March 13th 2017

When I established the forums in 2005 it was to offer a more richer web experience and greater functionality than the platform where we started this social adventure in 2003, Yahoo Groups. The forums were once a busy hive of activity and provided locals and visitors with a wealth of information just like the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook today.

It was a time where we didn't have the many social media platforms we have today, and it was a different time in terms of mobility and technology. There was no instant access to information, no Google Maps and a very limited base map on your GPSr. Mobile connectivity for me was a 9600bps Infrared connection from a Nokia to a laptop and in later times to a PDA using WAP.

As we moved into the social media era so did our forums users. Geocaching Ireland moved there too, and we have a thriving community on the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook. As a result, forum activity isn't what it used to be and I have taken the decision to disable new registrations to the forums and to make the forums read only so any information there can still be accessed.

The discussion hasn't ended, it has just moved. Join us on the Facebook Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group .

Donnacha

EarthCache Virtual 5K

Talk about events

Moderator: GCI Admins

abbeyackbar
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

EarthCache Virtual 5K

Post by abbeyackbar » Sat Sep 27, 2014 10:37 pm

Just published:
http://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC5D ... virtual-5k

Posting on the forum for discussion, queries, questions...

I found out about the EarthCache Virtual 5k in a newsletter I received from the geosociety earthcache people. Thought it would make a good event so here it is 8) Thanks to Inishanier for publishing it, I know it was just in the nick of time too! [:)]

- Abbey

Doug.G
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Re: EarthCache Virtual 5K

Post by Doug.G » Sat Sep 27, 2014 10:59 pm

Oh no... clashes with the Avon River Kayaking assault. Can I virtually attend the virtual earth cache event via FaceTime? Will be covering 8km on the Avon, so distance is good...

abbeyackbar
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by abbeyackbar » Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:06 am

Remember, you don't have to attend this event to participate in EarthCache virtual 5k. You can always secure the icon by walking/cycling 5k beginning at or ending at any active EarthCache site anytime between 3rd & 13th October. So in short, Doug, no :)

Remember the 12th is International Earthcache Day. You get a Souvenir for locating an Earthcache that day.

I would have had the event that day obviously were it possible.

(Note: I don't get it myself why it's called Earthcache "Virtual 5k" when there's nothing virtual about the 5k. Perhaps it refers to "EarthCache Virtual" like a cache type...I dont know but I didn't come up with it. It hasn't escaped my notice either that there is specifically a requirement for upload of photo of yourself as part of the requirements to get the icon...anyone else find that amusing given that they insist you can't ask for photos as part of the logging requirements for an EarthCache :D

- Abbey

SuperDave_GPS
Great Sugarloaf 501m
Great Sugarloaf 501m

Post by SuperDave_GPS » Sun Sep 28, 2014 4:18 pm

Groundspeak has been know on multiple occasions to make up or break their own rules on the fly to best suit their own interests.

According to Groundspeak's own rules for this event, then theoretically, I should be able to "attend" this event from over here in Canada.

Doug.G
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

EarthCache Virtual 5K

Post by Doug.G » Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:00 pm

So then Miss Bubbles - will there be Virtual attendees allowed? ;-)
Groundspeak has spoken (apparently)

abbeyackbar
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by abbeyackbar » Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:56 pm

:roll:

Logs that do not have a matching signature in the event logbook will be deleted :twisted:

Earthcache Virtual 5k is not a Groundspeak thing. It is a GSA(Geological Society of America)/EarthCache.org thing. Exhibit A: (see the small print under the logo)
ECVirtualRacelogo.jpg
ECVirtualRacelogo.jpg (33.95 KiB) Viewed 2705 times
This geocaching event is being held to join in the celebration of the 10yr anniversary of the GSA's EarthCache venture.
as for "Groundspeak's own rules for this event":
This event meets Groundspeaks guidelines for events. Exhibit B:
http://support.groundspeak.com/index.ph ... age&id=454
(I couldn't find a Groundspeak rulebook on events) and under these guidelines, event caches bring geocachers together at a time and co-ordinates specified on the event cache page (by the event host - me :)) To sum up, if you haven't come together and met up with fellow geocachers and actually attended the location during the time of the event, you can't post that you were there and log 'attended'.

Simples :)

In fact... :twisted: the guidelines state that "event caches are gatherings of local geocachers" which rules out Canadian cacher attendance for this event :wink: Hmmm, same goes for you too I guess Doug :twisted: :lol:
and as these are Groundspeaks guidelines and not rules, I guess it's up to the event hosts whether to allow attendance of non-local cachers to their events so be nice to your event hosts! :lol:

The only official rules that have to be met are those by Earthcache.org which are stated on the event page and must be adhered to by all those undertaking the 5k part of the event. As stated on the cache page the requirements stated in the rules are not requirements to participate in the event. Those not wishing to undertake the 5k can "come along at the start to say hello and sign the logbook and/or to just enjoy a stroll on the beach"

So Mr.G, that would be a no then :che

and to anyone who thinks of contesting any of the above (you've too much time on your hands) you're a cotton headed ninny muggins! :lol: (Heard it today (from the movie Elf) and just had to add that :D)

- Abbey (Smiling's my favourite :D (also from the movie Elf. I LOVE that movie! 8))

(P.S. Really flattered you guys want to 'attend' my event so bad that you'll try anything to say that you were there :wink: Virtual hug :) )

mac aroni senior
Great Sugarloaf 501m
Great Sugarloaf 501m

Post by mac aroni senior » Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:08 pm

So ..............as I have logged the North Bull Island Earth Cache already, I don't earn the souvenir? I have to go and find a different Earth Cache?

abbeyackbar
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by abbeyackbar » Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:42 pm

mac aroni senior wrote:So ..............as I have logged the North Bull Island Earth Cache already, I don't earn the souvenir? I have to go and find a different Earth Cache?
Yep, you have to find an EarthCache on International EarthCache Day (Sunday 12th) to get the Souvenir - an EarthCache you haven't previously done. Again, I would have had the event that day were it possible. They have a Souvenir each year now for finding an EarthCache on International EarthCache Day.

Separately, if you partake in the EarthCache Virtual 5k 'challenge' at any time between Friday 03rd & Monday 13th October (so not necessarily attend the event at North Bull Island on the 11th October) you will be sent an icon via email that you can display on your profile from GSA/EarthCache.org. This is not a Souvenir. It's an icon, like the Guinness icon that geocachers can upload to their profiles after they find the 'Guinness Logbook of Records' cache.

- Abbey

diosma1
Knockmealdown 794m
Knockmealdown 794m
Title: **Child**

Post by diosma1 » Sat Oct 04, 2014 4:53 pm

Hi. Just wondering could someone possibly give us (me and my aunt (strawberrypickers)) a lift from Luas Red Cow at 10AM to GZ if possible? Thanks so much :)