March 13th 2017

When I established the forums in 2005 it was to offer a more richer web experience and greater functionality than the platform where we started this social adventure in 2003, Yahoo Groups. The forums were once a busy hive of activity and provided locals and visitors with a wealth of information just like the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook today.

It was a time where we didn't have the many social media platforms we have today, and it was a different time in terms of mobility and technology. There was no instant access to information, no Google Maps and a very limited base map on your GPSr. Mobile connectivity for me was a 9600bps Infrared connection from a Nokia to a laptop and in later times to a PDA using WAP.

As we moved into the social media era so did our forums users. Geocaching Ireland moved there too, and we have a thriving community on the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook. As a result, forum activity isn't what it used to be and I have taken the decision to disable new registrations to the forums and to make the forums read only so any information there can still be accessed.

The discussion hasn't ended, it has just moved. Join us on the Facebook Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group .

Donnacha

Fold up bike

Recommended On and Offline Retailers To Buy Your Gear. Announce Any Good Deals You May Know Of Here.

Moderator: GCI Admins

barraseaclaid

Fold up bike

Post by barraseaclaid » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:29 pm

To cut a short story long....

Now that the summer is here Im looking out to get a bit more caching done and there are more than a few times that i have said to myself that a bicylcle would save hours and hours walking around...now dont get me wrong love the outdoors but im a small bit hyper active and like getting around at a faster than walking/jogging pace

I have a decent raleigh mountain bike that to be honest since I bought it in 2008 has done a grand total of 19miles (according to the speedo) It has spent the last year or two in the garage and was out once or twice when lenten resolutions told me to leave the car at home and before that I had it in letterkenny to get to and from work but as any of you know LK isnt the most bike friendly of terrains and it was hard work cycling up glencar scotch so I caved in and got a car!

Id love to get it out and take it along on some of my cachepeditions but the thought of roof racks/bike racks sickens me in any case the volvo has a non bike rack condusive spoiler! so Im looking into a fold up that will go on road and perhaps off road now and then as in forest path/track sort of thing and courtesy of the bike to work scheme am willing to spend the full amount i.e. 600euro plus 400euro tax relief....1000euro

I know eric you do a lot of bike caching in the uk from time to time so any suggestions or anyone else any thoughts?

medic143

Re: Fold up bike

Post by medic143 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:32 am

Never shopped for one before but I have a few observations for you.

Most folding bikes are comuter types with small wheels (16"). Not great for any kind of distance. They also don't tend to stand up to much abuse so you will have a very narrow range that will probably be a special order for most Irish shops.

Have a look at

http://www.nickys-nursery.co.uk/seeds/p ... gbikes.htm

and

Animal, Birdy and Airframe are also folding bike brands that get good mentions on web sites.

From my own experience bike caching, a 700c ordinary type road bike doesn't suit me. No suspense, narrow tyres makes even a canal path a chore. That said the full MTB with dual suspension and nobby tyres might make a forest track viable but will require significant extra effort on a run like the newry tow path.

I use a hybrid at present (not folding). Smooth enough on road to get good mileage but rugged enough on gravel/grass tracks to make them passable. Gearing on some types are closer to MTBs, on others closer to road bikes.

You'll need to consider carefully what type of caches you intend to go after. I can't think of too many I've done in Ireland (or the UK for that matter) where would have had the physical ability to cycle a MTB to if a hybrid would not have sufficed. Whatever you go for should have lockable suspension (if not off road you'll save a lot of energy) and think about tyre types. If you really intend to go mad off road you might need 2 sets of tyres, one smoother for terrain up to canal track and one full MTB for uphill forest track.

Don't forget to allow a couple of hundred euro for the inflatible kayak you'll need to get to some of the other types of caches as you travel round the country. :D

medic143

Post by medic143 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:39 am

Don't know what you drive but I have a Skoda Fabia (and before that a Toyota Carolla Salon) and I managed to transport bikes without racks on both these vehicles. The Fabia just needs the front wheel dropped out, the Toyota could take a normal racing bike on the back seat with both wheels dropped out.

Just a thought before you go spending bigger money on a fold up than on a normal bike.

My current model was bought under the bike to work scheme as well. :D

Blue Jay
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Blue Jay » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:29 am

medic143 wrote: My current model was bought under the bike to work scheme as well. :D
Can it fit in the back of the ambulance? :wink:

"Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative" - Oscar Wilde

medic143

Post by medic143 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:20 pm

Blue Jay wrote: Can it fit in the back of the ambulance? :wink:
The correct question is how often it had been loaded into the back of an ambulance. Can't get a 1000 euro bike wet :D

barraseaclaid

Post by barraseaclaid » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:26 pm

cheers eric....and did u read my mind regarding the kayak...i was just about to ring my lpcal bike shop/outdoor store (at the risk of a revenue sting operation they shall remain nameless) and see if they stock dahon bikes and inflatable kayaks because I have heard of ppl buying "one" expensive bike that cost the full one thousand that look a lot like two five hundred euro bikes so perhaps the shop might have a bike to suit me with a bike accessory i.e. a helmet that floats on water and looks a lot like a kayak :wink: :wink:

Blue Jay
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Blue Jay » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:21 pm

You wouln't be thinking of trying to defraud the Revenue, now would ya? :)

medic143

Post by medic143 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:07 am

Kayak buying advice - just in case. If you're going down the inflatible route there is a vast range going from what are little better than bath toys to hose that are quite reliable, tough skinned craft. Unless you're spending big money forget going off shore in them. On the basis that you're "only" doing lakes you need to remember that several of the inland lakes are 4km+ round trips by kayak and there are a lot of nasty rocks out there.

They are almost all smooth bottoms which makes them a little harder to control when paddling (my wife's sit on has a small keel which helps it go in a straight line).

In addition to your kayak you need a GOOD bouyancy aid. Your paddle (which ideally for what you're talking about should be told up as well) needs to be sized for you - plenty of kayak sites with advice on paddle sizes. You probably wouldn't need a helmet if you're only talking about good days on inshore lakes. You mighty consider a dry bag to keep whatever you're bringing with you.

To give you an idea on price, Lidls do one occasionally that retails at 100 euro. Decathlon in Belfast have a good range - with the lower end looking very fragile to me. From memory the last time I was in the shop you were heading the for 300stg range before they looked reliable.

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/EN/recreatio ... k-3273585/

Don't forget to check if they come with some means of inflating them for factor that in to your budget as well.

Personally speaking I think it's too much to spend on getting a few caches. Without checking I think there are only 5/6 kayak caches with a couple of hours of Dundalk and only a handful in the rest of the country. You might be better buying a roof rack and bribing me with gifts (a solution to MI5 would get you a 1/2 days kayak hire presently) :mrgreen:

barraseaclaid

Post by barraseaclaid » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:40 pm

eric I wouldnt mind a lend of that mind reading device you had too...its like ur in my head regarding the kayak

Blue Jay
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Blue Jay » Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:10 pm

medic143 wrote:(a solution to MI5 would get you a 1/2 days kayak hire presently) :mrgreen:
Love it :)

medic143

Post by medic143 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:58 pm

Blue Jay wrote:
medic143 wrote:(a solution to MI5 would get you a 1/2 days kayak hire presently) :mrgreen:
Love it :)
Might stretch to a full day hire for COs who put out caches for my missing D/Ts (but only on the basis that I can actually solve the puzzle and find the cache) :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Offer also open to the first cacher to emails me with how to solve the final stage of paddy's goat.

That includes you Steve.

In fact I'll stretch to a guided tour of a kayak cache of your choice. :twisted: :twisted:

barraseaclaid

Post by barraseaclaid » Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:17 pm

was in the bike shop today and the one i was looking at is 1600euros so that rules that one out...back to the drawing board...might have a look at a road bike with detachable wheels...

medic143

Post by medic143 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:46 am

barraseaclaid wrote:might have a look at a road bike with detachable wheels...
As mentioned above used this solution with a Toyota Avensis Salon and it fitted on the back seat okay. You need something to cover the seats with as the bike usually came back somewhat muddy and oil from the chain is a BSTD to get out of seats.

A road bike by default will not have the gearing, suspension or tyres (unless changed) to tackle forest track. Even something as simple as the river path out of Navan is torture on a road bike (not impossible just torture) after you pass the end of the tarmac section and you can forget about trying to do the ramparts cachces from Oldbridge on one.

I have found memories of using a road bike in the UK the first year and swore never again - but it just depends on what type of caches you're looking for.

Maybe someone would comment on the like of the North Costal walk or Canal series out of Dublin and how practical a road bike would be ?

Fjon
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Fjon » Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:14 am

medic143 wrote: BSTD
Black Sea Trade and Development ?
Bahrain Society for Training and Human Resources Development ?
Bureau of Sexually Transmitted Diseases ?
Bivoltine Sericulture Technology Development?

dino

Post by dino » Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:19 pm

Bar Steward :wink:
Some gal would giggle and I'd get red
And some guy'd laugh and I'd bust his head,
I tell ya, life ain't easy for a boy named "Sue."

Hezekiah
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Hezekiah » Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:25 pm

Fjon wrote:
medic143 wrote: BSTD
Black Sea Trade and Development ?
Bahrain Society for Training and Human Resources Development ?
Bureau of Sexually Transmitted Diseases ?
Bivoltine Sericulture Technology Development?
Close - Bovine STD (big in Louth, apparently) :twisted:
Up is good!!

barraseaclaid

Post by barraseaclaid » Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:52 am

Remember the foot and mouth disease...there ya go

medic143

Post by medic143 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:25 pm

BTSD = think the first word that springs to mind when you see a newly published puzzle cache by certain parties (and there's more than one these days !!) :lol:

johnrm

Post by johnrm » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:03 pm

Heres mine, might throw it in the trunk for Friday ;)
Attachments
Bike3.JPG
Bike2.JPG
Bike1.JPG

barraseaclaid

Post by barraseaclaid » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:04 pm

how much