March 13th 2017

When I established the forums in 2005 it was to offer a more richer web experience and greater functionality than the platform where we started this social adventure in 2003, Yahoo Groups. The forums were once a busy hive of activity and provided locals and visitors with a wealth of information just like the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook today.

It was a time where we didn't have the many social media platforms we have today, and it was a different time in terms of mobility and technology. There was no instant access to information, no Google Maps and a very limited base map on your GPSr. Mobile connectivity for me was a 9600bps Infrared connection from a Nokia to a laptop and in later times to a PDA using WAP.

As we moved into the social media era so did our forums users. Geocaching Ireland moved there too, and we have a thriving community on the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook. As a result, forum activity isn't what it used to be and I have taken the decision to disable new registrations to the forums and to make the forums read only so any information there can still be accessed.

The discussion hasn't ended, it has just moved. Join us on the Facebook Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group .

Donnacha

Placing Geocaches in Coillte Maintained Forests

Geocache Placement and Review Discussions

Moderator: GCI Admins

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
User avatar
Croaghan
Slieve Bearnagh North 680m
Slieve Bearnagh North 680m
Posts: 90
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:54 am
Location: Co. Donegal
Contact:

Placing Geocaches in Coillte Maintained Forests

Post by Croaghan » Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:13 am

Hi Folks,

Just a pointer that Coillte have changed their access policies. Up until recently they had an "Open Access Policy" that allowed geoacaching under the following excerpt:
The general public are welcome to use forest lands for non-commercial, informal, recreational purposes and in particular, the areas which are developed as amenity areas. Formal permission is not required for these purposes but access is subject to visitors taking due care for their safety and respecting the nature of Coillte's commercial operation and also its rights as a landowner.
Since earlier this month they have replaced this with a new "Recreation Policy" which is available hereand in more detail here.

This policy still allows access to forests but all visitors must act in accordance with their new "User Environmental Code" (Point 7 from the second link above). The environmental code specifically mentions the "Leave No Trace" ethics programme (More info here) which Coillte both support and co-fund. Geocaching in other countries has had problems with the LNT programme as they consider it to be "organised littering".

In order to avoid the same in Ireland I will be requiring everyone to obtain adequate permission from a Coillte employee responsible for the area in which the cache is hidden until we can come to some kind of formal agreement with Coillte that geocaching is permissible under their new policy. This change in policy is currently being discussed with other Reviewers until we can arrive at a consensus but I would rather take the cautious route for now.

On that note if anyone on this forum knows anyone working within Coillte who could help us broker an agreement or who would be willing to negotiate the agreement on behalf of Irish geocachers please contact me via my profile or by email.

Any caches placed prior to September of this year are still okay as Coillte advertised the "Open Forest Policy" via their website until at least August 26th. These caches were approved under the old policy and are now "grandfathered".
Volunteer Reviewer for Geocaching.com (Ireland)

Reviewing as Croaghan
Caching as dino-irl

GC.com Profiles: dino-irl Croaghan

GeocachingIreland/Leave No Trace Guidelines

albertw
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Placing Geocaches in Coillte Maintained Forests

Post by albertw » Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:30 pm

Croaghan wrote:The environmental code specifically mentions the "Leave No Trace" ethics programme (More info here) which Coillte both support and co-fund. Geocaching in other countries has had problems with the LNT programme as they consider it to be "organised littering".
Does this mean that Coillte themselves will start adopting a Leave No Trace policy? No more random bits of broken machinery, empty oil cans, leaving marked paths in a state that are safe to use... :-)

Perhaps rather that working directly with coilte the reviewers or admins here could talk to lavenotraceireland. Their general aim seems very compatible with geocaching, and if some rules could be defined for geocaching perhaps geocaching ireland could become an official supporter.

User avatar
dino
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 5889
Joined: Mon Feb 14, 2005 8:10 pm
Location: Killygordon, Co. Donegal
Contact:

Post by dino » Thu Sep 27, 2007 7:45 am

In the pipeline :)

I like how you think Albert ;)
Some gal would giggle and I'd get red
And some guy'd laugh and I'd bust his head,
I tell ya, life ain't easy for a boy named "Sue."

Image

User avatar
Croaghan
Slieve Bearnagh North 680m
Slieve Bearnagh North 680m
Posts: 90
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:54 am
Location: Co. Donegal
Contact:

Re: Placing Geocaches in Coillte Maintained Forests

Post by Croaghan » Thu Sep 27, 2007 3:14 pm

Croaghan wrote:Hi Folks,

Just a pointer that Coillte have changed their access policies. Up until recently they had an "Open Access Policy" that allowed geoacaching under the following excerpt:
The general public are welcome to use forest lands for non-commercial, informal, recreational purposes and in particular, the areas which are developed as amenity areas. Formal permission is not required for these purposes but access is subject to visitors taking due care for their safety and respecting the nature of Coillte's commercial operation and also its rights as a landowner.
Since earlier this month they have replaced this with a new "Recreation Policy" which is available hereand in more detail here.

This policy still allows access to forests but all visitors must act in accordance with their new "User Environmental Code" (Point 7 from the second link above). The environmental code specifically mentions the "Leave No Trace" ethics programme (More info here) which Coillte both support and co-fund. Geocaching in other countries has had problems with the LNT programme as they consider it to be "organised littering".

In order to avoid the same in Ireland I will be requiring everyone to obtain adequate permission from a Coillte employee responsible for the area in which the cache is hidden until we can come to some kind of formal agreement with Coillte that geocaching is permissible under their new policy. This change in policy is currently being discussed with other Reviewers until we can arrive at a consensus but I would rather take the cautious route for now.

On that note if anyone on this forum knows anyone working within Coillte who could help us broker an agreement or who would be willing to negotiate the agreement on behalf of Irish geocachers please contact me via my profile or by email.

Any caches placed prior to September of this year are still okay as Coillte advertised the "Open Forest Policy" via their website until at least August 26th. These caches were approved under the old policy and are now "grandfathered".
As Coillte are promoting the "Leave No Trace" programme all caches on Coillte maintained land will also have to adhere to the "Leave No Trace Principles" (Link). All cache owners will be required to state that they have read these principles and that their cache adheres to them.

Hopefully, we will be able to come to an official agreement with either Coillte or Leave No Trace (Ireland) that geocaching fully fits with their requirements and become one of their official partners.

Permission to place the cache is taken as being in place when you agree to both the Geocaching.com Guidelines and the local Ireland Guidelines so specific details won't be required. However, supplying the name of the person giving permission is always a good idea in case of any future issues.
Volunteer Reviewer for Geocaching.com (Ireland)

Reviewing as Croaghan
Caching as dino-irl

GC.com Profiles: dino-irl Croaghan

GeocachingIreland/Leave No Trace Guidelines

jrm-irl
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Placing Geocaches in Coillte Maintained Forests

Post by jrm-irl » Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:14 pm

Any progress made on a joint agreement lads?

Looking to place one in a Forest Park sometime soon. Have the ranger's mobile number, so its not the end of the world if I still need direct permission from them.
But a blanket agreement would make life easier.

User avatar
dino
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 5889
Joined: Mon Feb 14, 2005 8:10 pm
Location: Killygordon, Co. Donegal
Contact:

Re: Placing Geocaches in Coillte Maintained Forests

Post by dino » Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:56 am

Nothing official from Coillte but I accept caches on their lands if people are following the LNT Guidelines. These are published under "asssumed permission" so its good that you have the ranger's contact details ;)

Oh....and welcome back again :mrgreen:
Some gal would giggle and I'd get red
And some guy'd laugh and I'd bust his head,
I tell ya, life ain't easy for a boy named "Sue."

Image

jrm-irl
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Placing Geocaches in Coillte Maintained Forests

Post by jrm-irl » Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:28 pm

dino wrote:Nothing official from Coillte but I accept caches on their lands if people are following the LNT Guidelines. These are published under "asssumed permission" so its good that you have the ranger's contact details ;)
Rang her this morning, and its all good! :D
Just need to get it all together now...expect a new cache in a fortnight (that's when I'm next heading there for an unrelated event)
dino wrote: Oh....and welcome back again :mrgreen:
Cheers Dino :wink:

abra123cadabra
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Placing Geocaches in Coillte Maintained Forests

Post by abra123cadabra » Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:40 pm

Croaghan wrote: As Coillte are promoting the "Leave No Trace" programme all caches on Coillte maintained land will also have to adhere to the "Leave No Trace Principles" (Link). All cache owners will be required to state that they have read these principles and that their cache adheres to them.

...

Permission to place the cache is taken as being in place when you agree to both the Geocaching.com Guidelines and the local Ireland Guidelines so specific details won't be required. However, supplying the name of the person giving permission is always a good idea in case of any future issues.
Maybe it's just me but I'm a bit confused. I read the "Leave no trace principles" that apply to hiding a cache on geocachingireland.com. It's mostly common sense. What I don't understand is if placing a container in a Coillte managed forest park violates these principles simply by leaving a physical container or only if the container is placed in such a way that other cachers have to violate these principles. So do I need permission or not?

User avatar
dino
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 5889
Joined: Mon Feb 14, 2005 8:10 pm
Location: Killygordon, Co. Donegal
Contact:

Re: Placing Geocaches in Coillte Maintained Forests

Post by dino » Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:59 pm

abra123cadabra wrote:What I don't understand is if placing a container in a Coillte managed forest park violates these principles simply by leaving a physical container
No.
abra123cadabra wrote:or only if the container is placed in such a way that other cachers have to violate these principles.
Yes
abra123cadabra wrote:So do I need permission or not?
No but it's always a good idea if you can. The way Coillte's access/recreation policy is written it allows you to use their forests as long as you agree to abide by the LNT principles. Our guidelines have been officially sanctioned by LNT Ireland as suitable and in line with their principles so by agreeing to abide by them you have de facto permission

8)
Some gal would giggle and I'd get red
And some guy'd laugh and I'd bust his head,
I tell ya, life ain't easy for a boy named "Sue."

Image

abra123cadabra
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Placing Geocaches in Coillte Maintained Forests

Post by abra123cadabra » Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:27 pm

dino wrote:
abra123cadabra wrote:What I don't understand is if placing a container in a Coillte managed forest park violates these principles simply by leaving a physical container
No.
abra123cadabra wrote:or only if the container is placed in such a way that other cachers have to violate these principles.
Yes
abra123cadabra wrote:So do I need permission or not?
No but it's always a good idea if you can. The way Coillte's access/recreation policy is written it allows you to use their forests as long as you agree to abide by the LNT principles. Our guidelines have been officially sanctioned by LNT Ireland as suitable and in line with their principles so by agreeing to abide by them you have de facto permission

8)
Thanks for your quick answer. I have some ideas which incorporate existing recreational features located in some of those forest parks into my first own cache.

barraseaclaid
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Placing Geocaches in Coillte Maintained Forests

Post by barraseaclaid » Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:19 pm

this post is part rant, part ask the reviewer and part beware...

so after mark called me to tell me one of my caches "owl bee watching" was now not in a forest but in a pile of felled logs somewhere i headed out to see the whole forest levelled...its been here for 30 years and as soon as a cache gets hidden in there its out with the chainsaws...unfortunately i had put a decent bit of work into it and with certain parts/stages now buried its gona be archived....(rant over)

as far as asking the reviewer is concererned I have found most of the stages but one piece is missing but having found some insulation tape that was used to camo the stage inside a ball of clingfilm and with an apple core in it too its likely that one of the coillte workers found it and removed it. My question is does muggling it consitiute theft of sorts? who owns a geocache or do you give up ownership by leaving it out the front door of your house?

last part! so having done a bit of research its wise to check that if you are hiding a cache on coillte property that you follow both the LNT and geocaching guidelines but also its worth contacting coillte to make sure that the forest isnt for the chop!!! or check their website...in the next 3 years the following forests in waterford are for felling....

2011-2015

BALLYNAMOYNTRAGH 4 (wish i had read this before!!!)
BALLYSCANLAN 3
CASTLETOWN 10
COOLAGADDEN 1
FAITHLEGG 13
GARDENMORRIS 15
NEWTOWN 2
PARKSWOOD 10
Period total: 58


2016-2020
BALLYDUFF 1
CASTLETOWN 6
FAITHLEGG 7
GARDENMORRIS 13

earthsound
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Placing Geocaches in Coillte Maintained Forests

Post by earthsound » Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:28 pm

So I'm still finding caches in Coilte Forests, including very new caches. Which leads me to ask: are cache placers / reviewers ensuring that permission has been gained or not? I've been trying to place one in Mayo for a while and emailed Coilte and had a very polite but firm 'no'.

Has there been any update on this?

User avatar
dino
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 5889
Joined: Mon Feb 14, 2005 8:10 pm
Location: Killygordon, Co. Donegal
Contact:

Re: Placing Geocaches in Coillte Maintained Forests

Post by dino » Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:43 pm

Please read posts #4, 6 and 9.

I'm surprised you received a no as Coillte HO while not officially sanctioning geocaching are happy for it to be on their lands, don't require a permit and just want us to follow the LNT principles.
Some gal would giggle and I'd get red
And some guy'd laugh and I'd bust his head,
I tell ya, life ain't easy for a boy named "Sue."

Image

Post Reply
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests