March 13th 2017

When I established the forums in 2005 it was to offer a more richer web experience and greater functionality than the platform where we started this social adventure in 2003, Yahoo Groups. The forums were once a busy hive of activity and provided locals and visitors with a wealth of information just like the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook today.

It was a time where we didn't have the many social media platforms we have today, and it was a different time in terms of mobility and technology. There was no instant access to information, no Google Maps and a very limited base map on your GPSr. Mobile connectivity for me was a 9600bps Infrared connection from a Nokia to a laptop and in later times to a PDA using WAP.

As we moved into the social media era so did our forums users. Geocaching Ireland moved there too, and we have a thriving community on the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook. As a result, forum activity isn't what it used to be and I have taken the decision to disable new registrations to the forums and to make the forums read only so any information there can still be accessed.

The discussion hasn't ended, it has just moved. Join us on the Facebook Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group .

Donnacha

Sligo Event In May

Talk about events

Moderator: GCI Admins

spy caleb
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Sligo Event In May

Post by spy caleb » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:27 pm

Fjon wrote:I think I could do that date. Also would be on for either an event in Dublin, or somewhere more exotic like Sligo or Clare! Don't think there's ever been an event in Cork, has there?
Feel really chuffed Spark. First time I have ever heard Sligo as being described as exotic.
Would love to host an event in Exotic Sligo sometime, but not in March.

donnacha
Site Admin
Site Admin
Title: King Of The Rain

Re: Possible Dublin Event In March

Post by donnacha » Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:21 am

spy caleb wrote:Would love to host an event in Exotic Sligo sometime, but not in March.
How about April\May?

Hezekiah
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Hezekiah » Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:34 am

spy caleb wrote: Feel really chuffed Spark. First time I have ever heard Sligo as being described as exotic.
Everything has a context - remember, where's he from originally?? :twisted: :twisted:
Up is good!!

parkmoy
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by parkmoy » Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:42 am

spy caleb wrote:
Feel really chuffed Spark. First time I have ever heard Sligo as being described as exotic.

Everything has a context - remember, where's he from originally??

Ah sure why wouldn't it be exotic, it's near Fermanagh :roll: :D

NaDoohans

Post by NaDoohans » Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:48 pm

parkmoy wrote:

spy caleb wrote:

Everything has a context - remember, where's he from originally??

Ah sure why wouldn't it be exotic, it's near Fermanagh :roll: :D
and even more importantly near Donegal - exotic :o

spy caleb
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by spy caleb » Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:33 pm

Seriously guys and girls :wink:
Do you think there would be an interest in an event in Exotic (was going to replace the x with an r :oops: ) SLIGO. :?: :?: :?: :?:
Love to hear all your thoughts

May.......2010

Spark_ie
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Spark_ie » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:00 am

spy caleb wrote:Seriously guys and girls :wink:
Do you think there would be an interest in an event in Exotic (was going to replace the x with an r :oops: ) SLIGO. :?: :?: :?: :?:
Love to hear all your thoughts

May.......2010

I'd be up for that .. if there was one in Cork for August :P

Seriously, though sligo sounds good !

parkmoy
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by parkmoy » Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:40 am

Go for it David!

golaman
Lugnaquillia 925m
Lugnaquillia 925m

Post by golaman » Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:44 am

Sounds good. Sligo in May and Cork in August. Tin tent rearin to go.

Fjon
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Fjon » Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:00 am

I'd be on for both events - a midweek meet in Dublin, and a bigger event in Sligo/ Cork/ Clare/ wherever! :hi

TeamHousty

Re: Possible Sligo Event In May

Post by TeamHousty » Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:32 pm

An Erotic event in Sligo :shock:

count me in :twisted:

jrm-irl

Post by jrm-irl » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:32 pm

TeamHousty wrote:An Erotic event in Sligo :shock:

count me in :twisted:
I'm always up for exotic and/or erotic events in Sligo! :D

Kili or bust

Post by Kili or bust » Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:17 pm

Yep, Dave go for it but if it is possible and suits all, try to make it before the 15th. Off to the High Atlas on 15th and not back till well into June.
Sligo would be fab for an event in any case!! :D

Blue Jay
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Blue Jay » Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:01 pm

Sounds like a plan coming together =D>

"Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative" - Oscar Wilde

dino

Post by dino » Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:26 pm

Organise it and they will come :ban
Some gal would giggle and I'd get red
And some guy'd laugh and I'd bust his head,
I tell ya, life ain't easy for a boy named "Sue."

spy caleb
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by spy caleb » Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:56 pm

dino wrote:Organise it and they will come :ban
How exactly do I go about it :?: :?: :?:
It would be my first.
Might recruit the help of the Two Amigos
Had discussed some time ago. Will chat them at the weekend
Early May sounds good. Would the Bank hol be an idea :?:

dino

Post by dino » Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:06 am

Simplest form is to organise a venue for a meal or just somewhere to sit and chat where food and/or drink can be bought.

You can make things more complicated by arranging an activity for during the day but you'll find that even if you don't people will still come and they will spend the day caching.

The trend recently has been to organise a large number of caches for release the day before or the day of the event but to be honest there are loads of great caches in Sligo area already and you will have enough stress worrying about the venue or a possible activity without also worrying about putting out loads of new caches.
Some gal would giggle and I'd get red
And some guy'd laugh and I'd bust his head,
I tell ya, life ain't easy for a boy named "Sue."

dogwhisperers

Post by dogwhisperers » Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:57 am

If it is organised for Easter time, I will be able to attend, as I am sure lots of people would. Sounds like a good plan. :D

golaman
Lugnaquillia 925m
Lugnaquillia 925m

Post by golaman » Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:53 pm

If I were you I would follow Dino's advice. Some great caches in Sligo and the area. Just pick a date that suits you and all whom it suits will be there. Looking forward to it-if it suits. [-o<

NaDoohans

Post by NaDoohans » Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:25 pm

[-o< it won't be the 8th (ds's first communion) and [-o< it won't be the 15th (local feis on here) :band