March 13th 2017

When I established the forums in 2005 it was to offer a more richer web experience and greater functionality than the platform where we started this social adventure in 2003, Yahoo Groups. The forums were once a busy hive of activity and provided locals and visitors with a wealth of information just like the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook today.

It was a time where we didn't have the many social media platforms we have today, and it was a different time in terms of mobility and technology. There was no instant access to information, no Google Maps and a very limited base map on your GPSr. Mobile connectivity for me was a 9600bps Infrared connection from a Nokia to a laptop and in later times to a PDA using WAP.

As we moved into the social media era so did our forums users. Geocaching Ireland moved there too, and we have a thriving community on the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook. As a result, forum activity isn't what it used to be and I have taken the decision to disable new registrations to the forums and to make the forums read only so any information there can still be accessed.

The discussion hasn't ended, it has just moved. Join us on the Facebook Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group .

Donnacha

Dodder Valley CITO, DUBLIN Sunday 21 April, 2013

Talk about events

Moderator: GCI Admins

GoldCircle
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Dodder Valley CITO, DUBLIN Sunday 21 April, 2013

Post by GoldCircle » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:14 pm

EDITED: To remove Saturday and enter SUNDAY as the event day

The 11th Annual Cache In Trash Out Weekend is happening on the 3rd weekend in April this year.

I have scheduled a CITO event for Sunday April 21, 2013 at 11am in the Dodder Valley Linear Park (Spawell Link Road, Templogue/Knocklyon) with the assistance of South Dublin County Council.

It will be http://coord.info/GC44XC9 when it is published.

Thanks for attending folks - numbers are the key thing for a successful CITO!
Last edited by GoldCircle on Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image

THE_Chris
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Re: Dodder Valley CITO, DUBLIN 20/21 April 2013

Post by THE_Chris » Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:07 am

I mentioned on Facebook, but I'm in Venice on the 20th so would much prefer the 21st for a CITO.

Now that I've posted on both, it counts as two votes, right? :D

GoldCircle
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Re: Dodder Valley CITO, DUBLIN 20/21 April 2013

Post by GoldCircle » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:57 am

I see this morning's email form Groundspeak is all about International CITO Weekend - and a confirmation that there will be a souvenir!!! =D>

I'm starting to think that Sunday 21st April is the final date now given there are a number of voices that are not available on Saturday, so that's the date to pencil in to the diaries, folks.

The page, when published, will be: http://coord.info/GC44XC9
Image Image

GoldCircle
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Re: Dodder Valley CITO, DUBLIN Sunday 21 April, 2013

Post by GoldCircle » Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:07 pm

Well folks, the event is only a month away, so it is now well visible on the diary horizon.

There has been surprising interest from overseas visitors - I guess they have the luxury of planning their holidays months in advance and so feel comfortable committing at a a distance.

Not so much ourselves... we, on the other hand, have ordinary lives to be getting on with; with only a month to go, I guess now is as good a time to commit to attending.

I need to start getting a better idea on numbers for planning purposes, as the Council needs to deliver certain resources to us - so if you could see your way to posting a 'Will Attend' note on the cache page with a vague idea on numbers, I'd be grateful.

Link: http://coord.info/GC44XC9

Thanks everyone!
Image Image

GoldCircle
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by GoldCircle » Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:26 pm

Hi Everyone,

I had a final meeting with South Dublin County Council this morning and all systems are go for Sunday's event.

The event will commence with a safety briefing at 11am - this is a REQUIREMENT, so please be on time. In particular, two areas are out of bounds for this event - the riverbank and the area immediately beside a Traveller's Halting Site - we have been requested to avoid these two areas on grounds of safety (littoral erosion, water hazard etc.) and good relations with the neighbours.

Please ensure you have stout boots or wellies, and you MUST bring your own HEAVY DUTY GLOVES (gardening gloves should be fine) and I don't have any extras.

If bringing kids, please ensure you have small gloves for them also.

I will be able to provide a supply of plastic tabards to protect clothes (festival goers: think of stylish plastic bags with a hole poked through for your head! ). I also have 25 litter pickers that must be returned at the end of the event.

3rd party limited public liability insurance is automatically provided by An Taisce under the National Spring Clean initiative. By its very nature, litter picking and clean-up is inherently risky, so please be aware of this before commencing - and consider whether you feel this event is suitable for you or your little people. I will be bringing my own kids. Please do not attempt to lift anything you are uncomfortable with, or anything just downright dangerous you may encounter (chemical containers, syringes, condoms etc. - I saw absolutely none of these at the chosen location, but anything is possible, so keep your eyes open and use your best judgement).

The litter gathered will be broken down in to 4 categories, and should be be placed in the colour coded bags :

● YELLOW: Plastic bottles
● BLUE: Aluminium cans and food tins
● GREEN: General litter
● Larger items should be delivered to the central point

With this in mind, and according to the numbers that turn up, I propose to break us in to working parties, allocating patches to be cleaned. The area we will be looking at is: (visit link) broken in to three main sections: a) the woods - adults only; b) the path on the north/west side of the woods - younger children under adult supervision; c) the path to the east of the halting site - adults and teenagers.

The northern/western areas along the main pathway should be mostly suitable for children, if properly supervised by their parents/guardians, where there is ample general litter - cans, bottles, crisp packets etc. Further along the pathway, there is bad littering (including broken glass, burnt tyres etc.) and the path is narrow with steep slopes down to the river - this is why younger children are excluded form this area. The woods have their own charms with more challenging terrain - fallen trees, brambles, nettles etc., and larger items for disposal. Those working the wooded area and eastern path should not approach the boundary of the halting site.
I will have a first aid kit in my car. I would be very grateful if you could also bring one also. Our safety is the no. 1 consideration at all times. Please be sure to wash your hands thoroughly after the event, for obvious reasons - and if you have alcohol/sterilising hand gel with you, so much the better!

All gathered materials should be brought to the central point at the end of the event for disposal by South Dublin County Council. We'll also be taking a photo of the group with the fruits of our labour!

As this is a geocaching event, please be sure to sign the logbook which will circulate at the start! This event will receive a special souvenir also, as a recognition of your efforts!

Thanks for volunteering - and I look forward to greeting everyone on Sunday.
Image Image

GoldCircle
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by GoldCircle » Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:21 pm

Our CITO event got a nice little write-up in the GAGB Magazine, Seeker - take a look at pages 10-11.

http://gagb.co.uk/Newsletter/Seeker15.pdf
Image Image

abbeyackbar
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by abbeyackbar » Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:12 am

Fantastic 8) it was a great event. Great squishy feel good factor after collecting lots of rubbish O:)

Abbey