March 13th 2017

When I established the forums in 2005 it was to offer a more richer web experience and greater functionality than the platform where we started this social adventure in 2003, Yahoo Groups. The forums were once a busy hive of activity and provided locals and visitors with a wealth of information just like the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook today.

It was a time where we didn't have the many social media platforms we have today, and it was a different time in terms of mobility and technology. There was no instant access to information, no Google Maps and a very limited base map on your GPSr. Mobile connectivity for me was a 9600bps Infrared connection from a Nokia to a laptop and in later times to a PDA using WAP.

As we moved into the social media era so did our forums users. Geocaching Ireland moved there too, and we have a thriving community on the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook. As a result, forum activity isn't what it used to be and I have taken the decision to disable new registrations to the forums and to make the forums read only so any information there can still be accessed.

The discussion hasn't ended, it has just moved. Join us on the Facebook Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group .

Donnacha

Doing well do far...

Talk about events

Moderator: GCI Admins

THE_Chris
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Re: Doing well do far...

Post by THE_Chris » Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:19 pm

Events on 4, 9, 10, 11, 15, 16 Jan... and all much more than 'Meet & Greet' ones too. Thats quite impressive.

silver soldier
Great Sugarloaf 501m
Great Sugarloaf 501m

Post by silver soldier » Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:22 am

not sure where to post this so i will use this one,
has there been a event at grand canal basin for a meet and greet /then a challenge event
like walking the 80 miles of the grand canal or large part of it meeting and greeting different cachers from
diff parts of ireland along the way .
if it included a overnight could even run event at the hotel/b +b/pub
from starting point as many cachers could walk along for as long as the want then all along cachers can join the walk
for 1 mile or 10 for a chat
theres so many possibilities and variables -- this whole thing could involve 3 events
maybe even involve sponsership for crumlin/temple street childrens hospitals 10 cents a mile
if 80 miles is too long it could be split with county to county cachers
even if it involves a batton where a log is passed on to the next group of cachers see how many names get on the log
( a coming and going cache / or pass the batton cache )

would love feedback positive or negitive / looking forward to all comments

Tmsr
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Tmsr » Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:05 am

I recall The_Chris noting little over a year ago that 7 events simultaneously on the first page of Ireland listings might be a record.
Could I suggest that seeing 16 events (including CITOs) on this morning's page with four traditionals brining up the rear is the new benchmark!
We were about to post one, but we may perhaps wait until some more of the Germans have left the first page for fear that there may not be room for any real caches. We hope to see the Easter Eggstravaganza there soon, as that was popular with big kids and small...even borrowed a muggle cousin last year for the event.

THE_Chris
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by THE_Chris » Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:40 am

Its pretty good, isn't it?

I have the cache page for a Swedish Breakfast up in the Belfast Ikea written and ready to add to the pile once I can find a free weekend in June for myself. There will be 2014 Summer Morning Insanity (of course) and another two that I'm toying around with for the summer. You never know we might hit 20!

Blue Jay
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Blue Jay » Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:01 pm

I'd really like to go to the Belfast one - if at all possible not the 14/15th June as we have a date in Wales with a mountain. :D :D

There are plans a foot also to have an event to coincide with the cold war bunker open day on 7th June - and an attack on Odies Crew's new 45 cache trail - all in Cookstown. :wink:

"Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative" - Oscar Wilde

Tmsr
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Tmsr » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:31 pm

That record didn't last too long - first page right now has an unprecedented 17 events listed with 3 new Laois area ones filling in the bottom places...
Ironically The-Chris and ourselves are partly to blame!

Blue Jay
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Blue Jay » Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:25 pm

Tmsr wrote:That record didn't last too long - first page right now has an unprecedented 17 events listed with 3 new Laois area ones filling in the bottom places...
What are the Laois ones?

"Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative" - Oscar Wilde

mr.-oda
Lugnaquillia 925m
Lugnaquillia 925m

Post by mr.-oda » Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:26 am

I presume it was the traditional caches

Blue Jay
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m