March 13th 2017

When I established the forums in 2005 it was to offer a more richer web experience and greater functionality than the platform where we started this social adventure in 2003, Yahoo Groups. The forums were once a busy hive of activity and provided locals and visitors with a wealth of information just like the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook today.

It was a time where we didn't have the many social media platforms we have today, and it was a different time in terms of mobility and technology. There was no instant access to information, no Google Maps and a very limited base map on your GPSr. Mobile connectivity for me was a 9600bps Infrared connection from a Nokia to a laptop and in later times to a PDA using WAP.

As we moved into the social media era so did our forums users. Geocaching Ireland moved there too, and we have a thriving community on the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook. As a result, forum activity isn't what it used to be and I have taken the decision to disable new registrations to the forums and to make the forums read only so any information there can still be accessed.

The discussion hasn't ended, it has just moved. Join us on the Facebook Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group .

Donnacha

Cheap Sat Nav

Recommended On and Offline Retailers To Buy Your Gear. Announce Any Good Deals You May Know Of Here.

Moderator: GCI Admins

SargeNI
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Cheap Sat Nav

Post by SargeNI » Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:30 pm

My old Garmin Sat Nav is getting a little long in the tooth now and was looking for a replacement unit. I came across these on ebay and was wondering if anyone has got one or knows anything about them.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/320759840921? ... 1423.l2649

They are Chinese mass produced stuff, but with full EU mapping, 7" screen, blue tooth, and lots more features for less than £60.00 they look like it might be worth a go.

The only thing stopping me at the moment is my concern over will I be able to add my own caches as POI and can you add a waypoint straight from the screen.

Any knowledge would be very welcome.

wildfowler
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Re: Cheap Sat Nav

Post by wildfowler » Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:29 pm

I would be wary of such "bargain basement" type SatNavs! A friend bought a similar type one off eBay and the user interface was awful. Also the maps weren't great and nigh on impossible to update! He wasn't a geocacher so I don't know about adding POI's etc. In the end he got fed up with it completely and went and bought a Garmin Nuvi!

What's wrong with the Nuvi you've got Robbie? If the maps are outdated, it is quite simple to update them now through the Garmin site. Although the Maps for Life make more sense price wise than a one off update. Around £120 vs £80 for the Nuvi I have (310T) although I haven't updated mine yet either.

Trying to decide whether to purchase a more up to date unit myself for the same price as the maps. Some new ones come with free updates too! Found quite a few good prices on the Handtec Website here - http://tinyurl.com/cx9zm5u Including this one for a similar price as your eBay special!

At least if you stick with a Garmin you know you can add the POIs and Waypoints and also you'll have some clue how to work it! Plus if it breaks you'll have somewhere to send it back to that will honour a warranty of sorts!
"Wait a minute, Doc. Ah... Are you telling me that you built a time machine... out of a DeLorean?"
ImageImage

dino

Post by dino » Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:58 am

Handtec are good and I'd echo what Graham says about sticking with what you know works.
Some gal would giggle and I'd get red
And some guy'd laugh and I'd bust his head,
I tell ya, life ain't easy for a boy named "Sue."

johnrm

Post by johnrm » Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:30 am

A few years ago I was doing handsfree kits etc, and was asked by customers for cheap GPS.
I supplied a few cheap units and found that come time to update maps, the brand had disappeared.

IMO, mapping and updates are more important than the hardware.

That said, Garmin are no angels. They let down a lot of their customers when they switched to NT mapping a few years ago, leaving legacy hardware out in the cold. (Garmin Quest etc.)

SargeNI
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by SargeNI » Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:59 pm

I have an old M4 PDA Pocket PC - I have no issue with the Sat Nav on it or the availability of the mapping. My issue is that I now have great difficulty connecting it to the PC. A few months back, after one of the Microsoft service pack updates, left me in a position where the M4 would not connect to the PC via ActiveSync.

Not sure if this is purely a software problem or I've damaged the USB port on the Sat Nav. Either way, the only way to get the caches on to the Sat Nav is to take the SD card out of the unit and load the POI via a card reader.

The M4 also runs a pre-version 2 of the Nuvi software so the functionality is pretty poor compared the the functionality of the newer models.

I was attached to the unit above by the 7" screen and the blue tooth, to get a basic Garmin with a 5" screen and blue tooth will run about £120 which is twice the price of this unit. But given the comments above may save a few more pennies for the Garmin - unless there are any more of you out there who know different.

Thanks for your honest opinions

wildfowler
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by wildfowler » Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:03 pm

Check Maplin and Halfords too! They have some good deals on with it coming up to Christmas and all!

Or you could try asking Santa really, really nicely! :lol:
"Wait a minute, Doc. Ah... Are you telling me that you built a time machine... out of a DeLorean?"
ImageImage

dino

Post by dino » Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:49 pm

Or PCWorld/Currys....we've pretty good deals too ;)

wildfowler
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by wildfowler » Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:09 pm

dino wrote:Or PCWorld/Currys....we've pretty good deals too ;)
Shameless, absolutely shameless!! [-X

:mrgreen:
ImageImage

SargeNI
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by SargeNI » Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:46 pm

Have now purchased a Garmin Nuvi 1490 from a company called Satnaveasy. Impressed with both the Garmin's functionality and the service from Satnaveasy.

The Garmin has a 5" screen and bluetooth for contacting the phone it came with 2012 full European maps and came in around £100 while its not as cheap as the ones on ebay it appears to be very good value.

All I need to do now is load it with lots of caches.

Once again thanks for all those who took the time to comment and give some advice.

dino

Post by dino » Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:33 am

Are those maps on a lifetime license for updates or just a once off?

Posted via Tapatalk on Android

SargeNI
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by SargeNI » Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:15 pm

No the maps are only on a 60 update from first use.

I think you would be expected to pay a good deal more a lifetime license. Garmin have offered a 20% discount on all maps as a Christmas offer but even with this the maps on the unit would cost £59.99, whats more than half of what I paid for the unit.

I should point out that the unit I got was a white box unit (I think that is a commercially re-worked unit from Garmin) but it came in a new case with all the normal accessories. I also see that Satnaveasy has put the price of the unit up by £7 taking it up to £106 but still very good value.

A further question for anyone in the know, the unit I have is marked as a Nuvi 1490T but what I purchased was a Nuvi 1490. The "T" indicates a traffic signal via an FM tuner, what I've read is that the FM receiver is built into the power cable. Of course mine does not appear to have that. Q. Can I upgrade the functionality of my unit by adding the appropiate cable and is it worth it?

beefy4605
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by beefy4605 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:18 pm

SargeNI wrote:
A further question for anyone in the know, the unit I have is marked as a Nuvi 1490T but what I purchased was a Nuvi 1490. The "T" indicates a traffic signal via an FM tuner, what I've read is that the FM receiver is built into the power cable. Of course mine does not appear to have that. Q. Can I upgrade the functionality of my unit by adding the appropiate cable and is it worth it?
Can you upgrade - Yes
Is it worth it - thats the difficult question . If you use it in Northern Ireland theres a good chance you will know all the little bypasses and get out of trouble quick routes probably better than the satnav will . If you do a lot of driving South of the border and in the UK it may be of benefit to you but what you have to realise is every other Garmin satnav with traffic is going to be sent that way as well which then asks the question"Will it be any quicker ?"
My opinion - don't bother unless you do a lot of driving in and around major cities ie London , Birmingham, Manchester. I did have it on mine for the first year but I didn't renew the subscription and I never missed it . Better listening to the travel reports on the radio to be honest.
Maps for life upgrades are down to £60 (approx) at the minute and are probably a better buy .
Keep Low, Move Fast & Trust No-one . . . . .

SargeNI
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by SargeNI » Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:42 pm

The problem with maps for life is that they are tied to specific hardware and the chances are you will want to upgrade the hardware before you get the full value out of them and with the new hardware you will get new maps anyway. The only value I see with maps for life is you can upgrade them 3-4 times a year while the maps will not change must the POI, in particular the speed camera and road speed limits should be more accurate.

medic143

Post by medic143 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:54 am

Was walking round a walmart yesterday. They had USA Garmin 5 inch screen with maps for life for a staggering $75+tax (about €60 as of today). Checked to see if that model had a memory card slot and unfortunately it didn't so no spare space for uploading Europe maps.