March 13th 2017

When I established the forums in 2005 it was to offer a more richer web experience and greater functionality than the platform where we started this social adventure in 2003, Yahoo Groups. The forums were once a busy hive of activity and provided locals and visitors with a wealth of information just like the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook today.

It was a time where we didn't have the many social media platforms we have today, and it was a different time in terms of mobility and technology. There was no instant access to information, no Google Maps and a very limited base map on your GPSr. Mobile connectivity for me was a 9600bps Infrared connection from a Nokia to a laptop and in later times to a PDA using WAP.

As we moved into the social media era so did our forums users. Geocaching Ireland moved there too, and we have a thriving community on the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook. As a result, forum activity isn't what it used to be and I have taken the decision to disable new registrations to the forums and to make the forums read only so any information there can still be accessed.

The discussion hasn't ended, it has just moved. Join us on the Facebook Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group .

Donnacha

Irish events in September

Talk about events

Moderator: GCI Admins

Finbar.nl

Irish events in September

Post by Finbar.nl » Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:24 pm

In September I'm hoping to visit Ireland again. It will be my 6th time, I think, but it will be my first as a geocacher. Now it would be great to meet Irish cachers so I hope I can visit some events as well.
It would help me planning my holidays when I know where events are happening. I will be about 3 weeks in Ireland from the 10th of September and hoping to visit the regions Dublin, Galway, Inishmore, Kilfinane and Wicklow.
And when you know very special caches in these regions, you might also let me know.
Thanks very much. Hoping to meet a lot of you.
Finbar.nl

Tmsr
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Re: Irish events in September

Post by Tmsr » Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:44 pm

Hi Finbar,
If you let us know the dates of your Dublin stay, and whereabouts you are planning to stay, we may be able to organise something for you..
Dublin cachers are a very sociable bunch!
tmsr

Finbar.nl

Post by Finbar.nl » Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:01 pm

Hi Tmsr,
It's a nice idea, but I was thinking about just dropping by on an event, without to much notion. :oops:
But I'll let you know when I've figured it all out. I was hoping I could plan my visit when one of my Irish heroes would have a concert in Dublin, like I'm hoping to see The Fureys in Killmallock and Christy Moore in Limerick. As soon as I know when I'll be round Dublin, I'll let you know.
Hoping to meet you
Finbar.nl

Tmsr
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Tmsr » Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:26 pm

No problem Finbar - as you may have noticed - events in Dublin are nearly on a weekly basis at present!
We might see you there...

Blue Jay
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Blue Jay » Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:39 pm

Hi Finbar. If you check out my profile on Geocaching.com - I have a bookmark list of popular and recommended caches for tourists.
I hope it helps.
"Blue Jay" - with 2 spaces between Blue & Jay.

"Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative" - Oscar Wilde

Finbar.nl

Post by Finbar.nl » Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:43 pm

Hi Blue Jay,
Thanks for showing all those nice caches, That's what I needed! But I think I'll have to talk to my boss, for more holidays....

Until now I only knew I wanted to do Ulysses in Dublin and the Guinness cache.
It's good to see there's a lot more!
I'll surely will use your list a lot!
See you!
Finbar.nl

Blue Jay
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Blue Jay » Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:14 pm

And don't forget GC43 - Europe's First :D

"Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative" - Oscar Wilde

Ballyhoura1
Great Sugarloaf 501m
Great Sugarloaf 501m

Post by Ballyhoura1 » Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:58 am

I see Kilfinane on your list. I would be happy to suggest a series of caches for you. Let me know your time scale and whether you want to walk or drive to your caches.

Finbar.nl

Post by Finbar.nl » Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:48 pm

Hi Ballyhoura1
Thanks for your help. I've send you a PM, with some details. Looking forward coming back to Kilfinane, but my first time as a cacher.