March 13th 2017

When I established the forums in 2005 it was to offer a more richer web experience and greater functionality than the platform where we started this social adventure in 2003, Yahoo Groups. The forums were once a busy hive of activity and provided locals and visitors with a wealth of information just like the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook today.

It was a time where we didn't have the many social media platforms we have today, and it was a different time in terms of mobility and technology. There was no instant access to information, no Google Maps and a very limited base map on your GPSr. Mobile connectivity for me was a 9600bps Infrared connection from a Nokia to a laptop and in later times to a PDA using WAP.

As we moved into the social media era so did our forums users. Geocaching Ireland moved there too, and we have a thriving community on the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook. As a result, forum activity isn't what it used to be and I have taken the decision to disable new registrations to the forums and to make the forums read only so any information there can still be accessed.

The discussion hasn't ended, it has just moved. Join us on the Facebook Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group .

Donnacha

A possible event in Kilkenny

Talk about events

Moderator: GCI Admins

Eclectic Penguin

A possible event in Kilkenny

Post by Eclectic Penguin » Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:52 am

I'm planning another Geocaching event. Up until now all events I've organised here in Ireland have been based way down in the South of Ireland (around Cork or in Co. Kerry). This makes them less attractive to folk further north where there is a larger Geocaching community - and understandably so, with an estimated 3 hour drive from Dublin to Cork (and a lot longer for the North) - this makes them almost certainly overnighters for many who would possibly want to come.

I'm looking into the possibility of the next one being roughly equidistant from Cork and Dublin. I initially looked at locations about half way along the M8 - M7 route. However, since many use events as an opportunity to find caches in a new area, this has a problem - there are precious few caches in this area, plus I have no local knowlege of any of the small towns that are there.

Google maps estimate Kilkenny as being almost exaclty the same distance time wise from both, coming in at just under 2 hours for each, bringing it just within driving distance for an early evening event to both locations and there are a number of local caches for those who haven't been to the area before.

Would this be a location to attract folks from both directions - or is it still too far?

It would have to be a weekend event for me (Saturday) in a local pub/restaurant, probably towards the end of September. Kilkenny is a fair sized town so there should be no problem in finding an appropriate venue (and I think there are local cachers who may be able to advise).

I would also probably be camping for the weekend so that I can get 2 days worth of caching in too (as I did for the Bray event earlier on this year) - if anyone else wishes to camp/caravan, we could possibly organise the same site. I'm currently looking into Tree Grove site.

So, what do people think - is Kilkenny too far for the Dublin/Cork folk. Also, I know there are a number of cachers more local to Kilkenny than to Dublin or Cork - would this be something you'd be more interested in coming to than ones in Dublin or Cork?

Fjon
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Re: A possible event in Kilkenny

Post by Fjon » Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:25 pm

Kilkenny is a good choice. It's 1.5 hours from Dublin so easily doable. There is a large number of caches in the area, and there are bound to be decent venues for an event.

pookeen

Post by pookeen » Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:42 pm

My biggest memory of the camp site in Kilkenny is millions of crows at 6am every morning. dont like crows as much any more.
Might do it again though.

MunsterFan
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by MunsterFan » Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:20 am

Event is now published!

http://coord.info/GC3XDW0