March 13th 2017

When I established the forums in 2005 it was to offer a more richer web experience and greater functionality than the platform where we started this social adventure in 2003, Yahoo Groups. The forums were once a busy hive of activity and provided locals and visitors with a wealth of information just like the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook today.

It was a time where we didn't have the many social media platforms we have today, and it was a different time in terms of mobility and technology. There was no instant access to information, no Google Maps and a very limited base map on your GPSr. Mobile connectivity for me was a 9600bps Infrared connection from a Nokia to a laptop and in later times to a PDA using WAP.

As we moved into the social media era so did our forums users. Geocaching Ireland moved there too, and we have a thriving community on the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook. As a result, forum activity isn't what it used to be and I have taken the decision to disable new registrations to the forums and to make the forums read only so any information there can still be accessed.

The discussion hasn't ended, it has just moved. Join us on the Facebook Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group .

Donnacha

WWFM IX

Talk about events

Moderator: GCI Admins

abbeyackbar
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

WWFM IX

Post by abbeyackbar » Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:49 am

We just received an email from the couple at http://www.podcacher.comThey are letting all previous hosts of a WWFM event know that WWFM IX (WorldWideFlashMob nine) is set for June 9th @ 6pm this year. There will probably be a Souvenir and geocoin made up for it. Just passing on the message to let everyone know. Anyone interested in hosting this event in your area see the link below.

https://sites.google.com/site/wwfminfo/

medic143

Re: WWFM IX

Post by medic143 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:06 pm

abbeyackbar wrote: Anyone interested in hosting this event in your area see the link below.
Think I'd get away with a flash mob in the duty room in Dundalk Ambulance Station. Once again wont be getting the WWFM smiley :(

barraseaclaid

Post by barraseaclaid » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:06 am

lucky you medic to have rosters done that far in the future...i aint got any beyond march

wildfowler
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by wildfowler » Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:11 pm

medic143 wrote:
abbeyackbar wrote: Anyone interested in hosting this event in your area see the link below.
Think I'd get away with a flash mob in the duty room in Dundalk Ambulance Station. Once again wont be getting the WWFM smiley :(
You could always organise one for the street outside! Make it medically themed!! ;)
"Wait a minute, Doc. Ah... Are you telling me that you built a time machine... out of a DeLorean?"
ImageImage

medic143

Post by medic143 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:19 am

barraseaclaid wrote:lucky you medic to have rosters done that far in the future...i aint got any beyond march
I have a recurring roster entered in google calander and my smartphone so I know what I'm working from now until October 2032. :D

barraseaclaid

Post by barraseaclaid » Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:02 am

do they not change? ours seem to based on

1. Planetary alignments
2. to embargo or not to embargo
3. full moon's
4. leap years
5. fairies, goblins, hobbits and the likes

its ridiculous...I couldnt tell you if im working this weekend now at this stage!

medic143

Post by medic143 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:14 pm

barraseaclaid wrote:do they not change?
At present in the NE each station has it's own rolling roster. Depending on the number of ambulances in a station it takes between 8-18 weeks for the roster to repeat. As long as you have a roster you can plan your year fairly well. If you're relief (about 1 person in 5) you get your duties for the next week usually by Thursday of this week but no later than Saturday.

That is unless someone goes sick, or takes other approved short notice leave and then the relief staff are expected to come in on as little as 2-3 hours notice. Since some of them live 2+ hours from their stations in reality that doesnt work.

Rolling rosters are very family friendly and are incredibly easy to manage and administer . Of course since it's working well management are thinking of doing away with the rosters (and indeed most of the stations) in favour of the american style depot system where you report to a central location, pick up an ambulance and go and sit on the side of the road for the day. Your duties will be assigned no more than 4 weeks ahead. Since it takes 1 guy in the NW all his time to run the relief on this basis (remember thats only 1 in 5 staff) how many additional admin hours will it take to apply this scheme to all staff in the country. ](*,) ](*,)

medic143

Post by medic143 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:25 pm

barraseaclaid wrote:I couldnt tell you if im working this weekend now at this stage!
Have a read of this

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1997/en/ ... html#sec17

I imagine you have a contract that specifies how many hours you have to work a week. Your employer (manager) must tell you 24 hours before the first day you are required to work in the week what your hours are for the week.

He may have the right to require you to work "additional hours" but must still give you 24 hours notice of these additional hours. The 24 hour rules can be broken but only for "unforeseen circumstances" e.g. sick colleague.

On this basis I can not see how you don't know if you're working the week :?

That said I know of plenty of employment legislation in the HSE that is ignored or broken but it is the responsibility of the employee to call them on it rather than suffer in silence. I've won most (but not all) of the battles I fought on employment rights with the Ambulance Service.

Fjon
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Fjon » Tue May 01, 2012 10:13 am

So to get back on topic, anyone interested in hosting it this year?

wildfowler
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by wildfowler » Tue May 01, 2012 7:15 pm

There is one in Belfast that could be kind of interesting! It's indoors for a start! :mrgreen:
"Wait a minute, Doc. Ah... Are you telling me that you built a time machine... out of a DeLorean?"
ImageImage

Step_7

Post by Step_7 » Sat May 05, 2012 10:16 am

wildfowler wrote:There is one in Belfast that could be kind of interesting! It's indoors for a start! :mrgreen:
I think that one will cause some confusion without a vertical component added to the coordinates.... :lol:

abbeyackbar
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by abbeyackbar » Mon May 07, 2012 11:33 am

The one in Belfast looks interesting alright but it's too far away for us so we'll host one in Dublin. I'll put a cache listing together as soon as possible and put it in for review so watch this space :)

Abbey

abbeyackbar
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by abbeyackbar » Wed May 16, 2012 10:32 am

Published: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_de ... a9a56e035e

If anyone has any queries about the event, please feel free to contact us through our profile or post it here.

Abbey