March 13th 2017

When I established the forums in 2005 it was to offer a more richer web experience and greater functionality than the platform where we started this social adventure in 2003, Yahoo Groups. The forums were once a busy hive of activity and provided locals and visitors with a wealth of information just like the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook today.

It was a time where we didn't have the many social media platforms we have today, and it was a different time in terms of mobility and technology. There was no instant access to information, no Google Maps and a very limited base map on your GPSr. Mobile connectivity for me was a 9600bps Infrared connection from a Nokia to a laptop and in later times to a PDA using WAP.

As we moved into the social media era so did our forums users. Geocaching Ireland moved there too, and we have a thriving community on the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook. As a result, forum activity isn't what it used to be and I have taken the decision to disable new registrations to the forums and to make the forums read only so any information there can still be accessed.

The discussion hasn't ended, it has just moved. Join us on the Facebook Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group .

Donnacha

Garmin etrex Venture HC or GPSMAP 60CSx???

Recommended On and Offline Retailers To Buy Your Gear. Announce Any Good Deals You May Know Of Here.

Moderator: GCI Admins

mrmac250

Garmin etrex Venture HC or GPSMAP 60CSx???

Post by mrmac250 » Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:05 am

Please help!
I came all the way to Orlando on a family holiday, and forgot the gps!
So, I was up in Bass Pro Shop (feckin brilliant!), and they have the eTrex H for $90, the Venture HC for $119.94 and the GPSMAP 60CSx for $199.99.

I already have the Oregon 400t, I love how easy it for geocaching, but tbh, hate the fact that it's sooooo hard to read in daylight.

I want a good, reliable, long battery life, good in daylight unit.
The ability to add maps via sd card would be an advantage, but not a deal breaker.
I'd be happy to pay the $200 for the 60 CSx, if you guys recommend it.

Cheers, PJ.

Zoe andDaddy

Re: Garmin etrex Venture HC or GPSMAP 60CSx???

Post by Zoe andDaddy » Thu Jun 10, 2010 5:48 am

I have a 60 CX and love it. It last along time on batteries and is good in the field only problem is you don't have the cache pages.
Though you can use other programs on your phone or export to HTML from GSAK and send this to your phone.

donnacha
Site Admin
Site Admin
Title: King Of The Rain

Post by donnacha » Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:04 am

I'd go for the 60CSx. Just be aware you won't have the ability to store gpx files as you can with the Oregon.

mrmac250

Post by mrmac250 » Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:42 pm

I'm not too worried about the gpx files, as I usually load up the Nuvi with all that extra info as well.
Works out handy when I'm driving somewhere I haven't cached before.

Ok, the 60CSx it is.

parkmoy
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by parkmoy » Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:53 pm

Sounds like you've made the decision but just in case you're still debating here's another vote for the 60csx. Tough as an old boot and very accurate plus you're getting it for peanuts. I'm waiting for one of these new fangled gizmos to improve on the accuracy before I would even think of changing.
You can also download a macro from GSAK which will let you put basic important info from the cache page on it as well eg hint, state of last 4 logs Found or Not Found etc.

medic143

Post by medic143 » Thu Jun 10, 2010 5:41 pm

I can recommend the 60 CSX as well. If you jaben't bought it yet have a look through the coupon books that you find in Orlando. As of last December there was a coupon in some of them that gave you a $10 discount if you spend over $100 in Bass Pro.

Just another option - you can get the Garmin Hcx Vista $215 or or Legend $182 through the Walmart ship to store option (basically they dont stock them in store but will ship them free to the store nearest you).

mrmac250

Post by mrmac250 » Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:32 pm

I haven't bought it yet, got an invite from some crazy Americans to go to Animal Kingdom Lodge for the day.
Oh, how the other half live!

I'm not going to get to Bass Pro today, too many things planned, but I hope to get there for 9am tomorrow.

Would the Vista / Legend models be a better choice?

There is a Walmart 2km away, and there's a cache in the car park :mrgreen:

Thanks for all the help.

Donmoore

Post by Donmoore » Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:49 pm

I always did like my 60cx, the only thing is getting used to kinda going backwards from col/oregon models. Accuracy is never really a problem for me as so many people use different devices when hiding caches I just get frustrated and blame them for being out with the co-ords!

mrmac250

Post by mrmac250 » Sat Jun 12, 2010 10:23 am

Thanks everyone for the advice.
I went and bought the 60 CSx, and used the 60CSxPOI macro for GSAK, so I'll give this a go later today! :P