March 13th 2017

When I established the forums in 2005 it was to offer a more richer web experience and greater functionality than the platform where we started this social adventure in 2003, Yahoo Groups. The forums were once a busy hive of activity and provided locals and visitors with a wealth of information just like the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook today.

It was a time where we didn't have the many social media platforms we have today, and it was a different time in terms of mobility and technology. There was no instant access to information, no Google Maps and a very limited base map on your GPSr. Mobile connectivity for me was a 9600bps Infrared connection from a Nokia to a laptop and in later times to a PDA using WAP.

As we moved into the social media era so did our forums users. Geocaching Ireland moved there too, and we have a thriving community on the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook. As a result, forum activity isn't what it used to be and I have taken the decision to disable new registrations to the forums and to make the forums read only so any information there can still be accessed.

The discussion hasn't ended, it has just moved. Join us on the Facebook Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group .

Donnacha

Event GC59M1B at The Eden

Talk about events

Moderator: GCI Admins

Tmsr
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Event GC59M1B at The Eden

Post by Tmsr » Sat Sep 13, 2014 7:43 pm

A couple of people I spoke to last week didn't connect the Rory's Return (from NZ to Ireland) Event
GC59M1B with our junior geokid from tmsr. The event is being hosted at our suggestion by a visiting cacher: Steve (Cats and Dragons) from New Zealand to return Rory's Ireland geocoin to him. He contacted us having picked up the coin at the Bay of Plenty and as it was then due to travel back to Rathfarnham, offered to deliver it personally. Inspired by Gerlor's event, we proposed an event be held to facilitate this. He has been travelling across Europe finding some distinguished old Jasmers - (last spotted by us at GC40 - check out those coordinates!!!).
We'd love to see old faces and new along to the Eden which was a favoured venue for events in times past. It was where Hezekiah gifted Rory the coin a couple of years ago, and we hope he'll be able to join us, along with Fjon whose Stargate cache got it to NZ in the first place.
As the event is an early start to allow for children attending (and to use the Snug before a Table Quiz kicks off at 8pm), we're hoping that those who are unencumbered by other pesky non-geocaching business like work might check out the appropriate New Zealand in Ireland cache (Jointly placed by Hezekiah and a friend of Steve's known as Zork V) across the road in Marlay Park beforehand (and maybe visit some of the other caches in Marlay while there - you may bump into other cachers such as the host in advance!)
See ye there!