March 13th 2017

When I established the forums in 2005 it was to offer a more richer web experience and greater functionality than the platform where we started this social adventure in 2003, Yahoo Groups. The forums were once a busy hive of activity and provided locals and visitors with a wealth of information just like the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook today.

It was a time where we didn't have the many social media platforms we have today, and it was a different time in terms of mobility and technology. There was no instant access to information, no Google Maps and a very limited base map on your GPSr. Mobile connectivity for me was a 9600bps Infrared connection from a Nokia to a laptop and in later times to a PDA using WAP.

As we moved into the social media era so did our forums users. Geocaching Ireland moved there too, and we have a thriving community on the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook. As a result, forum activity isn't what it used to be and I have taken the decision to disable new registrations to the forums and to make the forums read only so any information there can still be accessed.

The discussion hasn't ended, it has just moved. Join us on the Facebook Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group .

Donnacha

Rechargeable Batteriies

Recommended On and Offline Retailers To Buy Your Gear. Announce Any Good Deals You May Know Of Here.

Moderator: GCI Admins

magra11

Rechargeable Batteriies

Post by magra11 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:48 pm

Does anyone know of a good set of rechargeable batteries and a charger for them. Preferably Nimh batteries. Not too expensive and under 5 hour charging time.
Thanks , magra11 :mrgreen:

barraseaclaid

Re: Rechargeable Batteriies

Post by barraseaclaid » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:50 pm

eric always recommends the 7dayshop.com and get anything with over 2000mAH but dont know about the five hourcharge though...best to get a few sets and have one in gps set one spare and two charging sets ie two (i.e. 4 batteries) to carry with and two to charge

dino

Post by dino » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:51 pm

barraseaclaid wrote:eric always recommends the 7dayshop.com and get anything with over 2000mAH but dont know about the five hourcharge though...best to get a few sets and have one in gps set one spare and two charging sets ie two (i.e. 4 batteries) to carry with and two to charge
+1 on this 8)
Some gal would giggle and I'd get red
And some guy'd laugh and I'd bust his head,
I tell ya, life ain't easy for a boy named "Sue."

Spark_ie
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Spark_ie » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:56 pm

5hr charging time shouldn't come into it....

You should charge your batteries when it is cheapest to use electricity (11pm - 7am)

Coincidently, this is the same time that you sleep (Normally 7-8 hours)

So this is plenty of time to charge any capacity batteries you may have...

:wink: :wink:

barraseaclaid

Post by barraseaclaid » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:16 pm

perhaps our local friendly geocaching shop man has some in stock? (or should buy loads and sell em on???) [-o< :wink:

----------------
Listening to: Radical Face - Let The River In

Hezekiah
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Hezekiah » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:28 pm

barraseaclaid wrote:perhaps our local friendly geocaching shop man has some in stock? (or should buy loads and sell em on???) [-o< :wink:
I use 7dayshop 2800 myself - I'd cheerfully stock 'em, but they're so easy to get from http://www.7dayshop.com, I'd only be making them a bit more expensive!
Up is good!!

medic143

Post by medic143 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:42 am

barraseaclaid wrote:eric always recommends the 7dayshop.com and get anything with over 2000mAH but dont know about the five hourcharge though...best to get a few sets and have one in gps set one spare and two charging sets ie two (i.e. 4 batteries) to carry with and two to charge
7day is still my prefered source. :D

http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/product ... _id=102043

This one meets your charging requirements (although there are slower ones that are cheaper) and has the advantage of having a car adaptor as well.

If you know anyone up the North (maybe someone coming to the Cork Event ?) they can order your stuff post free.

Spark_ie
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Spark_ie » Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:59 am

medic143 wrote: If you know anyone up the North (maybe someone coming to the Cork Event ?) they can order your stuff post free.
You could send to me in Glasgow... I'll be at the Cork event...?

johnrm

Post by johnrm » Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:44 pm

7dayshop also do little plastic battery boxes, perfect for keeping 4xAA or even 4xAAA batteries safe in the knapsack.

medic143

Post by medic143 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:32 pm

johnrm wrote:7dayshop also do little plastic battery boxes, perfect for keeping 4xAA or even 4xAAA batteries safe in the knapsack.
Last time I ordered batteries from them the boxes came free with purchase thought they're cheap and make good cache swaps if you order spares

SargeNI
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by SargeNI » Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:14 pm

7dayshop the place to deal

http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/product ... _id=107341 their "Good to Go" range will hold their charge for months, very useful if your forgetful like me.

or

http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/product ... _id=108409 these ones if you're after sheer power, some of the highest capacity batteries on the market.

or

http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/product ... _id=108606 if you must have the top brand named product, but remember they are rechargable and don't dispose of them like standard batteries after a single use - now who would do a thing like that :oops:

magra11

Post by magra11 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:45 am

Thank you everyone for your help and suggestions but while in Sligo over the weekend I popped in to NCF and there at the front were batteries and a charger half price, so I bought them.

medic143

Post by medic143 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:06 pm

Tesco have Duracell Rechargeable Supreme 4 AA (2450 & 2650). There shelf labels are not always right. I got them (well a friend got them for me because I can't find stuff even with hints #-o ) for €1.40 a pack :lol:

STandard Duracell AAA 4+4 are 56c but you need to price check them as some packs (which look identical) are scanning much higher.

SD 4GB cards (HP) are also (depending on packaging) either €3 or €14 - guess which I'm recommending. =P~

klossner
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by klossner » Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:43 pm

medic143 wrote:SD 4GB cards (HP) are also (depending on packaging) either €3 or €14.
That could be a difference in speed grade. Class 2 SD cards are so slow that it can take your camera quite some time to save a photo. The higher the class number, the faster the card can store new data. Look for a number inside a capital C. Here are class 2 and class 6 cards:
ImageImage