March 13th 2017

When I established the forums in 2005 it was to offer a more richer web experience and greater functionality than the platform where we started this social adventure in 2003, Yahoo Groups. The forums were once a busy hive of activity and provided locals and visitors with a wealth of information just like the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook today.

It was a time where we didn't have the many social media platforms we have today, and it was a different time in terms of mobility and technology. There was no instant access to information, no Google Maps and a very limited base map on your GPSr. Mobile connectivity for me was a 9600bps Infrared connection from a Nokia to a laptop and in later times to a PDA using WAP.

As we moved into the social media era so did our forums users. Geocaching Ireland moved there too, and we have a thriving community on the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook. As a result, forum activity isn't what it used to be and I have taken the decision to disable new registrations to the forums and to make the forums read only so any information there can still be accessed.

The discussion hasn't ended, it has just moved. Join us on the Facebook Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group .

Donnacha

Rookie Placement

Geocache Placement and Review Discussions

Moderator: GCI Admins

Tmsr
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Rookie Placement

Post by Tmsr » Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:35 am

While there are online guidelines for placing caches, and recommendations on the website that you find at least 20 caches before hiding one. I'd suggest that reviewers might look at considering some sort of minimum experience level before publication.
We all started off with no experience, and it's great to see more people playing the game, but frequently one goes to a rookie placement wondering if co-ords will be semi-accurate or the container concealed in some way. I do think that never having found a cache and being accepted for publication could prove a waste of reviewer's and geocacher time.
Classic example is http://coord.info/GC5AG5N where an experienced cacher found something on the ground a month ago (FTF! or will it be an OTF!?) and it was disabled and not replaced to date. Significantly, the owners have still not registered a geocache find so might not be too inspired about suitable containers or locations...
It's great to see new geocachers in the field - after a match nearby, the senior geokid spotted a pair lurking near a cache of ours yesterday and we were able to assist them, and in due course they'll find locating (and possibly hiding a geocache) a more easy proposition. Might it be worthwhile that Groundspeak introduces a reviewer requirement that at least a minimum of 3 geocaches be found before becoming a CO?

fitzet
Lugnaquillia 925m
Lugnaquillia 925m

Re: Rookie Placement

Post by fitzet » Sun Sep 07, 2014 11:30 am

A previous, and similar, discussion.

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=3415

For what it's worth, I agree, X finds before publishing first cache.

tramyard
Great Sugarloaf 501m
Great Sugarloaf 501m

Post by tramyard » Sun Sep 07, 2014 7:28 pm

Similar story here http://coord.info/GC4GY8F

dino

Post by dino » Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:09 pm

Not in the guidelines so we are unable to enforce a rule like that here without global support. I think HQ have considered something like that but decided not to proceed.

To be honest I've seen some shocking bad placements by COs with hundreds of finds! You also have the problem for someone who caches as a team but wants to place on their own.
Some gal would giggle and I'd get red
And some guy'd laugh and I'd bust his head,
I tell ya, life ain't easy for a boy named "Sue."