March 13th 2017

When I established the forums in 2005 it was to offer a more richer web experience and greater functionality than the platform where we started this social adventure in 2003, Yahoo Groups. The forums were once a busy hive of activity and provided locals and visitors with a wealth of information just like the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook today.

It was a time where we didn't have the many social media platforms we have today, and it was a different time in terms of mobility and technology. There was no instant access to information, no Google Maps and a very limited base map on your GPSr. Mobile connectivity for me was a 9600bps Infrared connection from a Nokia to a laptop and in later times to a PDA using WAP.

As we moved into the social media era so did our forums users. Geocaching Ireland moved there too, and we have a thriving community on the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook. As a result, forum activity isn't what it used to be and I have taken the decision to disable new registrations to the forums and to make the forums read only so any information there can still be accessed.

The discussion hasn't ended, it has just moved. Join us on the Facebook Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group .

Donnacha

Coat Advice

Recommended On and Offline Retailers To Buy Your Gear. Announce Any Good Deals You May Know Of Here.

Moderator: GCI Admins

dino

Coat Advice

Post by dino » Wed May 25, 2011 12:19 pm

I'm looking to buy a light, waterproof and breathable shell jacket. I have in mind something that can be worn over a fleece or a soft shell to add an extra layer of protection on a wet day. Those three attributes are equally important and warmth is not an issue. Price, as ever, is and I'm looking to keep the cost as low as possible without sacrificing too much in quality.

Anyone got any suggestions?
Some gal would giggle and I'd get red
And some guy'd laugh and I'd bust his head,
I tell ya, life ain't easy for a boy named "Sue."

Hezekiah
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Re: Coat Advice

Post by Hezekiah » Wed May 25, 2011 1:06 pm

Move to a drier climate?

I have yet to find what you are looking for - my next purchase is likely to be Pertex based (Paramo, Buffalo), where the emphasis is on warmth at the cost of dryness!

I'll be watching this thread with interest, though!
Up is good!!

Fjon
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Fjon » Wed May 25, 2011 1:38 pm

Hmm, I bought a Berghaus jacket in 53 Degrees North. Might be a bit bigger than what you're looking for though.
Got it for less than €100, it's a black Gore-tex one. It's pretty light, waterproof and breathable.
Can't remember the name of it unfortunately. I think Juliana has the same one, or very similar, so maybe she knows?

jme1979

Post by jme1979 » Wed May 25, 2011 2:25 pm

I have a Berghaus Pro Shell jacket (no other info on the label - just checked :) :) ) which definitely came in men and womens fits at the time I bought it. The one I have is lightweight, lots of pockets, I wear it over fleeces and so on all the time (its all about the keeping dry, it really won't do the job if you're looking to stay toasty warm without lots baselayers!!!). It was somewhere in or around the same price that barraseclaid just said (reduced!!!!) - the brand fusion shop at The Outlet on the A1 might be worth a stop if you are heading up from Dublin in a couple of weeks, as its where it (and most of my other Berghaus stuff!!) came from, and they tend to have a good selection of coats in.

barraseaclaid

Post by barraseaclaid » Wed May 25, 2011 3:07 pm

jme1979 wrote: It was somewhere in or around the same price that barraseclaid just said (reduced!!!!)

Twas fjon!

You have me on the brain julianna :wink:

SargeNI
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by SargeNI » Wed May 25, 2011 3:11 pm

Just a note on the previous post I think heard my wife say that Brand Fusion in Banbridge is closing or has closed. But if it is open their prices are not bad.

The other option is MandM Direct on the internet

Donmoore

Post by Donmoore » Wed May 25, 2011 7:39 pm

I for many years bought almost exclusively only The north face clothes and was happy with the warranty and product until I had some leaking issues with my first Prophecy paclite gore tex coat. On my first serious walk of 20 miles where it persistently drizzled the whole timeI was soaked (the coat is labelled for "extreme wet weather") Sent it back and quickly got a replacement then a few months after that went for a 30 mile walk and was soaked to the bone after 8 miles! makes for a very unpleasant journey. Took it back and was messed around for months until I moved to Canada with no coat and about 200 quid out of pocket. eventually after my constently contact Surf Mountain (retailer) emailing TNF europe and Chatting/emailing with TNF north America no dice! Finally emailed Surf mountain just to tell them how let down I had been with the customer service and I was going to forward all the information which I kept to Stephen Nolan I finally got the 2010 prophecy paclite sent to me.

It seems good but yet to be tested properly.

On the flip side of this story Ruddigar was with me on these trips wearing a coat he was given for free and was dry as bone. I believe it was a company own brand of waterproofing too. cant remember exactly.

Draw your own conclusions there.

jme1979

Post by jme1979 » Thu May 26, 2011 8:37 pm

SargeNI wrote:Just a note on the previous post I think heard my wife say that Brand Fusion in Banbridge is closing or has closed. But if it is open their prices are not bad.

The other option is MandM Direct on the internet
You were spot on about it closing, only 5 more days left :( :(

On the bright side, its a good time to stock up in it if you like Berghaus stuff, they have a lot of their jackets reduced really well (I have just acquired another Berghaus Pro Shell (Aura) for £50 :) :D )

Spark_ie
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Spark_ie » Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:24 am

Niall,
Meant to reply to this ages ago, but I have the following Jacket :

Regatta Isolite 5000 Waterproof Jacket

Got it in a sale in 53 Degrees North last Oct/Nov for €25.. But it's on sale again on the Regatta Website, although it looks like theres limited sizes now.. I can check what size mine is and let you know the measurements etc..

I've used it more times than my much more expensive North Face Jacket, as it's super light, waterproof, and has a very good hood on it. Bargain for €25 ! :idea: :idea: 8)

Blue Jay
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Blue Jay » Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:43 pm

That looks really good Mark.
What size was yours?

"Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative" - Oscar Wilde

johnrm

Post by johnrm » Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:07 pm

(Everyone goes out and buys one of these, next Event cache is going to be like a game of Where's Wally?!)

Spark_ie
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Spark_ie » Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:24 pm

Blue Jay wrote:That looks really good Mark.
What size was yours?
Mine is Medium... Measurements as follows -

Top of neck to bottom = 75cm
Armpit to armpit = 58cm
Armpit to sleeve = 58cm

johnrm wrote:(Everyone goes out and buys one of these, next Event cache is going to be like a game of Where's Wally?!)
Mine's Green.. So pick something else ladies and gentlemen 8) 8)

dino

Post by dino » Sat Jun 18, 2011 7:16 am

Spark_ie wrote:Niall,
Meant to reply to this ages ago, but I have the following Jacket :

Regatta Isolite 5000 Waterproof Jacket

Got it in a sale in 53 Degrees North last Oct/Nov for €25.. But it's on sale again on the Regatta Website, although it looks like theres limited sizes now.. I can check what size mine is and let you know the measurements etc..

I've used it more times than my much more expensive North Face Jacket, as it's super light, waterproof, and has a very good hood on it. Bargain for €25 ! :idea: :idea: 8)
Thanks Mark, exactly what I'm after and at a great price too :)
Some gal would giggle and I'd get red
And some guy'd laugh and I'd bust his head,
I tell ya, life ain't easy for a boy named "Sue."

barraseaclaid

Post by barraseaclaid » Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:44 pm

great deal altogether...just ordered! definetely gonna be whereswally.com at the next event i even have a stripey hat!

TXLiz
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by TXLiz » Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:30 pm

Spark_ie wrote:
Blue Jay wrote:That looks really good Mark.
What size was yours?
Mine is Medium... Measurements as follows -

Top of neck to bottom = 75cm
Armpit to armpit = 58cm
Armpit to sleeve = 58cm

?? is that the same as Front Body Length, Chest Width & Sleeve Length :lol:

please spare us your britches measurements :oops:
Last edited by TXLiz on Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
~Strangely Strange But Oddly Normal~

magra11

Post by magra11 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:50 pm

barraseaclaid wrote:great deal altogether...just ordered! definetely gonna be whereswally.com at the next event i even have a stripey hat!
I went to the world record thing in Cork :D . Did anyone else go to one?

+ I've been using a regatta jacket for the last two years and I love it. At this stage it has probably guarded me from an olympic-pool-sized amount of rain. :roll:

TXLiz
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by TXLiz » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:25 pm

thats about 2.5 million liters :lol:
I gotta get me one of those jackets!
~Strangely Strange But Oddly Normal~

johnrm

Post by johnrm » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:28 am

magra11 wrote:I went to the world record thing in Cork :D . Did anyone else go to one?
What was that then?

Blue Jay
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Blue Jay » Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:31 am

johnrm wrote:
magra11 wrote:I went to the world record thing in Cork :D . Did anyone else go to one?
What was that then?
http://www.rpa.ie/en/news/Pages/LuasLau ... ecord.aspx

"Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative" - Oscar Wilde

magra11

Post by magra11 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:35 pm

TXLiz wrote:thats about 2.5 million liters :lol:
I gotta get me one of those jackets!
2.5 million liters + a pinch of salt :^o