March 13th 2017

When I established the forums in 2005 it was to offer a more richer web experience and greater functionality than the platform where we started this social adventure in 2003, Yahoo Groups. The forums were once a busy hive of activity and provided locals and visitors with a wealth of information just like the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook today.

It was a time where we didn't have the many social media platforms we have today, and it was a different time in terms of mobility and technology. There was no instant access to information, no Google Maps and a very limited base map on your GPSr. Mobile connectivity for me was a 9600bps Infrared connection from a Nokia to a laptop and in later times to a PDA using WAP.

As we moved into the social media era so did our forums users. Geocaching Ireland moved there too, and we have a thriving community on the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook. As a result, forum activity isn't what it used to be and I have taken the decision to disable new registrations to the forums and to make the forums read only so any information there can still be accessed.

The discussion hasn't ended, it has just moved. Join us on the Facebook Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group .

Donnacha

Milestone Celebration Event 24th Feb. 2013

Talk about events

Moderator: GCI Admins

abbeyackbar
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Milestone Celebration Event 24th Feb. 2013

Post by abbeyackbar » Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:13 pm

Hi all,

We're hosting an event to celebrate 1,000 geocache finds! We're almost there and this will motivate us to get a move on :) We're hoping to find our 1,000th geocache in Dubai about the week before the event and sure even if we don't it's a nice way to end a day in Howth after some caching.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_de ... 888e4898df

Any comments/queries about the event, feel free to post them here.

Abbey

THE_Chris
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Re: Milestone Celebration Event 24th Feb. 2013

Post by THE_Chris » Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:17 am

If anyones thinking about some pre-event caching, we're planning to meet somewhere in Howth earlier in the day with an eye on Where Bats Dare, depending on the weather. I'll put stuff up as a comment on the event page once I have a meetup point decided upon.

mr.-oda
Lugnaquillia 925m
Lugnaquillia 925m

Post by mr.-oda » Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:33 pm

That sounds very tempting Chris

dino

Post by dino » Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:15 pm

Will you post here too Chris? I am interested in this but I don't really want to put the event on watchlist and get all those emails coming in!
Some gal would giggle and I'd get red
And some guy'd laugh and I'd bust his head,
I tell ya, life ain't easy for a boy named "Sue."

THE_Chris
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by THE_Chris » Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:47 pm

No probs, will add to both.

Edit: Up on Facebook too.

dino

Post by dino » Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:26 pm

THE_Chris wrote:No probs, will add to both.

Edit: Up on Facebook too.
8)

Mini-Tap
Slieve Donard 850m
Slieve Donard 850m

Post by Mini-Tap » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:37 pm

Hoping to make this event. going to head u p on sat evening and start caching early on th e morning of event. Howth is a cache rich area, and it will be cool to meet abbeyackbar

Daithi2004
Lugnaquillia 925m
Lugnaquillia 925m

Post by Daithi2004 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:13 pm

I would be up for meeting earlier too.

The Casual Geocacher

THE_Chris
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by THE_Chris » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:35 pm

I havent forgotten about the pre-caching... just waiting to see what Eclectic Penguin is up to about a potential Cork event, may be the day before in which case I wouldn't be up to Dublin in time for pre-caching. Watch this space!

dino

Post by dino » Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:26 am

I'm hoping to make the Bat cave my 800th cache so definitely up for pre-event caching and definitely interested in making a team trip to the cave.

GoldCircle
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by GoldCircle » Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:17 am

I'm Chris' partner in crime on this one - we discussed attacking Howth pre-event while on the NYRE a few weeks ago. If he cannot make it, I certainly will, so Where Bats Dare is on for sure. =D>

The tide information is: http://www.hyc.ie/tides/win_tides.asp?s ... 3&x=81&y=5 - so that's a 16:32 low (and the water is moderately low in relative terms), so we should be down there and ready to go by 15:00, possibly even a bit earlier. That should give us 3-4 hours in the event of an emergency.

I suggest the Lion's Head for earlier in the Day, so.

On my personal hitlist is also Tread Softly (GC30ZET) as I need a 2.5/2.5 (hard enough combo to come by in Dublin) which is only a 5 minute job, I think, and I rather fancy grabbing The Black Rose (GCGTD7) as I've not done too many virtuals. Thereafter, I'm strictly a numbers whore. :D
Image Image

dino

Post by dino » Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:51 am

Sounds good to me. I'm on 797 so need two caches and then Bats. Lion's Head sounds like one of them and any of the others will do also.

THE_Chris
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by THE_Chris » Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:41 pm

Pre event caching plans.

Meet here: N53 21.953 W6 03.656 . There is space for a handful of cars.

At 11am on Sunday 24th meet there. The plan is to go for Lions Head, and hopefully Where Bats Dare in the afternoon when the tide is out.

I've done Lions Head and know what to expect. Is it a difficult cache, involving a scramble down, up and back down a pretty steep cliff. It is absolutely NOT child friendly unless you have someone to look after them on the path while we descend.

I did it with a previous event group and we didn't need a rope (the one at stage 2 is permanently attached) but it probably wouldn't hurt to bring one for Stage 1 as it would make things a bit easier.

If the weather is bad or the ground very muddy/slippery, I don't recommend doing Lions Head as the grass will be absolutely lethal. Its a bloody long way down.

For Where Bats Dare, the cache page says WELLIES ARE A REQUIREMENT. Same warning about the grass and slipping.

GoldCircle
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by GoldCircle » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:08 pm

Sunday's weather is currently showing a high of 6c, low 1c; winds ENE @20km with broken cloud @ 2500AGL - so the proverbial monkeys will be clutching their bit and pieces.
Sunrise: 07:24 Sunset: 17:53
HTide 10:34 LTide 16:32

As there is limited parking at the meeting point, I wonder if we might gather a little earlier at the Deerpark and do a carpool with those that show up? Wondering about 10:00 with a pitstop at Tread Softly (GC30ZET) which is a rare creature D/T is 2.5/2.5 - few enough of those in the Dublin area.

I'm also angling on Telegraph Pole (GC40DGD) which is 1.5/3.0 at some point during the day.

I will be passing through the city centre at about 09:00 if anyone would like a lift; I'll be heading straight for (GCGTD7) The Black Rose. I won't be returning to Dublin that night, though.
Last edited by GoldCircle on Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image

dino

Post by dino » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:37 pm

GoldCircle wrote:I will be passing through the city centre at about 09:00 if anyone would like a lift; I won't be returning that night, though.
Might take you up on that. I can always get the DART back into town after the event. I'll let you know :)

abbeyackbar
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by abbeyackbar » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:13 pm

Copy of post on event page:

"Hi all!
I want to let you all know some extra info before the event to address some things we've been asked by the venue and fellow geocachers.
- The area is booked for 5pm however don't worry if you can only arrive later, that is fine. We don't have to gone by a certain time, I don't know how long we will be there for but I imagine it won't be that late. Note: children are not permitted on the premises from 9pm on.
- IMPORTANTWith regard to food and drink, the bar staff will come take your order, please give them your name when you make your order, as this is how they will know who is to pay for what and don't forget to pay before you leave :) As you can imagine when a large group of people who arrive at the same time and give their order together the food will take time to arrive so I ask please for your patience with this and listen up for your order when the food arrives. This will go along way to helping the event run smoothly and your co-operation is much appreciated by the venue staff and by us [8)] Of course if you're just ordering refreshments at the bar, you can pay as you go. One of the reasons I chose this venue is because they do separate bills instead of one collective bill which is surprisingly difficult to get in other places we have considered.
-I enquired about accomodation if anyone wished to stay over the Saturday or Sunday. Prices are as follows: for a one night stay only for 1person BnB is €50 (bed only €42.50), 2 persons BnB €79 (bed only €64)

If anyone has any further queries, don't hesitate to get in touch! We're posting this in the forum also if anyone wants to post any queries there too. On a separate note, Ackbar has been asked to be a Godfather :) and the Christening is on the same day as the event! :S It's on earlier than the event but as it's on the Southside of the city he'll be arriving as soon as he can on the day. We are really looking forward to seeing you all on the day [:D] There'll be an area for trackables to be discovered and those that want to be moved along. We're going to hold a raffle for FTF and of course there will be a logbook to be signed :) So have all your puzzle queries ready! (bring a notebook) and I hope everyone has a great day whether out caching beforehand or just at the event itself.

Happy Caching!
Abbey (of AbbeyAckbar)"

THE_Chris
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by THE_Chris » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:45 pm

I'll confirm tomorrow but I'm afraid theres a chance I wont be able to make the pre-caching after all :( I'll hopefully be there for the evening event though.

MunsterFan
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by MunsterFan » Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:34 pm

Was hoping to lead a delegation from the south to this but alas events (pardon the pun) have taken a twist and I can no longer make it. Have a great day, sorry to be missing the event and the pre-event activities as they would have brought up my 400th but there is always next time!

MF :)