powers in place and can not assist in the power struggles that seem so important in Stormant. :x
Sorry for the rant I just want common sence to prevail and to put the cache back in place. :(

Step_7

Post by Step_7 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:15 am

Having read opalcutter's thread (http://forums.geocachingireland.com/vie ... =20&t=3520) and its enclosed email from a FSNI manager, will this allow caches on Forestry Service controlled land to be placed again? It seems, on the face of it, to provide a blanket permission so long as normal reviewer guidelines are followed.

Any chance we can put the GAGB in contact with this particular FSNI manager and finally put this long running saga to bed?

If I place a cache and cite that email as permission will it be accepted?

MunsterFan
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by MunsterFan » Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:01 am

Who are the FSNI's political masters?

Step_7

Post by Step_7 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:40 pm

Well they are part of DARD - the Department of Agriculture and Rural Development, who would report to the N.I. Assembly at Stormont made up of elected representatives who ultimately report to the voters....

That would be us.... :twisted:

Inishanier
Great Sugarloaf 501m
Great Sugarloaf 501m

Post by Inishanier » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:14 pm

Please hold for further information! :wink:
Volunteer Reviewer for Ireland

Caching as wildfowler

Reviewing as Inishanier and GeoAwareIRL

Check out [Knowledge Books] for additional tips and answers to frequently asked questions.

Step_7

Urgent Notice for all Northern Ireland Cachers

Post by Step_7 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:01 pm

Sounds good... Time to buy some more Tupperware? :lol:

opalcutter

Post by opalcutter » Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:03 pm

Just for your information these are further communications I had with John. They may be of some help..

Sent: 21 February 2012 18:12
To: Watson, John N.
Subject: RE: Geocaching

Dear John,

Thank you very much for your comprehensive answer. I am delighted by the response and would seek your permission to pass a copy on to Geocaching Ireland and to the web site http://www.geocaching.com . Both of these bodies regulate the sport and encourage a mature and responsible attitude from those participating. They also encourage the notion of "Cache in, Trash out" in an attempt to improve the environment for everybody. Forest Service Bylaws will be the first consideration of all caches. The caches will have to be passed by our own adjudicators before the location can be logged onto the web site and as such will have to confirm to all of the regulations of the land holder. Once again thank you for your positive responce as I already walk on your land on a regular basis and look forward to introducing others, via geocaching, to some of the most beautiful landscapes hidden away in Northern Ireland.

Yours Faithfully,

Alan Wallder.

rom: Watson, John N. [mailto:Email address removed - dino]
Sent: 22 February 2012 11:49
To: Walder, Alan
Subject: RE: Geocaching

Dear Alan,

I have no difficulty with you passing my Forest Service response to wherever you consider it would prove helpful. Although not a geocacher myself, over recent years I have been keeping an eye on the web and have been / am impressed with the information / guidelines provided in relation to this activity. I am particularly pleased to note the promotion of the “Cache in, Trash out” as it not only improves the environment we all enjoy but it also helps deliver a real sense of ownership to those who help maintain our countryside. This ownership & shared responsibility is something Forest Service is keen to promote within the publicly owned forests we manage.

I wish you continued enjoyment with your activity as all within Forest Service wish to see as many folk as possible enjoying public forests in a sustainable way.

Best regards

John

dino

Post by dino » Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:38 pm

I've edited the two posts to remove the FSNI email address. I'm sure the last thing this guy wants is loads of spam coming from us :wink:

opalcutter

Post by opalcutter » Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:50 pm

Woops, sorry about that.....