March 13th 2017

When I established the forums in 2005 it was to offer a more richer web experience and greater functionality than the platform where we started this social adventure in 2003, Yahoo Groups. The forums were once a busy hive of activity and provided locals and visitors with a wealth of information just like the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook today.

It was a time where we didn't have the many social media platforms we have today, and it was a different time in terms of mobility and technology. There was no instant access to information, no Google Maps and a very limited base map on your GPSr. Mobile connectivity for me was a 9600bps Infrared connection from a Nokia to a laptop and in later times to a PDA using WAP.

As we moved into the social media era so did our forums users. Geocaching Ireland moved there too, and we have a thriving community on the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook. As a result, forum activity isn't what it used to be and I have taken the decision to disable new registrations to the forums and to make the forums read only so any information there can still be accessed.

The discussion hasn't ended, it has just moved. Join us on the Facebook Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group .

Donnacha

Off to Mega Wales

Recommended On and Offline Retailers To Buy Your Gear. Announce Any Good Deals You May Know Of Here.

Moderator: GCI Admins

SargeNI
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Off to Mega Wales

Post by SargeNI » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:25 pm

If anyone is thinking of going over to the Mega in Wales and needs cheap accomodation you could do worst that check out the Travelodge.co.uk sale. I just picked up 4 nights for £19/room per night - that has to be cheaper than camping. I then got three nights over in Burton, half way between Dayton manor and Alton Towers for £10/room per night.

Tried paying by Debt card which is free but it would recognise the First Trust so had to use a Credit Card at £2.00 per transaction.

medic143

Re: Off to Mega Wales

Post by medic143 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:06 am

SargeNI wrote:
Tried paying by Debt card which is free but it would recognise the First Trust so had to use a Credit Card at £2.00 per transaction.
IF you are booking more than one place than you can add an extra stay to your original booking before checking out so that there's only a single charge on the whole booking.

Did this when I was booking my 9stg rooms for my room around the UK in April/May this year. :D

SargeNI
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by SargeNI » Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:22 pm

Now that I've got my accomodation can anyone recommend any deals on ferry crossings. I would prefer to go via Dublin or Dun Laoghaire to Holyhead. Are there any voucher codes or specials?

johnrm

Post by johnrm » Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:15 am

I don't know if it applies, but have a look here...
http://content.stenaline-edeals.co.uk/? ... HIa5mxT03G

medic143

Post by medic143 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:49 pm

SargeNI wrote:Now that I've got my accomodation can anyone recommend any deals on ferry crossings. I would prefer to go via Dublin or Dun Laoghaire to Holyhead. Are there any voucher codes or specials?
If you have a rake of tesco vouchers they can be turned into travel vouches for use on Stenna or Irish Ferries. Turned 60 euro of tesco vouchers into a fully paid return ferry trip for me and the car for last year's UK rampage. =D>

7 weeks to go to this years :D

andymacmyc

Post by andymacmyc » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:38 am

I've had my accomodation sorted for a while as I have family quite close to the event and finally booked my boat going Rosslare to Fishguard and going for a week so I have a few days either side of the mega for some caching and the surrounding events.

I'm really looking forward to it but I have a lot of caching between now and then as I am hoping the Mega will be number 500 for me :D