March 13th 2017

When I established the forums in 2005 it was to offer a more richer web experience and greater functionality than the platform where we started this social adventure in 2003, Yahoo Groups. The forums were once a busy hive of activity and provided locals and visitors with a wealth of information just like the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook today.

It was a time where we didn't have the many social media platforms we have today, and it was a different time in terms of mobility and technology. There was no instant access to information, no Google Maps and a very limited base map on your GPSr. Mobile connectivity for me was a 9600bps Infrared connection from a Nokia to a laptop and in later times to a PDA using WAP.

As we moved into the social media era so did our forums users. Geocaching Ireland moved there too, and we have a thriving community on the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook. As a result, forum activity isn't what it used to be and I have taken the decision to disable new registrations to the forums and to make the forums read only so any information there can still be accessed.

The discussion hasn't ended, it has just moved. Join us on the Facebook Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group .

Donnacha

Uh-oh - logged my visit in wrong cache - duh!

Geocache Placement and Review Discussions

Moderator: GCI Admins

rashers

Uh-oh - logged my visit in wrong cache - duh!

Post by rashers » Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:50 pm

Wow, I did sth incredibly stupid some months back and it's only just dawned on me #-o !! Was caching around Maynooth with the kids and placed a GC in GCN7DX, but then logged my visit as being in GC16HWB, a cache I'd hoped to do, but ran out of time. Poor ol' justydawson (the owner of GC16HWB) was mailing me to find out what had happened to his cache, as there was no sign of it and after assuring him I'd put it back in the same place, I even drew him a map - but of GCN7DX. I've never been to his cache!

How do I rectify this? :oops:
Rashers

donnacha
Site Admin
Site Admin
Title: King Of The Rain

Post by donnacha » Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:22 pm

Go in and delete your log and relog to the proper cache. Just click on "Vist Log" from your account page and click the "Delete" button.

rashers

Post by rashers » Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:40 pm

Thanks for that - the TB placement however, is still incorrect. Can that also be changed to read the correct cache?

dino

Post by dino » Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:12 pm

Yep, but it's a bit more complicated. Grab the log from the cache it's in now and then drop it into the proper cache. If you want you can go back and delete the bogus logs but as the distance is so small it's hardly worth while.
Some gal would giggle and I'd get red
And some guy'd laugh and I'd bust his head,
I tell ya, life ain't easy for a boy named "Sue."

rashers

Post by rashers » Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:00 pm

"Grab the log from the cache it's in now"

:-s But .. this error occured back in May and it has been moved twice since then. Surely it's too late for grabbing and you could only do that if your entry was the last in the log? Sorry about this, but I'm still confused as to how I should grab it, when that field in the log is the one that is uneditable - 'There was an action associated with this log. The log type cannot be changed'.

dino

Post by dino » Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:45 pm

Sorry, I thought it was still in the same cache you dropped it. Not sure what you can do then? What TB is it out of interest?
Some gal would giggle and I'd get red
And some guy'd laugh and I'd bust his head,
I tell ya, life ain't easy for a boy named "Sue."

johnrm

Post by johnrm » Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:17 pm

Delete the log from the incorrect cache, repost in the correct one.
Assuming you no longer have the bug, if you still have the bug ref, you can cancel your original drop and re-drop in the correct cache.
If you do not have the bug and its wandered further afield, then I wouldn't worry about it overly.
I'm sure the bug owner is not going to be too upset about an incorrect log.
Mileage wise, the 2 caches are close enough together for it not to make much of a difference.

rashers

Post by rashers » Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:01 am

The TB was Madge.

I'm not going to touch the log, 'cos it was recently in Newgrange m'thinks, and if I log it, it would look like it's come back to Maynooth, and that would only mess up the mileage even more. At least it hasn't been muggled from the 'Maynooth Rocks' cache as was originally thought.

Thanks for your help.