March 13th 2017

When I established the forums in 2005 it was to offer a more richer web experience and greater functionality than the platform where we started this social adventure in 2003, Yahoo Groups. The forums were once a busy hive of activity and provided locals and visitors with a wealth of information just like the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook today.

It was a time where we didn't have the many social media platforms we have today, and it was a different time in terms of mobility and technology. There was no instant access to information, no Google Maps and a very limited base map on your GPSr. Mobile connectivity for me was a 9600bps Infrared connection from a Nokia to a laptop and in later times to a PDA using WAP.

As we moved into the social media era so did our forums users. Geocaching Ireland moved there too, and we have a thriving community on the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook. As a result, forum activity isn't what it used to be and I have taken the decision to disable new registrations to the forums and to make the forums read only so any information there can still be accessed.

The discussion hasn't ended, it has just moved. Join us on the Facebook Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group .

Donnacha

Notebooks

Recommended On and Offline Retailers To Buy Your Gear. Announce Any Good Deals You May Know Of Here.

Moderator: GCI Admins

Fjon
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Notebooks

Post by Fjon » Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:47 am

Anyone know somewhere online I can buy a few cheap notebooks (logbooks)?
I'm looking for small ones that would fit into smaller tupperware boxes or decon containers.
Or am I better off getting stuff in Tesco or €2 shops?

dino

Re: Notebooks

Post by dino » Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:50 am

Best ones I've come across are in Easons. A small top bound spiral notebook. They cost 45p in Derry where I get them but not sure what they are in the Southern stores. The store in Letterkenny is small and doesn't stock them. They are small enough to fit in a decon box, have a black plastic cover and decent paper that doesn't fall out or disintegrate in the damp. The latter two are the biggest problems I find with cheap notebooks.
Some gal would giggle and I'd get red
And some guy'd laugh and I'd bust his head,
I tell ya, life ain't easy for a boy named "Sue."

Fjon
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Fjon » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:10 am

Great - so that's hopefully about 65c/ 75c. I'll try to pick up a few of those if I see any in my local Eason's

medic143

Post by medic143 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:07 am

Asda do (or did) a small notebook cache sized for about 15p. Have a small stock of them from when I last bought some so not entirely sure if still available or same price.

I'm sure I saw spiral ones in one of the northern pound shops 3/4 for pound recently.

Not much point in mentioning 99c shops in the USA where the rest of our current stocks were sourced :-D

Fjon
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Fjon » Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:55 am

Those Asda ones sounds good. Are they more or less the size of a pack of cigarettes?
I stopped off in Easons last night and picked up a selection. I didn't see the ones Niall mentioned, but got some other more expensive ones.
I think I'm sorted for the next few years, but when I run out I'll see if I can plan a trip to Kilkeel or Downpatrick.

medic143

Post by medic143 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:31 am

Asda ones are 7.5cm wide and 12.5cm long, 60 pages. "Asda Smart Price" memo pad.

Chances are I'll be up the North both Saturday and Sunday so if I pass an Asda I'll pop in and check for you if they still stock them.

dino

Post by dino » Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:55 am

medic143 wrote:Asda ones are 7.5cm wide and 12.5cm long, 60 pages. "Asda Smart Price" memo pad.

Chances are I'll be up the North both Saturday and Sunday so if I pass an Asda I'll pop in and check for you if they still stock them.
I find the glue at the top of these very poor and the pages fall out when they've been in a cache for a while.

andymacmyc

Post by andymacmyc » Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:07 pm

medic143 wrote:Asda ones are 7.5cm wide and 12.5cm long, 60 pages. "Asda Smart Price" memo pad.

My local Asda have these at 17p and I use them in my caches. As Dino says the slightest bit of damp and they tend to not hold up too well. The last time I checked about a week ago they still sold them.

miah505

Post by miah505 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:55 am

Asda notebooks are good size but very flimsy.I bought them but would not get them again for that reason. Eason ones sound better.

Fjon
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Fjon » Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:20 am

Here is the selection I bought. Not cheap though:

They cost: 35c, €1.99, €1.25

The middle (green) seems like the best, and has the most pages, but cost a fortune.

dino

Post by dino » Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:52 pm

The green one looks like the one I recommended but mine is a bit smaller and as it's Eason's own brand much cheaper!

Hezekiah
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Hezekiah » Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:59 pm

Anyone interested in A7 size (105mm x 74mm (4 1/8 " x 2 7/8" for you Imperialists!)) log books?

Plastic comb bound; 40 pages of good quality paper; lined to encourage 6 logs on each page (lined on both sides) - that's approx. 450 log entries, enough for most caches :wink: ; cover with Geocachingireland shop logo (of course!) and space for cache name and owner's name.

Should be priced at about 40c, could also provide the same spec in A8 size for smaller caches (74mm x 51mm) for 30c.

If you're interested, let me know - if there is sufficient interest, I'll go into production!
Up is good!!

medic143

Post by medic143 » Wed May 25, 2011 6:46 pm

Was in poundland up north yesterday. 10 x 42 page spirals (8x15cm) and 4 x 80 page hard back (8x11) 1stg. Good value and look like they'll last

SargeNI
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by SargeNI » Wed May 25, 2011 9:51 pm

... and where would you find a cache up North big enough to put one of those note books into :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :roll:

medic143

Post by medic143 » Wed May 25, 2011 10:26 pm

SargeNI wrote:... and where would you find a cache up North big enough to put one of those note books into :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :roll:
just because some northern cachers seem to buy nanos by the gross doesn't mean there isn.t the odd cache that means I can leave the magnifying glass in the car :twisted:

beefy4605
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by beefy4605 » Thu May 26, 2011 5:28 pm

SargeNI wrote:... and where would you find a cache up North big enough to put one of those note books into :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :roll:
I'll have one for you soon enough that will be big enough :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :?: [-o<
Keep Low, Move Fast & Trust No-one . . . . .

dino

Post by dino » Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:45 am

Anyone know the best place to get waterproof/Write in the Rain notebooks from? Can't see any in Alan's shop and it's a while since I bought any.

barraseaclaid

Post by barraseaclaid » Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:54 pm

+1 on dinos question...and then some...need pen and paper that will write underwater...watch this space

Hezekiah
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Hezekiah » Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:01 am

barraseaclaid wrote:+1 on dinos question...and then some...need pen and paper that will write underwater...watch this space

Rite in the rain paper and waterproof paper both in stock - working on notebooks at present! If you give me a call re size of notebook required, a prototype might be available. :D
Up is good!!

NaDoohans

Post by NaDoohans » Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:45 am

Hezekiah wrote:Anyone interested in A7 size (105mm x 74mm (4 1/8 " x 2 7/8" for you Imperialists!)) log books?

Plastic comb bound; 40 pages of good quality paper; lined to encourage 6 logs on each page (lined on both sides) - that's approx. 450 log entries, enough for most caches :wink: ; cover with Geocachingireland shop logo (of course!) and space for cache name and owner's name.

Should be priced at about 40c, could also provide the same spec in A8 size for smaller caches (74mm x 51mm) for 30c.

If you're interested, let me know - if there is sufficient interest, I'll go into production!
I'd be interested in both sizes - would they be ready for the cache n coffee event 13 July :lol: