March 13th 2017

When I established the forums in 2005 it was to offer a more richer web experience and greater functionality than the platform where we started this social adventure in 2003, Yahoo Groups. The forums were once a busy hive of activity and provided locals and visitors with a wealth of information just like the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook today.

It was a time where we didn't have the many social media platforms we have today, and it was a different time in terms of mobility and technology. There was no instant access to information, no Google Maps and a very limited base map on your GPSr. Mobile connectivity for me was a 9600bps Infrared connection from a Nokia to a laptop and in later times to a PDA using WAP.

As we moved into the social media era so did our forums users. Geocaching Ireland moved there too, and we have a thriving community on the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook. As a result, forum activity isn't what it used to be and I have taken the decision to disable new registrations to the forums and to make the forums read only so any information there can still be accessed.

The discussion hasn't ended, it has just moved. Join us on the Facebook Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group .

Donnacha

Perambulating along the Peaks - Part 2

Talk about events

Moderator: GCI Admins

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
medic143
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Perambulating along the Peaks - Part 2

Post by medic143 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:20 pm

The initial plan to cross all 7 sevens in the Mournes but after discussions on the last event it was decided to spread the walking out over a longer period.

Time for feedback on Part 2. First the date. Saturday 13th August is now available as the other proposed activity for that date is to be rescheduled. Sunday 14th would also suit but I think most have other activities on Sundays.

The route - A linear walk that will start from the track to the right of the road that leads to Binian Tunnel. We'll cross Long Sheefin, follow the track to Rocky Mountain. From there the wall will take us through the Bog of Donard and on up Donard itself. From there we drop 300 metres before gaining them back as we cross Commedagh (well we're in the area :twisted: ).

At this point it's all downhill to the car park in Donard.

Distance will be about 13-14km, height gain about 1000m. Pretty similar to Peaks 1.

Logistically the linear walk poses a little more of a challenge. I would suggest that most of the cars be left in Newcastle CP as that's where we're finishing. There are three ways to get to the start of the walk (a) bus - mourne rambler (b) car pool with the minimum number of vehicles being used to transport to the start. Drawback is that a least one car is going to have to drop the drivers back there at the end of the walk to collect their vehicles (c) be dropped there by your significant other who will collect you at the end of the event.

Timing. If the bus is to be used, the group will depart from the start of the track for Long Sheerin at about 10:15. The event "location" is proposed as being (probably) rocky mountain summit at 11:30 (no car park hello and goodbyes - although this hasn't been a problem so far).

For those who feel it might be too much, you can cut the walk short in a couple of places (a) At the Bog of Donard dropping down to the Newcastle Road and walking back on the flat (b) at the bog of Donard and walking around rather than over Donard and dropping into Newcastle and (c) after climbing Donard you can skip Commedagh and drop into Newcastle.

I'll give it a week for feedback about the route, date and timing and then submit the event for review.

daraconn
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Perambulating along the Peaks - Part 2

Post by daraconn » Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:33 pm

This walk sounds really good. I think I should be able to attend because the 4 weeks of Saturday morning dog training ends on Saturday 6th.

daraconn
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by daraconn » Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:47 pm

Sorry, I made a mistake and I won't be able to go after all. The dog training is skipping the bank holiday weekend and so it will be finishing on the 13th. I'm sorry to miss the walk but there will be other opportunities.

Dara

medic143

Post by medic143 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:22 am

Given the probable small attendance (and current poor forecast) I have decided to postpone this one.

Fjon
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Fjon » Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:04 pm

Oh good, really wanted to go to at least one of these, but neither dates were good. If it's pushed forward there's a good chance I can make it!

barraseaclaid

Post by barraseaclaid » Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:12 pm

woot thats great cuz im in the same boat as fjon...and after reading a good article in "trail" magazine about the mournes my appetite is now sufficiently whet to go walking there besides the caching

medic143

Post by medic143 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:07 am

Was talking about this one at the event yesterday. There are two basic options here I can run in when next available or someone else can run this one.

Due to work and holidays at the only two weekends I have available are the 8/9th October and 15th/16th October.

If someone else want's to run the event as planned in September, I sure Graham would pull it from the archive and I could adopt it across.

Feedback welcome, if not essential on this one.

Fjon
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Fjon » Sun Aug 07, 2011 2:32 pm

Ah, dammit - I'll be in Argentina both those dates!
I've got to stop taking so many trips.

wildfowler
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by wildfowler » Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:38 pm

medic143 wrote:I sure Graham would pull it from the archive and I could adopt it across.
I can't unarchive a listing for adoption unfortunately but I can copy the html code across to a new listing if someone else wants to submit one. (Only if Eric agrees to that tho!) Just make sure you tell me so in a Reviewer note when you submit it! That is what they're there for after all! ;)
"Wait a minute, Doc. Ah... Are you telling me that you built a time machine... out of a DeLorean?"
ImageImage

daraconn
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by daraconn » Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:42 pm

medic143 wrote:Feedback welcome, if not essential on this one.
I am keen to do this walk, and I would be available on either of the weekends you mentioned in October. I'll be away in September.

THE_Chris
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by THE_Chris » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:40 pm

I'm afriad I cant get myself volunteered to start one of these off for 2012 given that I've no real mountains experience, but I'm just wondering does anyone have any plans to do some walking events like the Annalong Valley or the Perambulating ones from 2011? It would be a shame to have the whole summer disappear without an ole hike.

Daithi2004
Lugnaquillia 925m
Lugnaquillia 925m

Post by Daithi2004 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:03 pm

I would love to organise a Perambulating event but I have a problem with letting dogs on the walk and according to Groundspeak rules I can't discriminate or be selective or have strict rules so that some members are unable to go on the event. It has to be open to all. There is an antie dogs issue in some of the mountainous areas around the country and I have been speaking to local farmers on this issue. On this issue, I am out.... (Dragon's Den quote)

The Casual Geocacher

medic143

Post by medic143 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:54 am

Daithi2004 wrote:I would love to organise a Perambulating event but I have a problem with letting dogs on the walk
Organise it for your local area where Louth Co Co have banned dogs from the mountains. No excuses for not running one then :wink: