March 13th 2017

When I established the forums in 2005 it was to offer a more richer web experience and greater functionality than the platform where we started this social adventure in 2003, Yahoo Groups. The forums were once a busy hive of activity and provided locals and visitors with a wealth of information just like the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook today.

It was a time where we didn't have the many social media platforms we have today, and it was a different time in terms of mobility and technology. There was no instant access to information, no Google Maps and a very limited base map on your GPSr. Mobile connectivity for me was a 9600bps Infrared connection from a Nokia to a laptop and in later times to a PDA using WAP.

As we moved into the social media era so did our forums users. Geocaching Ireland moved there too, and we have a thriving community on the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook. As a result, forum activity isn't what it used to be and I have taken the decision to disable new registrations to the forums and to make the forums read only so any information there can still be accessed.

The discussion hasn't ended, it has just moved. Join us on the Facebook Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group .

Donnacha

Important Information for N Ireland Cachers - National Trust

Geocache Placement and Review Discussions

Moderator: GCI Admins

Croaghan
Slieve Bearnagh North 680m
Slieve Bearnagh North 680m

Important Information for N Ireland Cachers - National Trust

Post by Croaghan » Thu Oct 09, 2008 2:11 pm

Just to let everyone know that there is now a national agreement between the GAGB and National Trust.

Full details are here for anyone thinking of placing a cache on NT property:

http://gagb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1333
Volunteer Reviewer for Geocaching.com (Ireland)

Reviewing as Croaghan
Caching as dino-irl

GC.com Profiles: dino-irl Croaghan

GeocachingIreland/Leave No Trace Guidelines

Bootle

Post by Bootle » Thu Oct 09, 2008 2:21 pm

wow. fair play to those who set this up.
hello...

Kili or bust

Post by Kili or bust » Thu Oct 09, 2008 4:16 pm

Great news indeed! =D> =D> =D>

Spark_ie
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Spark_ie » Thu Oct 09, 2008 4:54 pm

Yeah, cool :D

kersti.com

Post by kersti.com » Thu Oct 09, 2008 6:27 pm

That's a great precedent - any chance of getting hold of the regulation wording so it can be suggested to the OPW and other such organisations I wonder (says she who knows she does not have the time to follow it up if the answer is yes)?

Donmoore

Post by Donmoore » Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:37 am

That is good news. I had been in contact with a warden who had been saying that during meetings after I had been in contact all the other wardens and managers did not realise how many caches were on their property. that had been monitoring caches to make sure they had been responsibly placed and did not have any effects on the surroundings. So this goes to prove that they are now satisfied by the hobby over in NI.

I know of 2 wardens who only seem to log caches that are on NT property. So they appear to be getting paid to cache!

kersti.com

Post by kersti.com » Fri Oct 10, 2008 7:38 am

Donmoore wrote:So they appear to be getting paid to cache!
Now there's a dream job!

modejaal

Post by modejaal » Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:13 am

I'd just like to add that we contacted the National Trust as we wanted to place a cache in Cushendun (NT Heritage site) and were pleasantly surprised with the quick positive response :D .

Deborah

yotter

Post by yotter » Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:41 pm

Ona slightly different tack I had a very pleasant experience recently when asking for permission for a cache in the new Balloo Wetlands area behind the Signal Business park in Bangor. The area is managed by the Ulster Wildlife Trust and as long as I showed them where the cache was to be hidden they were positively enthusiastic about having caches placed responsibly on their land. There is at least one of their reserves they do not want caches on but would like more placed on the areas that do not currently have one. Anyone need the number to call contact me through my profile.