March 13th 2017

When I established the forums in 2005 it was to offer a more richer web experience and greater functionality than the platform where we started this social adventure in 2003, Yahoo Groups. The forums were once a busy hive of activity and provided locals and visitors with a wealth of information just like the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook today.

It was a time where we didn't have the many social media platforms we have today, and it was a different time in terms of mobility and technology. There was no instant access to information, no Google Maps and a very limited base map on your GPSr. Mobile connectivity for me was a 9600bps Infrared connection from a Nokia to a laptop and in later times to a PDA using WAP.

As we moved into the social media era so did our forums users. Geocaching Ireland moved there too, and we have a thriving community on the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook. As a result, forum activity isn't what it used to be and I have taken the decision to disable new registrations to the forums and to make the forums read only so any information there can still be accessed.

The discussion hasn't ended, it has just moved. Join us on the Facebook Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group .

Donnacha

New Years Resolution Event 2012 - 14/01/12

Talk about events

Moderator: GCI Admins

Blue Jay
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Re: New Years Resolution Event 2012 - 14/01/12

Post by Blue Jay » Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:26 pm

kryten2x4p wrote:Sorry. I was thinking of Daraconn. Got them mixed up I think! LOL
Think ya did ok :roll: :D :D

"Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative" - Oscar Wilde

kryten2x4p

Post by kryten2x4p » Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:48 pm

Anyway...... I would hazard a guess and say that there is no New Years Resolution Event for 2013 as we would know by this stage, usually. However GC guidelines allow for a publish time of minimum of 2 weeks before the event itself. If it were as late as the 12th of January, then we'd be looking at a 29th of December latest publish date! Any later than that and you couldn't really call it a New Year event! My guess.

I could organise one if thats OK by the usual organisers!

dino

Post by dino » Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:26 pm

I'd wait for Donnacha to respond first. He may have something partly planned?
Some gal would giggle and I'd get red
And some guy'd laugh and I'd bust his head,
I tell ya, life ain't easy for a boy named "Sue."

Blue Jay
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Blue Jay » Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:38 pm

As my post was really meant for Donnacha I would like to give him a chance to respond. But thanks for the offer.

I believe Donacha has organised it every year and as one of the founding members of GC in Ireland I think it would be a deserved courtesy to wait and see what his plans are.

Of course any-one can organise an event but traditionally this ( the New Year get together) has been Donnacha's gig :D

"Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative" - Oscar Wilde

kryten2x4p

Post by kryten2x4p » Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:03 pm

Of course. Donnacha always picks good locations and I have been known to break a leg at them! :-) LOL

donnacha
Site Admin
Site Admin
Title: King Of The Rain

Post by donnacha » Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:08 pm

Hi all.

Apologies , I have been meaning to post about this. I have just moved so all my time has been taken up with that, and as a result haven't have time to arrange it. I have no issue with anyone one else arranging it. The traditional date has been the second Sat in January...although that has been known to change due to weather! We also usually try and keep the walk easy enough so people can bring the kids along.

I suggest starting another topic, and get the suggestions rolling in!

D.

dino

Post by dino » Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:09 pm

Not to Japan I hope ;)
Some gal would giggle and I'd get red
And some guy'd laugh and I'd bust his head,
I tell ya, life ain't easy for a boy named "Sue."