March 13th 2017

When I established the forums in 2005 it was to offer a more richer web experience and greater functionality than the platform where we started this social adventure in 2003, Yahoo Groups. The forums were once a busy hive of activity and provided locals and visitors with a wealth of information just like the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook today.

It was a time where we didn't have the many social media platforms we have today, and it was a different time in terms of mobility and technology. There was no instant access to information, no Google Maps and a very limited base map on your GPSr. Mobile connectivity for me was a 9600bps Infrared connection from a Nokia to a laptop and in later times to a PDA using WAP.

As we moved into the social media era so did our forums users. Geocaching Ireland moved there too, and we have a thriving community on the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook. As a result, forum activity isn't what it used to be and I have taken the decision to disable new registrations to the forums and to make the forums read only so any information there can still be accessed.

The discussion hasn't ended, it has just moved. Join us on the Facebook Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group .

Donnacha

Mourne MR Donations

Talk about events

Moderator: GCI Admins

donnacha
Site Admin
Site Admin
Title: King Of The Rain

Mourne MR Donations

Post by donnacha » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:05 pm

Hi all. After the huge effort Mourne MR put in over the weekend to getting Paul safely off the mountain, we should make some kind of donation. The MR Teams throughout the country are mostly self funded and rely on donations to keep themselves going.

How does everyone feel about getting a collection together, and sending in a few quid? They have no online facility yet to take donations, but I was told they might have something up on their web site this week. I think however I would prefer to send in a single donation from a collection. It would be nice to know how much we send in, and it's a bit more personal.

I'm not sure what would be the best way for a collection. Paypal would work, but they will charge 3.4% plus 35 cent of the transaction. There's then a 0.5% "Cross Border Fee" for transactions from other countries. It costs nothing to withdraw the funds to a bank account where a cheque could then be drawn. If we go down the Paypal route I can take care of all that, I'm set up for it.

Does anyone know of a better way this could be done?

https://www.paypal.com/ie/cgi-bin/websc ... es-outside

Blue Jay
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Re: Mourne MR Donations

Post by Blue Jay » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:48 pm

I think a donation is a great idea - don't know how to go about it , but I'd be happy to give a few bob.

One credit transfer into their account in the group name would probably be the way to go ok.
This could be achieved by everyone transferring their donation to one person (you :) ) and then you doing the transfer in the group name. Just a suggestion.

"Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative" - Oscar Wilde

thomasvm

Post by thomasvm » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:49 pm

Sounds like a good idea - paypal is easy or just send money directly into your account - that would not cost anything?

beefy4605
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by beefy4605 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:52 pm

You have my donation already .
Was thinking about this on Sunday - I know it can't be done through GC.com ( due to their charity policy) but what about some sort of a getogether (BBQ) in the summer with a collection for the mountain rescue team ?
Keep Low, Move Fast & Trust No-one . . . . .

golaman
Lugnaquillia 925m
Lugnaquillia 925m

Post by golaman » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:32 pm

Sounds like a good idea Beefy. Maybe with an event which would attract more people and a BBQ with voluntary donations. Probably raise more and remove the need for one person sorting it all.

beefy4605
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by beefy4605 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:57 pm

Just in case there is any confusion. Send your money to donnacha now and how about something more in the summertime when the weather is better ?
Keep Low, Move Fast & Trust No-one . . . . .

johnrm

Post by johnrm » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:03 am

You could use mycharity.ie

donnacha
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by donnacha » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:24 am

johnrm wrote:You could use mycharity.ie
That would be ideal, but they aren't registered with mycharity.ie.

donnacha
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by donnacha » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:26 am

beefy4605 wrote:You have my donation already .
Was thinking about this on Sunday - I know it can't be done through GC.com ( due to their charity policy) but what about some sort of a getogether (BBQ) in the summer with a collection for the mountain rescue team ?
Yeah that would be good too.

donnacha
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by donnacha » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:31 am

thomasvm wrote:send money directly into your account - that would not cost anything?
You could, but it means having to visit a branch, or set it up on on your online account that can take a couple of days (at least with my bank anyway). I also don't really want to be sending my bank info out over the internet!

Hezekiah
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Hezekiah » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:06 am

beefy4605 wrote:You have my donation already .
The idea of a fund-raising event is attractive - the car parking area we hung around in prior to going off-road would be an ideal spot, able to cater for plenty of cars and a BBQ, etc.

How about an event in May?
Up is good!!

TeamHousty

Post by TeamHousty » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:41 am

event is a good idea, but it can't be held just to raise money, :(

but perhaps a quiet bucket collection around the folks attending :twisted: and maybe MMR may send someone down???

dodgerm

Post by dodgerm » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:46 am

If the MR is a registered charity, then coventanting a donation would allow them a tax benefit - I don't know if they'd be set up for this. A MR team member lives 2 doors from me - if I get a chance tonight I'll ask him.

Fjon
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Fjon » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:01 am

An event would be nice, would be fitting to have something in the Mournes perhaps, and pass a bucket around at some stage?

SargeNI
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by SargeNI » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:51 pm

I would be more than happy to make a donation to the MR and will keep an eye on this thread and will go with the consense of option. I quite like the idea of striking when the iron is hot especially if I can coventant the donation to allow the tax benefit to be got, but also like the idea of an event in May.

donnacha
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by donnacha » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:24 am

SargeNI wrote:I quite like the idea of striking when the iron is hot
I agree. In a couple of months most will have forgotton what happened last week. If no one objects, I suggest using my PalPal account which I can then withdraw to my own bank account and then send onto the MR. We can also do an event later on also.

dino

Post by dino » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:23 am

According to their FB page MR have registered with justgiving.com who can take a PayPal donation from us and make sure MR get the giftaid too.
Some gal would giggle and I'd get red
And some guy'd laugh and I'd bust his head,
I tell ya, life ain't easy for a boy named "Sue."

johnrm

Post by johnrm » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:36 am

donnacha wrote:
SargeNI wrote:I quite like the idea of striking when the iron is hot
I agree. In a couple of months most will have forgotton what happened last week. If no one objects, I suggest using my PalPal account which I can then withdraw to my own bank account and then send onto the MR. We can also do an event later on also.
Is that not going to be subject to a % charge from Paypal?
I like the idea of Mourne Mr claiming tax back etc., but its a shame that it can't be collected without being whittled down.

TeamHousty

Post by TeamHousty » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:21 am

Problem Solved

here is the link http://www.justgiving.com/mournemrt

People can just click on the above then click the donate button and make their own donation.

donnacha
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by donnacha » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:48 am

TeamHousty wrote:Problem Solved

here is the link http://www.justgiving.com/mournemrt

People can just click on the above then click the donate button and make their own donation.
Great, that was the facility the guys were talking about on the day. Anyone that gave me cash, I will send it on with my donation.