March 13th 2017

When I established the forums in 2005 it was to offer a more richer web experience and greater functionality than the platform where we started this social adventure in 2003, Yahoo Groups. The forums were once a busy hive of activity and provided locals and visitors with a wealth of information just like the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook today.

It was a time where we didn't have the many social media platforms we have today, and it was a different time in terms of mobility and technology. There was no instant access to information, no Google Maps and a very limited base map on your GPSr. Mobile connectivity for me was a 9600bps Infrared connection from a Nokia to a laptop and in later times to a PDA using WAP.

As we moved into the social media era so did our forums users. Geocaching Ireland moved there too, and we have a thriving community on the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook. As a result, forum activity isn't what it used to be and I have taken the decision to disable new registrations to the forums and to make the forums read only so any information there can still be accessed.

The discussion hasn't ended, it has just moved. Join us on the Facebook Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group .

Donnacha

Mega 2014: Ayr Racecourse (near Prestwick Airport)

Talk about events

Moderator: GCI Admins

TheBigAndyT
Slieve Donard 850m
Slieve Donard 850m

Re: Mega 2014: Ayr Racecourse (near Prestwick Airport)

Post by TheBigAndyT » Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:34 pm

After my second attempt to catch a ferry,I'm almost in Scotland. Looking forward to my pie now

THE_Chris
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by THE_Chris » Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:48 pm

Weather forecast looks like a horror show. Easily localised flooding levels of rain. Hope I'll be able to get from Glasgow to Ayr.....

Edit: Then the low pressure swings back round and the ass of it hits on Sunday morning. Mightn't see any time on this whole trip without rain!

Waterproofs packed.

Doug.G
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Doug.G » Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:41 pm

What rain ?!!
Just snapped this photo from the hotel window in Ayr - as I was heading out the door to the Highland Games Event...
Attachments
image.jpg

TheBigAndyT
Slieve Donard 850m
Slieve Donard 850m

Post by TheBigAndyT » Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:23 am

Had a blast over the weekend, didn't arrive until Friday night and had to leave Saturday evening but got to do loads. Wish I could have met up with some of the local cachers but couldn't find you guys but I Really enjoyed hangin out with other cachers and will have to make more of an effort to attend more events closer to home.

sgtzara
Slieve Bearnagh North 680m
Slieve Bearnagh North 680m

Post by sgtzara » Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:00 pm

+1 an enjoyable event. Got absolutely soaked on the motorbike but hey-ho, you take your chances.

Glad to see that Ireland was well represented at same.

Had my first ever taste of haggis at the Ceilidh .... it was actually better than what I was expecting. Perhaps the nice sauce that came with it had something to do with it.

Looking forward to Essex 2015.

Nice to bump into Doug G in the wild too. What's the odds?