March 13th 2017

When I established the forums in 2005 it was to offer a more richer web experience and greater functionality than the platform where we started this social adventure in 2003, Yahoo Groups. The forums were once a busy hive of activity and provided locals and visitors with a wealth of information just like the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook today.

It was a time where we didn't have the many social media platforms we have today, and it was a different time in terms of mobility and technology. There was no instant access to information, no Google Maps and a very limited base map on your GPSr. Mobile connectivity for me was a 9600bps Infrared connection from a Nokia to a laptop and in later times to a PDA using WAP.

As we moved into the social media era so did our forums users. Geocaching Ireland moved there too, and we have a thriving community on the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook. As a result, forum activity isn't what it used to be and I have taken the decision to disable new registrations to the forums and to make the forums read only so any information there can still be accessed.

The discussion hasn't ended, it has just moved. Join us on the Facebook Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group .

Donnacha

Cache Placements in Graveyards, Cemeteries or Church Grounds

Geocache Placement and Review Discussions

Moderator: GCI Admins

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Croaghan
Slieve Bearnagh North 680m
Slieve Bearnagh North 680m

Cache Placements in Graveyards, Cemeteries or Church Grounds

Post by Croaghan » Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:32 pm

Due to an increasing incidence of caches placed within graveyards, cemeteries and Church grounds I'm getting increasingly concerned about the application of "assumed permission" whereby I, as a reviewer, assume that the cache setter has obtained all the necessary permissions from an appropriate person with responsibility for the site. Deep down I know that many of these placements don't have this permission and I'm getting very concerned that as geocaching increases in popularity and becomes more widely known that we are going to receive some very bad press when some of these unauthorised caches are discovered. Therefore, I'm going to change my approach slightly to caches in such places as follows:
  • All owners of caches with physical components placed within graveyards, cemeteries and Church grounds will have to provide details of the person that provided permission for the placement. This person should be of sufficient authority to give this permission.
  • This request applies only to physical stages so virtual stages of caches within these areas that lead to a physical cache placed outside will continue to be reviewed using the principle of "assumed permission".
  • All current caches that were published under the principle of "assumed permission" are now considered "grandfathered". However, if you own such a cache that doesn't have appropriate permission I recommend that you approach the landowner for permission or change your cache to remove the physical component from the graveyard, cemetery or Church grounds.
  • To everyone that has a cache placed in such an area with full permission of the landowner I'd like to say thank you for your efforts. It may be helpful for others to place a piece in your cache description detailing who gave you permission and thanking them so that others know that it can be done and to give them an idea where to start looking.
This approach has been implemented in both the UK and in various US States after complaints from authorities within the affected Church and many caches were archived. I'd like to avoid that occurring in Ireland and so I'm adopting this approach before I start to get complaints. In the UK this was the feeling of one Vicar:
My anxiety about this is that, in looking for them, people will necessarily be rummaging around, even walking over graves. This is obviously a bit insensitive for those who have loved ones buried in the churchyard
In both the UK and US this approach was welcomed and supported by the geocaching community. I hope that this will also be the case in Ireland.

As always if anyone has any queries or questions feel free to post them here or contact me privately by PM or email via this forum or my profile on GC.com

Thanks and regards,

Niall

Croaghan - Volunteer Reviewer for Geocaching.com (Ireland)
Volunteer Reviewer for Geocaching.com (Ireland)

Reviewing as Croaghan
Caching as dino-irl

GC.com Profiles: dino-irl Croaghan

GeocachingIreland/Leave No Trace Guidelines

kersti.com
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by kersti.com » Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:30 am

It occurs to me that in trying to get permission there's a good chance that you could also come across some really interesting factoids or stories about characters in the said graveyard - and this could be used either to make the information about the cache more interesting or to provide some virtual stages on a multi that wouldn't have been included otherwise.

Kili or bust
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Kili or bust » Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:20 pm

Every cloud....!

spy caleb
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by spy caleb » Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:18 pm

I agree with dino re the graveyards, however I would not like to be the one meeting up with the local PP or Rev sir to make my case :oops: :oops: :oops: .
Would prefer to avoid them altogether if this needs to be the case [-o< [-o< .