March 13th 2017

When I established the forums in 2005 it was to offer a more richer web experience and greater functionality than the platform where we started this social adventure in 2003, Yahoo Groups. The forums were once a busy hive of activity and provided locals and visitors with a wealth of information just like the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook today.

It was a time where we didn't have the many social media platforms we have today, and it was a different time in terms of mobility and technology. There was no instant access to information, no Google Maps and a very limited base map on your GPSr. Mobile connectivity for me was a 9600bps Infrared connection from a Nokia to a laptop and in later times to a PDA using WAP.

As we moved into the social media era so did our forums users. Geocaching Ireland moved there too, and we have a thriving community on the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook. As a result, forum activity isn't what it used to be and I have taken the decision to disable new registrations to the forums and to make the forums read only so any information there can still be accessed.

The discussion hasn't ended, it has just moved. Join us on the Facebook Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group .

Donnacha

10 Years! Sligo, Ireland: "Mountains to Sea"

Talk about events

Moderator: GCI Admins

donnacha
Site Admin
Site Admin
Title: King Of The Rain

Re: 10 Years! Sligo, Ireland: "Mountains to Sea"

Post by donnacha » Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:53 pm

golaman wrote:Just back from walking in Wicklow at the weekend and the same prob there.
Where abouts?

johnrm
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by johnrm » Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:36 pm

DO you mean you were hit again?!

Do you want a car alarm, boss!

dino

Post by dino » Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:03 pm

AFAIK it's been a well documented problem in the Wicklow Mtns for some time. I see Kili has warnings on all his caches.

I would go with local knowledge on this occasion and if David says no need then I'd be happy parking my car there unsupervised. To be honest it's never been a concern to me except in more urban or very frequently used parking spots.
Some gal would giggle and I'd get red
And some guy'd laugh and I'd bust his head,
I tell ya, life ain't easy for a boy named "Sue."

golaman
Lugnaquillia 925m
Lugnaquillia 925m
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by golaman » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:09 am

No I wasn't hit and I have a very good alarm.

spy caleb
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by spy caleb » Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:07 pm

I have never heard of any problems at Dunmoran Strand.
Would be very surprised if there were. I am more than happy to leave my car there unattended, and would have no worries.

Blue Jay
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Blue Jay » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:57 pm

We're hoping to get down to this at some stage over the weekend, only thing is it clashes with a stag for Toffee Man so we're working on it.
Could I just check the plans? Trying to put it all together from the cache page, the forum & the FB page:

Day 1 Saturday - Coastal Walk - Dunmoran To Augris.
Meet at Car Park at Dunmoran Beach 12:00pm. 10k - (glad to see it's on the flat - as several people can testify I'm not so good on hills [:)] )
Stopping off somewhere (?) along this walk at The Beach Bar. ( seafood chowder & guinness mentioned so far ....)
Sat night meet for food, chat, drinks etc. in Molly Fultons.

Day 2. Sunday - Bog Road To Benbulbin Mountain:
The walk will commence at 11am at Glencar Lake.
Bog Road from Glencar Lake to Benbulbin 7kms

Nothing further mentioned.
Have I missed anything?
oh and loads of caches - exotic I believe [:)]

"Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative" - Oscar Wilde

spy caleb
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by spy caleb » Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:55 pm

Hi Blue Jay 5

I think you got a good handle on the week end. Do hope you can make it. What could be more important than a stag party!!!! :lol: :lol:

dino

Post by dino » Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:40 am

spy caleb wrote:Hi Blue Jay 5

I think you got a good handle on the week end. Do hope you can make it. What could be more important than a stag party!!!! :lol: :lol:
A geocaching event of course :shock:

;)

spy caleb
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by spy caleb » Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:21 pm

Re: Evening Get together on Saturday 1st May 2010.
NB Please note a change in venue to:

The Glass House, Hyde Bridge, Sligo.

I think this location is better suited to our requirements.
It is centre city and has own private car parking. Should be free when we are using the hotel facilities.
They have two bar areas, both overlooking the Garravogue River.
The upstairs one would be particularly suited to our needs.
Suggest we meet at 7:00pm and eat at 7:30pm
They have offered a four course menu with an excellent choice of starters, main course, deserts and coffee for 25euro per person.
It would be good if you could indicate if you wish to avail of this so I can book the restuarant in advance.
They also have an a-la-carte menu at varying prices.
If you could email me or post your choice asap.

dino

Post by dino » Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:50 pm

Already posted this on FB but probably best to discuss it here:

I'm a big fan of The Glasshouse. It also has underground parking which is free of charge if you eat or drink in the hotel :)

What time do you think we'll be finished walking on the Saturday afternoon?

spy caleb
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by spy caleb » Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:05 pm

Yes saw your post on FB. Planning to do the walk tomorrow to lay down a cache trail. Should have a good idea exacly how long it will take after that.

Blue Jay
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Blue Jay » Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:10 pm

We'll be there :D - going down Friday (Sligo Park Hotel if anyone's around for a pint / chat - or if people are meeting anywhere else please give us a shout)
Seemingly there's a big music festival on Saturday in Sligo too. Got it hard to get a booking for Sat night but got a B&B on Pearse Rd. I'm sure it'll be fine.
Count us two in for the meal on Saturday night in the GlassHouse please Spy. :wink:
Won't get to do the walk on Sunday, have to hit off to Cavan to meet up with the stag crowd.
Looking forward to it all.
Blue Jay 59 & Toffee Man

Blue Jay
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Blue Jay » Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:18 pm

where's the posting on FB?
I must be blind, I can't see it :(

dino

Post by dino » Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:38 am

It's on David's FB page so you'll only see it if he's one of your "friends"

I've sent you a PM

dino

Post by dino » Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:10 pm

Anyone planning on camping on the Saturday night?

spy caleb
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by spy caleb » Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:44 am

Did a reckky of the Dunmoran to Aughris yesterday. The entire walk took about 3 and a half hours with stops etc.
I covered 12 kms in the round trip. However have decided to reduce this to around 10kms as the last part of the walk on Aughris Head is very exposed. The path narrows and there are steep cliffs with no protection. .
The length of the walk can be reduced further for those who feel it is too long. What I propose is that for those who wish is to arrive at the Beach Bar a half hour before the event time and we can car pool to the start at Dunmoran Beach. This will in effect reduce the over all walk by a further two and half kms. ie When we arrive back at the Beach Bar for those who cars are there they will not have to make the return walk to Dunmoran Strand to collect their cars.
It would be good if there are a number of car driver willing to go to Beach Bar in the morning to facilitate this. I will be there myself but can only take 4 drivers at max.
The road distance between the Beach Bar and the Dunmoran Strand is 5kms.
Have laid down a nice trail of caches along the way which will be published on the day of the event. There are 8 in the queue awaiting publication + two exisiting one already published. making a total of 10 available along the route. :ban :ban :ban :- :-

Fjon
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Fjon » Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:56 am

Sounds great! I can volunteer my car (4 spaces)

spy caleb
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by spy caleb » Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:30 pm

Thanks fjon, that sound good for a start. If all goes well we should not have many cars to be collected back at the start.

Re Dinner at The Glasshouse
Could those who are attending the saturday event please indicate and confirm that they will be attending the dinner.
Need to get back to The Glasshouse with numbers ASAP.

dino

Post by dino » Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:04 pm

Put me down as a definite maybe. My annual leave next week is now up in the air but I'm 99% sure I'll still be able to make both days.

You might have a bit if difficulty getting firm numbers for the dinner. Been there done that :wink:

NaDoohans

Post by NaDoohans » Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:24 pm

Sorry can't give a definate answer, but 80% sure we won't make the dinner - hoping to make the saturday walk but won't know for sure until a lot nearer the date :(

I'd love to see the Glasshouse, my mum stayed there last year and really liked it :D