March 13th 2017

When I established the forums in 2005 it was to offer a more richer web experience and greater functionality than the platform where we started this social adventure in 2003, Yahoo Groups. The forums were once a busy hive of activity and provided locals and visitors with a wealth of information just like the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook today.

It was a time where we didn't have the many social media platforms we have today, and it was a different time in terms of mobility and technology. There was no instant access to information, no Google Maps and a very limited base map on your GPSr. Mobile connectivity for me was a 9600bps Infrared connection from a Nokia to a laptop and in later times to a PDA using WAP.

As we moved into the social media era so did our forums users. Geocaching Ireland moved there too, and we have a thriving community on the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook. As a result, forum activity isn't what it used to be and I have taken the decision to disable new registrations to the forums and to make the forums read only so any information there can still be accessed.

The discussion hasn't ended, it has just moved. Join us on the Facebook Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group .

Donnacha

2013 New Years Resolution

Talk about events

Moderator: GCI Admins

kryten2x4p
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

2013 New Years Resolution

Post by kryten2x4p » Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:04 pm

At Donnacha's suggestion, I am opening this thread for suggestions as to the location of the 2013 New Years resolution which hopefully will take place on the 2nd Saturday of January. The will be the 12th of January.

dino

Re: 2013 New Years Resolution

Post by dino » Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:04 pm

If Donnacha's not organising it this year how about something in the North? Maybe something in the Low Mournes that would be a reasonable challenge but accessible for most abilities?

Loads of people on here have experience of walking in the Mournes and could very easily come up with a good route.
Some gal would giggle and I'd get red
And some guy'd laugh and I'd bust his head,
I tell ya, life ain't easy for a boy named "Sue."

Daithi2004
Lugnaquillia 925m
Lugnaquillia 925m
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Daithi2004 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:05 pm

Going on Dino's sugguestion, why not go to Kilbroney Park, drive up to the high Car Park and climb up to Cloghmore and continue on to Slieve Martin and then down the track back to the same car park. You would still appropriate gear for the walk.

The Casual Geocacher

kryten2x4p

Post by kryten2x4p » Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:41 pm

Yeah I was thinking of the Mournes as well. The route suggested by Daithi2004 seems good. 1.36miles to Slievemartin summit via Cloghmore. There seems to be a good route to the north of Slievemartin and then back down through the forest in a circular route of 2.5 miles. Given my experience ;-) any snow on the ground would make the circular route a no no. If there was snow then, as Daithi2004 suggested, a return along the ascent track should be fine. [Helicopter on standby!]

dino

Post by dino » Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:59 pm

How far in total? Something like 5miles/8km would be a good walk but not too far that it puts people off either.

Circular is best for parking.

Is there somewhere nearby where everyone can gather for food and drink afterwards/

kryten2x4p

Post by kryten2x4p » Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:05 pm

Red route is easy and circular and only 2.49 miles and only 2 geocaches.

Blue route is also circular, has more ups and downs but perhaps gentler gradients overall, is 4.16 miles roughly and has 6 geocaches. Maybe 7 if you are more adventurous.

Daithi2004
Lugnaquillia 925m
Lugnaquillia 925m

Post by Daithi2004 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:04 pm

dino wrote:How far in total? Something like 5miles/8km would be a good walk but not too far that it puts people off either.

Circular is best for parking.

Is there somewhere nearby where everyone can gather for food and drink afterwards/
Yes, there is the The Kilbroney Bar and Restaurent, Rostrevor.

The routes that kryten2x4p has up on the forum would be suitable but navigation can be tricky in mist. Decisions would have to be made on the day. The Blue route dsoesn't have to go back to Cloghmore. There is a track at the south of Slieve Martin throught the forest that will take you back to the car park.

The Casual Geocacher

kryten2x4p

Post by kryten2x4p » Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:25 am

Daithi2004 wrote: Yes, there is the The Kilbroney Bar and Restaurent, Rostrevor.

The routes that kryten2x4p has up on the forum would be suitable but navigation can be tricky in mist. Decisions would have to be made on the day. The Blue route dsoesn't have to go back to Cloghmore. There is a track at the south of Slieve Martin throught the forest that will take you back to the car park.
Ok. Sounds good. the blue track can be put into GPSrs for following so light or occasional mist might not be a problem. If the fog is too thick then we could add to the event page that the alternative is something like a walk up the Newry Canal to say the A1 overpass which is a 2.5 mile walk (and 6 caches) before turning around and walking back or for those that can, walk up to a top pick up point at the Carrickrovaddy road near its junction with the Tandragee Road at 4.6 miles distant (an extra 2 or 3 caches) and getting a lift back to Newry.

kryten2x4p

Post by kryten2x4p » Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:11 am

Jackie Anderson 9 December 10:20
If someone organises it i will be there and will not let you get lost if there is mist, know the area well as i worked out of Killowen Outdoor Education Centre which is just below the walk for 25 years.
Jackie's post on facebook.

Shall we settle for this walk or shall we wait for any further ideas?

Blue Jay
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Blue Jay » Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:40 pm

Hang on lads before you settle anything - [-X [-X [-X

I think Donnacha just asked for suggestions.................... Did I miss where he asked for someone else to take it over???? - sorry if I did - But I believe other years he asked for suggestions too ..............

How about Bonnie's Walk in the Wicklow mountains?

There's some nice walks in the Cooleys too .....

Not sure this should be an endurance test - family friendly walk is the idea from other years ..... no fun in the mist on the mountain with a group including children - although I would have every faith in Jackie's skills.

I believe there is a new series in the offing ... Loui's walk - can we just take it easy here and give people a chance to work out a few suggestions as that what was after all asked for .......

What's the rush??????

Although there is nothing stopping anyone organising a walking event in the Mournes ... it might not necessarily be the New Years Event.

"Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative" - Oscar Wilde

kryten2x4p

Post by kryten2x4p » Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:51 pm

donnacha wrote:Hi all.

Apologies , I have been meaning to post about this. I have just moved so all my time has been taken up with that, and as a result haven't have time to arrange it. I have no issue with anyone one else arranging it. The traditional date has been the second Sat in January...although that has been known to change due to weather! We also usually try and keep the walk easy enough so people can bring the kids along.

I suggest starting another topic, and get the suggestions rolling in!

D.
The quote is taken from the 2012 thread. I could be wrong but I thought Donnacha alternated events from northish to southish and back again. As it was in the Wicklow mountains last time and the Cooleys before that...

There's no great rush to arrange anything. We have about another 20 days before an event has to be published to make the 2nd Saturday in January.

We're all open to suggestions as to the location of the event but the longer notice people have the better.

Blue Jay
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Blue Jay » Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:27 pm

Apoogies I missed that - I thought he was just asking for suggestions.
The first one (to my knowledge ) was along the Boyne/ Canal in Navan - then Wicklow - Coolies - then Wicklow again.
As you say there's a good while to allow for people to come up with suggestions before anything is settled.

kryten2x4p

Post by kryten2x4p » Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:31 pm

What is the Loui's walk series you mentioned?

bawnman
Great Sugarloaf 501m
Great Sugarloaf 501m

Post by bawnman » Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:32 pm

About the 2013 New Years Resolution walk, i had thought of a walk in the area that Kryten2x4p had suggested but as i have 5 caches on or near the walk i didn't want to bring it up, as for the walk Kryten2x4p suggested it is not an endurance test, it is something like last years only shorter and i have had children do the walk, with a little bit of route change you can walk the whole way on paths, the reason for me saying about getting lost in the mist (there can be mist where ever the walk takes place) is there are contractors laying 28 miles of cycle paths in the forest and out on the mountain that cross the paths on the walk and are not marked on the maps yet, the new cycle paths will be opening in March, i dont mind where the walk takes place as i will be there but i dont want this ruled out as been to hard.

Blue Jay
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Blue Jay » Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:54 pm

Sounds great Bawnman

donnacha
Site Admin
Site Admin
Title: King Of The Rain

Post by donnacha » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:04 pm

Hi all. Really sorry for the late reply on this.....I discussed the NYRE at the 121212 event tonight as I really haven't had a change to talk to anyone about it. The consensus from every one is a preference for Bonnie's Walk. This route seems more family friendly, and I usually go with a route that is popular with everyone.

I am sorry for my last minute change of mind, but it's been a hectic couple if weeks!

Further details will be posted over the next few days. Stay tuned....

Blue Jay
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Blue Jay » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:47 pm

Delighted to hear it. Great plan. I think it'll take about 2 hours to do the walk and at the moment there's 7 or 8 caches on the walk. I look forward to more details

kryten2x4p

Post by kryten2x4p » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:27 pm

Too far south for me this time (expected a northerly event) so i'll give it a miss.

dino

Post by dino » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:34 pm

Where is that again?

kryten2x4p

Post by kryten2x4p » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:44 pm

South-westish Dublin/North Wicklow, Niall