March 13th 2017

When I established the forums in 2005 it was to offer a more richer web experience and greater functionality than the platform where we started this social adventure in 2003, Yahoo Groups. The forums were once a busy hive of activity and provided locals and visitors with a wealth of information just like the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook today.

It was a time where we didn't have the many social media platforms we have today, and it was a different time in terms of mobility and technology. There was no instant access to information, no Google Maps and a very limited base map on your GPSr. Mobile connectivity for me was a 9600bps Infrared connection from a Nokia to a laptop and in later times to a PDA using WAP.

As we moved into the social media era so did our forums users. Geocaching Ireland moved there too, and we have a thriving community on the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook. As a result, forum activity isn't what it used to be and I have taken the decision to disable new registrations to the forums and to make the forums read only so any information there can still be accessed.

The discussion hasn't ended, it has just moved. Join us on the Facebook Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group .

Donnacha

Protective films for your Gps

Recommended On and Offline Retailers To Buy Your Gear. Announce Any Good Deals You May Know Of Here.

Moderator: GCI Admins

dh/nh Heppy

Protective films for your Gps

Post by dh/nh Heppy » Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:42 pm

Just ordered and received a set of protective films for my Garmin screen from these guys. Cheaper than anyone else i could find and super fast delivery from Germany. Got mine on Ebay but they have their own site also. Going to order some more for my Tom Tom. £1.49 for a set of 6. :D

protectionfilms24 Ebay id

http://www.protectionfilms24.com

medic143

Re: Protective films for your Gps

Post by medic143 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:24 pm

Protective films come in different weights. I've found with the lighter ones they scratch up too easily, hopefully yours are the thicker type

dh/nh Heppy

Post by dh/nh Heppy » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:42 pm

Right enough they are pretty thin 0.05 mm thick, but ah well i got six so i can always change them. Some protection must be better than none, bound to save my screen a bit till i get a case for it. :cry:

medic143

Post by medic143 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:23 pm

Depending on what case you're looking for there's a shop in the outlet in ban bridge that does bergahaus cases for small money. The small fits the Oregon perfectly and the medium is big enough for spare batteries and a pen. Of course you have to take the gps out when using it so films are still essential

Think I got the same as you for the gps and they do scratch easily. Got a heavier weight for the iPhone and still haven't had to change it

johnrm

Post by johnrm » Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:44 pm

I put the Zagg screen protector on my Colorado, very good and a custom fit.
A bit dear though.

barraseaclaid

Post by barraseaclaid » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:33 pm

tell you what though the zagg ones are worth the money... if they get scratched or damaged/loose stickness they will replace for the cost of postage (about 3euroo) for the life of the device....I googled for a discount code and found one that gave a buy one get one free option so i have one on the device (iphone) and one ready to repplaace..actualyl the last time I was swapping out the old one it wasnt that damaged and i was sort of worried that zagg wouldnt replace for free so I tried to scratch it purposely to ensure they would replace it and using a dinner knife managed to put some marks on it...when i was about to put it in the envelope the next day i noticed that the scratches had all but dissapeared as the case is sort of self healing so this time i went at it with a piece of heavy sand paper and gave it a good aul damagin!
three days later new one in the post...happy days!

dh/nh Heppy

Post by dh/nh Heppy » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:36 pm

Wheres the best place to buy the zagg covers from.

johnrm

Post by johnrm » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:35 am

They do them online, direct from zagg.com
I have seen them in retail, but I'm guessing the won't have the one you need as they are a custom fit.
In Retail, I'm only guessing you'll be able to get them for the iPhone.
oh, and the iPhone2.
maybe the iPhone3

...and probably the iPhone4.

wildfowler
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by wildfowler » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:38 am

dh/nh Heppy wrote:Wheres the best place to buy the zagg covers from.
http://www.zagg.com/invisibleshield/gps/garmin

I wouldn't use anything else!
"Wait a minute, Doc. Ah... Are you telling me that you built a time machine... out of a DeLorean?"
ImageImage

dh/nh Heppy

Post by dh/nh Heppy » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:56 am

wildfowler wrote:
dh/nh Heppy wrote:Wheres the best place to buy the zagg covers from.
http://www.zagg.com/invisibleshield/gps/garmin

I wouldn't use anything else!
They look amazing. Will be keeping my eyes peeled for codes for special offers. Even dear daughter should be hard pressed to do these harm. :D