March 13th 2017

When I established the forums in 2005 it was to offer a more richer web experience and greater functionality than the platform where we started this social adventure in 2003, Yahoo Groups. The forums were once a busy hive of activity and provided locals and visitors with a wealth of information just like the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook today.

It was a time where we didn't have the many social media platforms we have today, and it was a different time in terms of mobility and technology. There was no instant access to information, no Google Maps and a very limited base map on your GPSr. Mobile connectivity for me was a 9600bps Infrared connection from a Nokia to a laptop and in later times to a PDA using WAP.

As we moved into the social media era so did our forums users. Geocaching Ireland moved there too, and we have a thriving community on the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook. As a result, forum activity isn't what it used to be and I have taken the decision to disable new registrations to the forums and to make the forums read only so any information there can still be accessed.

The discussion hasn't ended, it has just moved. Join us on the Facebook Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group .

Donnacha

Multi-Millennial Milestone Month of Madness - Sat. 19th Oct

Talk about events

Moderator: GCI Admins

GoldCircle
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Multi-Millennial Milestone Month of Madness - Sat. 19th Oct

Post by GoldCircle » Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:43 pm

http://coord.info/GC4NENJ is in the queue! And we have great plans for the evening of Saturday 19th October 2013 in the bar of the Deerpark Hotel in Howth, Co. Dublin. Put it in your diary now!

GoldCircle, Doug.G, tmst and misteek will all be celebrating their 1000th cache finds in this period of time and are having an *ahem* quiet little get together! :twisted:

More detail to follow later, but we are looking at a trip to Ireland's Eye or possibly Cassana Rock the following day - Sunday 20th.
Image Image

mac aroni senior
Great Sugarloaf 501m
Great Sugarloaf 501m

Re: Multi-Millennial Milestone Month of Madness - Sat. 19th

Post by mac aroni senior » Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:37 pm

What type of madness are you considering?

Tmsr
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Tmsr » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:53 pm

Madness comes naturally for some of the crew but looks like Kevin, Helen & ourselves will have a fairly mad time to reach the required four figures during the designated month!

GoldCircle
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by GoldCircle » Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:23 pm

Whether you're just over or just under the mark doesn't diminish the achievement of getting that far, does it? Not a bit.

I've just booked myself a room at the Deerpark for €55 single occupancy, including breakfast - exceptional value. I stayed over at the AA milestone event last Feb. and while the hotel is a little dated for sure, it is clean, comfortable, has pretty large rooms, has wifi and the breakfast was excellent. I fully intent to use the pool this time too!
Image Image

Doug.G
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Doug.G » Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:59 pm

Oh I think madness must include wetsuits... and watercraft of some kind...

Eclectic Penguin

Post by Eclectic Penguin » Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:27 am

Booked in at the Deerpark for Saturday night - for less than €50! Not as cheap as camping but for a hotel and spa, these prices are ... madness :)

I'll be driving up from Cork on Saturday morning, booking into the hotel as early as possible and then caching in uncharted terretory (for me) for the rest of the day (unless some other group plan forms to commit some acts of madness).

I'm up for the trip to Ireland's Eye (be it Saturday or Sunday) so I'll keep an eye here for costs etc.

fitzet
Lugnaquillia 925m
Lugnaquillia 925m

Post by fitzet » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:39 am

Some pointers for those attending this event.
- if you're staying overnight, or at least 'til after dark, The Twinkly Lights (GC44HEF) should be part of your itinerary. For those who want to push their nighttime navigation skills, record a waypoint for the Deer Park on your GPSr, then find your way back from GZ. Should take about 15 minutes.
- there are, AFAIK, 2 ferry services to Ireland's Eye. Not sure if they'll still be running in October. If you're making your own way over, the 'hike' to the cache is straightforward, but if you're in neoprene, then the difficulty is enhanced. From experience, using the ferry on a day with some swell leads to a lot of sea spray off the bow. A change of clothes should be considered.
- Casana Rock is active again. This presents a number of physical challenges. Getting to the rock, getting on to the rock, scrambling over rough terrain to GZ. The cache container is not concealed; accidental discovery is not an issue ! The spoiler photos and hint should be referenced.
- Saturday October 19 is the last day of the Howth YC Autumn League competition. This means a higher than usual demand for car parking at the inner pier near the clubhouse and the RNLI station.

GoldCircle
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by GoldCircle » Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:50 pm

Thanks for the insights, Fitzet - much appreciated!
Image Image

MunsterFan
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by MunsterFan » Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:47 pm

Ohh this is just becoming too attractive.... must resist..... should I resist.... Grrr!!!

GoldCircle
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by GoldCircle » Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:37 pm

For anyone looking to put a group together for Where Bats Dare (GC1N065), the tide information is here: http://www.hyc.ie/tides/win_tides.asp?s ... -673&y=-70 - low tide is late afternoon, but well before sunset. IIRC, the optimal time to enter the cave is about 1 hour before low.

I also know there is some real interest in Lion's Head (GC1WREN) also, as this is not tide dependent (best as I recall), I'd be suggesting a morning assault for this. As it has two reasonably physical stages with S1 being pretty tough, I'd be budgeting 2.5 hours - it always takes longer than you expect.

I also have it on good authority that there may be a few new caches surfacing on the day in the Howth area. 'nuff said! :wink:
Image Image

THE_Chris
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by THE_Chris » Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:29 am

Sounds like this is shaping up to be one hell of a weekend! With ANOTHER new event published we'll now have a threefer (better than a twofer) on that weekend. Swedes in Bray Sat morning, Multi Millenial Sat evening, and Meet the Danes on Sun evening.

Multi Millenial takes precedence though, of course! There are a hell of a lot of caches to mop up in Howth for me... arrival time depends on Casana/IrelandsEye though. We'll have to see. Can't wait for this one though.

Eclectic Penguin

Post by Eclectic Penguin » Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:05 pm

Are there any further plans to sail to Ireland's Eye? I'm definitely in for this one, if it takes place.

I'm hoping to go to the Swedes event in the morning but if the trip to Ireland's eye clashes, the Swedish event will have to be dropped.

THE_Chris
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by THE_Chris » Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:55 pm

I think our main event host is over in Seattle getting the Lilypad for his #1000, so I'm not sure if theres been any progress. I plan to hit the Swedish even too, but like you I'll give that a miss if Irelands Eye or Casana clashes.

fitzet
Lugnaquillia 925m
Lugnaquillia 925m

Post by fitzet » Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:29 am

Any plan to venture out of Howth Harbour, whether to Ireland's Eye or to Casana Rock, is entirely weather dependent. It is not possible to be certain about the weather 'til closer to the day.

Doug.G
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Doug.G » Sat Oct 05, 2013 12:32 am

I have asked the same kayaking crowd that took us to Dalkey Island whether they will "do Howth" as well. Awaiting their confirmation. Keep you posted.

Tmsr
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Tmsr » Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:09 am

Enough on dry land for us!
We'll be using the day to have the kids rack up the final caches needed around the Howth area so might link up with others round those parts too on the Saturday, and love the sound of the night cache that was mentioned as it'll be dark early enough if people are interested...?

fitzet
Lugnaquillia 925m
Lugnaquillia 925m

Post by fitzet » Sat Oct 05, 2013 5:14 pm

For anyone interested in tackling The Twinkly Lights, I could transport 6 from the Deer Park to the start point and later help ye find your way back again.

Tmsr
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Tmsr » Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:41 pm

We'll be interested if others would like to join in? Thanks Fitzet

THE_Chris
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by THE_Chris » Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:57 pm

I'm up for Twinkly Lights too, possibly on the Saturday night. Missed it last time around.

Blue Jay
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Blue Jay » Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:22 pm

We're up for Twinkly lights as well. Count us in. :D
We went to Ireland's Eye last year, so won't venture there again.

"Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative" - Oscar Wilde