March 13th 2017

When I established the forums in 2005 it was to offer a more richer web experience and greater functionality than the platform where we started this social adventure in 2003, Yahoo Groups. The forums were once a busy hive of activity and provided locals and visitors with a wealth of information just like the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook today.

It was a time where we didn't have the many social media platforms we have today, and it was a different time in terms of mobility and technology. There was no instant access to information, no Google Maps and a very limited base map on your GPSr. Mobile connectivity for me was a 9600bps Infrared connection from a Nokia to a laptop and in later times to a PDA using WAP.

As we moved into the social media era so did our forums users. Geocaching Ireland moved there too, and we have a thriving community on the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook. As a result, forum activity isn't what it used to be and I have taken the decision to disable new registrations to the forums and to make the forums read only so any information there can still be accessed.

The discussion hasn't ended, it has just moved. Join us on the Facebook Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group .

Donnacha

Multi-Millennial Milestone Month of Madness - Sat. 19th Oct

Talk about events

Moderator: GCI Admins

fitzet
Lugnaquillia 925m
Lugnaquillia 925m

Re: Multi-Millennial Milestone Month of Madness - Sat. 19th

Post by fitzet » Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:08 pm

Doug.G wrote:Does anyone think that the Ireland's Eye cache (GCKE1Z) should be a T5? I thought the guidelines said that if you need a boat, then that makes it a T5. Just noticed it is a T3.
T3
Not suitable for small children
The average adult or older child should be OK depending on physical condition. Terrain is likely off-trail. May have one or more of the following: some overgrowth, some steep elevation changes, or more than a 2 mile hike.

T5
Extremely challenging terrain Requires specialized equipment (boat, 4WD, rock climbing, SCUBA, etc.) or is otherwise extremely difficult.
Ignoring the need for a boat, then Ireland's Eye meets the criteria for a T3. We did it in 2009 when the kids were 9 & 7. And it is possible to get a commercial service to Ireland's Eye. But, if it meets the criteria for a T5, then it's an easy T5 ;).

One of my bugbears is that I am CO to a T5, have been to the location many times, yet get no credit on the grid for having logged a T5. The only similar cache I have logged is a T4, but that may be 'cause it is possible to swim there.

Tmsr
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Tmsr » Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:53 am

Not sure if we'll have time for Ireland's Eye that afternoon, but still hoping to have a go at Twinkly Lights that evening once we've met up with others at the Event...

Eclectic Penguin

Post by Eclectic Penguin » Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:09 pm

Is there a time for the Saturday attempt at Ireland's Eye - and where does it embark from?

This, being weather dependent, it isn't looking promising at the moment - the wind is predicted at 25-30Kmh. I know we were thwarted several times with lesser winds than this when we attempted to do a similar island visit to Flatholm out of Cardiff a few years ago. This was becaue, for Flatholm, the only way to disembark onto the island was for the boat to effectively beach itself next to the small pier. I think it took us 4 attempts on separate dates in total.

I'm still also hoping to go to the Meet the Swedes event at GC43 as it doesn't clash with the main evening event.

I'm also up for Twinkly Lights - I assume this is for after the event on Saturday. Must find my head-torch.

Eclectic Penguin

Post by Eclectic Penguin » Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:13 pm

GoldCircle - if any of those TBs want to go to mainland UK, I shall be heading there for a week at the end of December. I'll take a few over there anyway. I don't know if there are any events nearby in the week I'll be there - I'm missing one large annual event in Wales by 4 days, unfortunately - they changed the date last year so that I could attend, but it hasn't happened this year.

fitzet
Lugnaquillia 925m
Lugnaquillia 925m

Post by fitzet » Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:12 pm

Eclectic Penguin wrote:Is there a time for the Saturday attempt at Ireland's Eye - and where does it embark from?
I posted on the event page, some pre-planning is needed to get to Ireland's Eye this weekend. I was looking at a different wind forecast to the one you reference, but still 'not calm' :P.

abbeyackbar
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by abbeyackbar » Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:06 pm

I hear there has been rumours so I thought I'd confirm. There WILL be new caches published in Howth this weekend. I have 5, all different types, to be published over the weekend (a traditional, a multi, a puzzle, an earthcache and a letterbox hybrid) All except for 1 have been reviewed and are ready to be published. Hopefully i'll have the fifth (the letterbox hybrid) up for review soon and that it gets published too.

In the interest of being helpful to my fellow cachers :) and so you can be prepared for the caches before you arrive in Howth, i'll tell you that you will need a tape measure for the earthcache and an A4 sized notepad or book (something hard to lean/work on basically) for the puzzle cache.

I heard someone else may have a few other hides for the weekend too...

Abbey

btw, the cache 'Serenity' in Howth has been relocated (both the stage and the final) so be sure to update this on your GPS if you've yet to do it.

Blue Jay
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Blue Jay » Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:33 pm

Thanks Abbey - looking froward to all the fun.

"Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative" - Oscar Wilde

Eclectic Penguin

Post by Eclectic Penguin » Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:33 pm

fitzet - yes, I saw that. The reason I asked was I was wondering if someone had gotten the ball rolling by contacting the company. I guess not - plenty else to to while there in an area I haven't been to before!

Doug.G
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Doug.G » Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:27 pm

Denise - while you are at it... would you be so kind as to pull some strings and publish a new Virtual on Casana Rock. I assume your new Earth Cache is there as well :-)

THE_Chris
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by THE_Chris » Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:06 pm

Well, pretty much packed and ready... lets do this weekend of utter madness. 2 days, 3 events!

First task is a 9am out-the-door for a run to Bray for Meet The Swedes... then off to Howth for a day of caching!

MunsterFan
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by MunsterFan » Sat Oct 19, 2013 3:38 am

Enjoy, only family commitments is stopping me from being there!

fitzet
Lugnaquillia 925m
Lugnaquillia 925m

Post by fitzet » Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:51 am

If I could award a favourite point for a log, I would award one for this.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx ... b33cd7fac5

:D

dino

Post by dino » Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:29 pm

=D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>
Some gal would giggle and I'd get red
And some guy'd laugh and I'd bust his head,
I tell ya, life ain't easy for a boy named "Sue."