March 13th 2017

When I established the forums in 2005 it was to offer a more richer web experience and greater functionality than the platform where we started this social adventure in 2003, Yahoo Groups. The forums were once a busy hive of activity and provided locals and visitors with a wealth of information just like the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook today.

It was a time where we didn't have the many social media platforms we have today, and it was a different time in terms of mobility and technology. There was no instant access to information, no Google Maps and a very limited base map on your GPSr. Mobile connectivity for me was a 9600bps Infrared connection from a Nokia to a laptop and in later times to a PDA using WAP.

As we moved into the social media era so did our forums users. Geocaching Ireland moved there too, and we have a thriving community on the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook. As a result, forum activity isn't what it used to be and I have taken the decision to disable new registrations to the forums and to make the forums read only so any information there can still be accessed.

The discussion hasn't ended, it has just moved. Join us on the Facebook Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group .

Donnacha

Maker Madness event

Talk about events

Moderator: GCI Admins

abbeyackbar
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Maker Madness event

Post by abbeyackbar » Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:42 pm

From the blog "Finding a great geocache can make for an awe-inspiring adventure, but those adventures do not magically appear on their own. They are concocted inside the brilliant mind of a Geocache Maker. This crazy thing we call geocaching would simply not exist without the people who channel their creativity and innovative spirit into making great experiences for others.

From March 28 – April 7, geocachers around the world will join together to celebrate the people in their community who make geocaching possible. We call this celebration Maker Madness.

We’re calling all Geocache Makers (and folks who want to celebrate their favorite Makers) to host events to celebrate geocache creation and to inspire the next generation of geocache makers. Anyone who logs an “Attended” at a registered Maker Madness event will earn a Maker Madness souvenir."

So that's Maker Madness. I'm posting this because i'm thinking of hosting a Maker Madness event and want to see if there's interest in it. I'm thinking Dear old Deer Park (if it's available) on the evening of Saturday 5th April. Details of the event to be added later. Ideas, thoughts, suggestions, let me hear 'em.

Abbey

GoldCircle
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Re: Maker Madness event

Post by GoldCircle » Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:02 am

Excellent idea - but the hotel is not taking bookings... :shock:
Image Image

Doug.G
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Doug.G » Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:51 am

Camping Event then...!!!!!!

MunsterFan
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by MunsterFan » Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:01 am

Whom do you propose to honour?

abbeyackbar
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by abbeyackbar » Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:48 pm

GoldCircle wrote:Excellent idea - but the hotel is not taking bookings... :shock:
Not taking bookings for overnight stays but the bar area is still available to host the event at. (I phoned them) Accomodation elsewhere in the area if it's needed. In any case, it doesn't have to be Deer Park, the event could be held anywhere. It's just a handy spot that's worked well in the past (big room to ourselves, wifi, separate bills...).
Doug.G wrote:Camping Event then...!!!!!!
plenty of space in the car park for your rig Doug, I'm sure they won't mind :wink: Nice view from Hole 9 too :)
MunsterFan wrote:Whom do you propose to honour?
I had no whom in mind. The maker madness is in celebration of all creative hides and hiders.

MunsterFan
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by MunsterFan » Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:41 pm

Not what I got from the jist of the article but not that important

TXLiz
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by TXLiz » Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:29 pm

:lol: @ I had no whom in mind.
~Strangely Strange But Oddly Normal~

THE_Chris
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by THE_Chris » Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:35 pm

Sounds like a good idea to me! You can showcase all your future hides, so there will be less swearing in the field :D

Blue Jay
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Blue Jay » Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:37 pm

Great idea Abbey - we will do our best to attend. 8)
I like your idea Chris :D
There is an event on in town the following day too. I could be a busy weekend.

"Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative" - Oscar Wilde

abbeyackbar
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by abbeyackbar » Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:42 pm

Guess what? We have ourselves a Maker Madness event 8)
http://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC4Y ... 306989022e
Watch this space...

love
Great Sugarloaf 501m
Great Sugarloaf 501m

Post by love » Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:59 pm

Thanks for co-hosting with me, AbbeyAckbar!! I'm really excited to see the fun caches of Ireland. :)

abbeyackbar
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by abbeyackbar » Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:55 am

Hi all,

Just want to clarify that the event location is The Maldron (near the Bord Gáis Energy Theatre) on Cardiff Lane. The upstairs, mezzanine level of the Vertigo bar is where we will be. You can purchase food/drink from the bar downstairs.

If you can, please bring in pictures or video of fun geocaches you've found, or ones that are on your wishlist to find or bring in fun ones you've made (hidden or currently in production! :D)

The event is on Sunday, the 6th April.
Maldron Hotel.jpg
Vertigo bar downstairs.jpg
Vertigo bar upstairs.jpg