March 13th 2017

When I established the forums in 2005 it was to offer a more richer web experience and greater functionality than the platform where we started this social adventure in 2003, Yahoo Groups. The forums were once a busy hive of activity and provided locals and visitors with a wealth of information just like the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook today.

It was a time where we didn't have the many social media platforms we have today, and it was a different time in terms of mobility and technology. There was no instant access to information, no Google Maps and a very limited base map on your GPSr. Mobile connectivity for me was a 9600bps Infrared connection from a Nokia to a laptop and in later times to a PDA using WAP.

As we moved into the social media era so did our forums users. Geocaching Ireland moved there too, and we have a thriving community on the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook. As a result, forum activity isn't what it used to be and I have taken the decision to disable new registrations to the forums and to make the forums read only so any information there can still be accessed.

The discussion hasn't ended, it has just moved. Join us on the Facebook Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group .

Donnacha

Dalkey Island Event

Talk about events

Moderator: GCI Admins

Doug.G
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Dalkey Island Event

Post by Doug.G » Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:47 pm

Right! The Dalkey Island event has finally been published (GC4KCDA). For those interested in hiring a kayak... they are available for €45 per person/boat (i.e. no double kayaks) from Bulloch Harbour. The price also includes any extra gear you may need (e.g. wetsuits, life jackets, etc... but NOT footwear). There is currently a limit of 12 kayaks set aside for the Geocaching Event... so get in quick. Not sure if more kayaks will be be made available should we use up our initial complement.

Fjon
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Re: Dalkey Island Event

Post by Fjon » Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:40 am

Hiring motorboats from Bulloch harbour - is this an option?
I remember trying to do this a long time ago, and the company there specifically forbids you from going to the island if renting a boat.
I'm wondering if things have changed?

Doug.G
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Doug.G » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:04 am

Yes you can hire small motorised dinghies from the "Blue House" at Bulloch Harbour. They do have guidelines about usage e.g. don't leave the boat at Dalkey Island --- BUT, you can drop people off there, so long as the boat doesn't remain moored on the beach. It sounded like a pretty "grey area" when it was explained to me. It has something to do we a new rule from Dun Laoghaire County Council about limiting the number of commercial motorised boats landing on the island. Private boats are fine.

That said, their prices are very reasonable because you pay per boat (and not per person). It is only €20 per boat to go fishing or €40 per boat for non-fishing trips (petrol excess). Boats can fit 4 people comfortably or 6 people at a push.

Fjon
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Fjon » Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:06 am

By dinghy, you mean a rubber boat with a motor on it right? Or is it one of the more "solid" ones they also rent out?
I seem to remember them saying that one of the problems with people mooring on the island was they could wreck the underside of the boats on the many rocks around there. I imagine it could be an even trickier landing with a rubber boat.
Sounds like an option as long as one person stays on the boat and circles the island.
I won't make the event, but it looks like fun.
I found the cache a long time ago (in fact the box you'll find is probably one that I placed there to replace the original). Back then there used to be goats on the island, but they were apparently all wiped out by a virus :(

Doug.G
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Doug.G » Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:18 am

Actually, by dinghy I mean the rigid boats, not the inflatables.

Spark_ie
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Spark_ie » Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:09 pm

Fjon wrote:... Back then there used to be goats on the island, but they were apparently all wiped out by a virus :(
They seem to be back on the island again... at least there were a few goats on the island when I was there a few weeks ago anyway! 8)

Doug.G
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Doug.G » Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:16 pm

For those interested, the details for hiring kayaks from Bulloch Harbour are as follows:

1. Click on the link below which will take you to the Kayaking.ie online booking form.

2. Then choose the "Guided Kayak Tours" tab (the web page should default to this option).

3. Be sure to select the date of 14-Septon the Calendar to the left...

4. Click < + BOOK NOW > under the first tour option: "Guided Kayaking Tour at Dalkey". Cost is €45 per person.

5. The time to specify is 2pm-5pm.

6. You also need to specify the number of people on your booking

7. The Kayaking club will provide most of the gear you need inclusive in the price (including a wetsuit if you need one). Full details on the booking form.

8. You can pay via your Paypal account or credit card.

https://kayaking.checkfront.com/reserve/

Let me know if you need any help.
I booked myself & the other half a few days ago and it all worked fine.

abbeyackbar
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by abbeyackbar » Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:44 pm

Done 8) Thanks for the 'How to'

2 places booked.

Tmsr
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Tmsr » Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:00 pm