March 13th 2017

When I established the forums in 2005 it was to offer a more richer web experience and greater functionality than the platform where we started this social adventure in 2003, Yahoo Groups. The forums were once a busy hive of activity and provided locals and visitors with a wealth of information just like the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook today.

It was a time where we didn't have the many social media platforms we have today, and it was a different time in terms of mobility and technology. There was no instant access to information, no Google Maps and a very limited base map on your GPSr. Mobile connectivity for me was a 9600bps Infrared connection from a Nokia to a laptop and in later times to a PDA using WAP.

As we moved into the social media era so did our forums users. Geocaching Ireland moved there too, and we have a thriving community on the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook. As a result, forum activity isn't what it used to be and I have taken the decision to disable new registrations to the forums and to make the forums read only so any information there can still be accessed.

The discussion hasn't ended, it has just moved. Join us on the Facebook Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group .

Donnacha

Placement of New|Caches by new cachers

Geocache Placement and Review Discussions

Moderator: GCI Admins

celticbadger
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Placement of New|Caches by new cachers

Post by celticbadger » Sun Jun 14, 2009 7:49 am

I have noticed lately that there has been problems with the placement of new caches from reading the Logs by ne w cachers. Or their has been a problem with a site ie to close to house or no foot paths I feel that now is the time to introduce a voluntary code of practice .
This code would simply mean that when a reviewer receives a new cache he looks at the number of caches the catcher has placed or if he thinks there is a problem with location . If the number of caches found is below for argument sake 15 .The reviewer will put the cache on hold and contact a catcher near the location and give that catcher the information to check it out . The catcher in away will act as the reviewers eyes and ears on the ground and report back the findings of the visit
In that way the standard will be keep up

beefy4605
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Placement of New|Caches by new cachers

Post by beefy4605 » Sun Jun 14, 2009 8:25 am

celticbadger wrote:I have noticed lately that there has been problems with the placement of new caches from reading the Logs by ne w cachers. Or their has been a problem with a site ie to close to house or no foot paths I feel that now is the time to introduce a voluntary code of practice .
This code would simply mean that when a reviewer receives a new cache he looks at the number of caches the catcher has placed or if he thinks there is a problem with location . If the number of caches found is below for argument sake 15 .The reviewer will put the cache on hold and contact a catcher near the location and give that catcher the information to check it out . The catcher in away will act as the reviewers eyes and ears on the ground and report back the findings of the visit
In that way the standard will be keep up

Totally agree with you celticbadger. I can think of 4 caches in my area that are boxes for the sake of putting a box out.
I'm going out soon to do another one and am pretty sure that it's going to be another pointless box in a hedge because there isn't another pointless box in a hedge nearby.
I offered to help and guide some of the new cachers in the area but no reply and the caches keep coming but when you complain about their caches one of your own gets muggled.
Keep Low, Move Fast & Trust No-one . . . . .

medic143

Post by medic143 » Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:18 pm

I have to offer a dissenting viewpoint. While all in favour of maintaining high standards, as long as the pointless box is placed in the hedge in accordance with the rules and has the appropriate permissions than a cacher is entitled to place it. The appropriate "punishment" should surely be that no one visit the offending cache. If we were more honest in our opinions of caches (and I am guilty of tending not to criticise a cache even when I can't conceive why anyone would want to bring a person to a particular location) then once a poor location has been identified it should be shunned by the community.

Maybe through this process those who decline to listen to advice regarding cache placement might be more receptive on their next effort.

dino

Post by dino » Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:28 pm

medic143 wrote:I have to offer a dissenting viewpoint. While all in favour of maintaining high standards, as long as the pointless box is placed in the hedge in accordance with the rules and has the appropriate permissions than a cacher is entitled to place it. The appropriate "punishment" should surely be that no one visit the offending cache. If we were more honest in our opinions of caches (and I am guilty of tending not to criticise a cache even when I can't conceive why anyone would want to bring a person to a particular location) then once a poor location has been identified it should be shunned by the community.

Maybe through this process those who decline to listen to advice regarding cache placement might be more receptive on their next effort.
While I agree with what celticbadger is suggesting and the complaint he has medic has hit the nail on the head here. As long as the cache meets the guidelines then it will be published. It's then up to the community to be honest in their logs about how crap/good the cache really is.
Some gal would giggle and I'd get red
And some guy'd laugh and I'd bust his head,
I tell ya, life ain't easy for a boy named "Sue."

celticbadger

Post by celticbadger » Sun Jun 14, 2009 3:13 pm

What i what I am trying to get across is guidance for inexperience cachers and that someone with 6 caches found does not have the necessary skills in placing caches as to suitability or were is safe and that’s where the reviewer could ask a cacher to check it out to avoid some of the problems that have arose recently in Ulster

dino

Post by dino » Sun Jun 14, 2009 3:48 pm

Albert I get exactly what you are saying and whilst I have sympathy for your complaint unfortunately GC.com doesn't share the view and if a cache meets the guidelines then it must be published regardless of the experience of the cacher. It's far from ideal but it's what I have to work with.

daraconn
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by daraconn » Sun Jun 14, 2009 8:05 pm

I sympathise with both sides here. I think we can all feel very lucky that the average standard of caches here is so high, and that so much thought goes into them compared to other places we may have visited. I think it's understandable that we would feel the need to "do something" to prevent the standard dropping.

However, there is a real danger that we would simply end up discouraging new cachers, and appearing as a kind of "closed shop".

Drumy

Post by Drumy » Sun Jun 14, 2009 8:27 pm

hhmmmm
interesting
but you got to start somewhere
k im new to this so dont know the full story.but i have visited one site placed by someone with less finds than me and it was spot on
surly if you have problems with newbees caches you can contact them

anyway
carry-on

SargeNI
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by SargeNI » Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:00 pm

I agree with Medic on this one, I've done some super caches by newbies and some awful caches by people who have found lots, so a simple rule regarding finds before placement may not always give the desired effect.

We all get different things out of caching and our views on what constitutes a good cache is a very personal thing, I genuinely don't think that anyone sets out to place a bad cache and with hind sight they often realise their problem.

If caches are bad the logs should give you some indication somethings not quite right but this is not always the case. For example I criticized a cache recently because I though the location was poor, the container size inappropriate for the location, etc only to speak to another cacher who thought it was a great cache.

Thankfully we're not all the same and personnel I enjoy the variance, but because of this I sometimes visit a cache which I don't like - but I try and look on the positive side, maybe the next one will be better and in the majority of cases I'm pleasantly surprised.

Step_7

Post by Step_7 » Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:21 pm

I've only been caching for a couple of months now and I'll admit, the lure of placing "tupperware in a hedge" just to get my foot in the door and place my own cache is very strong! ;) However, I'm trying to find a good spot relevant to some of my other interests and do a bit of background research so that in a few years time I don't look back on my first placement and cringe at the thought of it.

Having said all that, I haven't been to a cache yet that I didn't enjoy despite a couple of them being in supermarket car parks which have very few "interesting" qualities about them other than there's a cache placement there but the kids preferred them to digging around muddy tree roots in a forest... :D

beefy4605
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by beefy4605 » Mon Jun 15, 2009 7:15 pm

As some will have noticed I have started being completly honest in my logs . If I don't like the cache I say so and why .
One person has so far ignored the logs and the other has responded and seems to be taking what I have said on board . They seem to understand what I am saying and are trying to improve the cache and the cache page . I have offered to help them and if they have any questions or queries to get in touch - we will see how it goes.

But and it's a big but if you write a TFTC TNLNSL when your really thinking why did I waste my time driving 40/50/100 miles for a cheap box of tat in a hedge how will people learn whats good or bad.
We as a community need to be honest with our logs and cache owners need to realise that it's not a personal attack .
I placed a cache in what I thought was a good spot only to be contacted by a concerned cacher that there was a "caching trail " appearing . I went and met up with the cacher and together we found a better spot for the cache so that now you don't have to leave the path to find it.It made my cache better (I think) so I'm happy.
I didn't place my first until I had nearly 100 finds and although its not compulsory it gave me a good grounding in what was good and what wasn't .
Its not a rule but perhaps it could be a general recomendation that you should try to find at least 50 before placing your own.

Step_7

Post by Step_7 » Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:10 pm

Of course, while you are researching a nice spot locally and scouting out a good hide you find that some "Old Hand" puts a cache there before you! :D :D This one appeared this evening:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_de ... e6e16154f6

I was up at this very hospital the other day and wandered over to these and logged a set of coordinates with my GPSr thinking - "That would be a great spot for a cache!"

I guess I was right! ;) Might have to head up there tonight after work to see if I'd picked a similar spot to hide the cache. I'll have to be quicker next time!

beefy4605
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by beefy4605 » Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:42 pm

Looks as if you wern't the only one eyeing it up. It must have been a 3 horse race.

modejaal

Post by modejaal » Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:34 pm

He He He. :oops: It's a wonder we didn't bump into one or other of you when WE were scouting this one out :o
I really hope it was up to standard :wink:

bigstevie1275

Post by bigstevie1275 » Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:21 pm

as a reletive newbie i think a rule is good ive only 1 cache placed and one ive got a spot for (which hopefully all going well i can place). i think the unspoken rule of 50 finds is a good start it does give you a good idea on what your looking for and what is expected,although in saying that one cache sticks in my mind the co'ords are waaaayy off and best to go by the clue which is like a pirate map take 50 steps north.. and it wasnt a great woohoo when i found it. but guide would prob help too like beefy said would be good and honest logs would too.

dino

Post by dino » Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:37 am

bigstevie1275 wrote:as a reletive newbie i think a rule is good ive only 1 cache placed and one ive got a spot for (which hopefully all going well i can place). i think the unspoken rule of 50 finds is a good start it does give you a good idea on what your looking for and what is expected,although in saying that one cache sticks in my mind the co'ords are waaaayy off and best to go by the clue which is like a pirate map take 50 steps north.. and it wasnt a great woohoo when i found it. but guide would prob help too like beefy said would be good and honest logs would too.
You should report it as a "Needs maintenance" and if nothing is a done about it then a "Needs Archived". Nothing frustrates me more than poor owner maintenance and ignoring problems with a cache ](*,)

mrmac250

Post by mrmac250 » Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:35 pm

Just thought I'd resurrect this thread, as I've a few thoughts to add.
I agree with the 50 finds goal, nearly there myself, but not ready to place a cache yet.
The more caches I find, the better I get at understanding some of the traits of the hunt!

I've come across quite a few micros, and the odd nano, which just have room for a log. I don't mind the fact that there is no treasure! I like the idea of swaping items, but that's not what encourages me.

I have found that I really like the "trickier" caches. The ones that have a few DNF. I'm actually starting to search for these! With this in mind, I've been plotting a series of "Mission Impossible" caches!!! It's very early days, (just started to jot down ideas today!), but I'm thinking of developing a trail of VERY well disguised caches - I don't mean microscopic, I mean well hidden!

Any thoughts on this idea?
Would I get flamed for making it too hard?

beefy4605
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by beefy4605 » Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:17 pm

mrmac250 wrote: Any thoughts on this idea?
I was recently a FTF on a supposedly difficult cache . Despite making it clear in my log that I would not be giving clues within 20 minutes of publishing the found log I had 3 private messages begging me to give out exactly where it was hidden . These cachers seemed to think that as I had done the hard work that I should just tell them exactly where it was so they could walk up to the cache ,put their hand on it , sign the log and move on to the next.
Make it as hard as you like but be prepared for someone to find it and then tell where/ how to find it to all those who can't be bothered to put the time in to find it.
mrmac250 wrote:Would I get flamed for making it too hard?
Yes - by the sort of people I've just described above.
Question is - Do you care? :-k [-( :-$

wildfowler
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by wildfowler » Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:44 pm

mrmac250 wrote:Just thought I'd resurrect this thread, as I've a few thoughts to add.
I agree with the 50 finds goal, nearly there myself, but not ready to place a cache yet.
The more caches I find, the better I get at understanding some of the traits of the hunt!

I've come across quite a few micros, and the odd nano, which just have room for a log. I don't mind the fact that there is no treasure! I like the idea of swaping items, but that's not what encourages me.

I have found that I really like the "trickier" caches. The ones that have a few DNF. I'm actually starting to search for these! With this in mind, I've been plotting a series of "Mission Impossible" caches!!! It's very early days, (just started to jot down ideas today!), but I'm thinking of developing a trail of VERY well disguised caches - I don't mean microscopic, I mean well hidden!

Any thoughts on this idea?
Would I get flamed for making it too hard?
Where's the fun if all caches were simple to find? I personally enjoy the challenge of finding a well hidden cache. So go for it! I won't be complaining for one!

With regards to the cache Beefy is talking about, I have looked for this one personally but could only look very quickly whilst passing through on my way home! I didn't log it as a DNF cause I didn't really give a good enough go to justify one. But it hasn't beat me yet, next time I'm up that direction I'll have another try! And no Beefy I don't want any clues! Much more fun if I find it on my own!

I have asked for help before on other caches, mainly a puzzle cache but that was because I didn't even know where to begin!!
"Wait a minute, Doc. Ah... Are you telling me that you built a time machine... out of a DeLorean?"
ImageImage

Donmoore

Post by Donmoore » Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:46 pm

This is an interesting thread, I now cache in the kingdom of caches for caches sake. whilst this is good for numbers and its not really a bad thing, that is as long as you don't just place one in a car park then directly around the corner is somewhere worth taking people... monument or place of interest.
No matter what people say geocaching is a nmbers game but lets just hope that as long as there are places of interest with out a cache that they still have space to have one placed at them.
Also I would encourage people to put nice big cache containers with good quality swap items, tricky caches with a great hide or and well made/thought out container.
But make things clear in your cache page. Where you can park, if the cache is intentionally tricky or hard to find then say so, give a good clear clue in the decrypt section (its encrypted for a reason) if you want make your cache a needle in a haystack then it should be hard enough to find with out you saying .....well nothing! Remember in general the point is to hide the cache from muggles not other cachers.
Another good thing I see done over here is caches get archived then a new cache placed in the same vacinity meaning less pointless caches but still a reason for you to return to the area and claim a new find.
I don't see any problem with power trails either along walks either as the cache in and of itself my seem pointlessyou will hopefully have encouraged people to take time to walk in great area. for example the caches along the comber greenway in co. down could be expanded to have more caches along it as there are already what appears to be a great set there.