March 13th 2017

When I established the forums in 2005 it was to offer a more richer web experience and greater functionality than the platform where we started this social adventure in 2003, Yahoo Groups. The forums were once a busy hive of activity and provided locals and visitors with a wealth of information just like the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook today.

It was a time where we didn't have the many social media platforms we have today, and it was a different time in terms of mobility and technology. There was no instant access to information, no Google Maps and a very limited base map on your GPSr. Mobile connectivity for me was a 9600bps Infrared connection from a Nokia to a laptop and in later times to a PDA using WAP.

As we moved into the social media era so did our forums users. Geocaching Ireland moved there too, and we have a thriving community on the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook. As a result, forum activity isn't what it used to be and I have taken the decision to disable new registrations to the forums and to make the forums read only so any information there can still be accessed.

The discussion hasn't ended, it has just moved. Join us on the Facebook Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group .

Donnacha

New Oregon GPSr

Recommended On and Offline Retailers To Buy Your Gear. Announce Any Good Deals You May Know Of Here.

Moderator: GCI Admins

Fjon
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

New Oregon GPSr

Post by Fjon » Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:28 pm

Garmin are release the Oregon 450 and 450t in Feb.

The t model seems to be the same, except it has topo maps for Europe.

Was wondering what people's opinions on these maps were. Are they worth the extra money, or would you be better off just with the regular 450?

Oregon 450

Oregon 450t

Kili or bust

Re: New Oregon GPSr

Post by Kili or bust » Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:11 pm

That hardly includes the new Irish Top map that 53 Degrees North and Garmin are selling?? Might be worth it then, even if it is about 10 years out of date!

Fjon
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Fjon » Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:52 pm

No, I seriously doubt it's the same one.
I don't really know which maps it is tbh, but on the Garmin site it says it has full Topo coverage for Ireland.
Hoping someone more knowledgeable will butt in!

Kili or bust

Post by Kili or bust » Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:19 pm

With any luck they got sense and decided to include the full Irish Topo with new units as I don't imagine they were selling any of the maps on their own at the prices they were seeking!

Fjon
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Fjon » Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:39 pm

I got myself a 550T eventually with European Topo maps.
They actually aren't bad at all, I was pleasantly surprised

Spark_ie
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Spark_ie » Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:31 pm

Price... Or should I ask ? :?

Fjon
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Fjon » Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:58 pm

£366 from Amazon.co.uk
Not too bad

Jumpin Jiminie

Post by Jumpin Jiminie » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:41 pm

I guess we'll find out in a couple of days just how good the maps are :wink:

thomasvm

Post by thomasvm » Thu May 13, 2010 7:50 am

Ebay is selling Garmin Oregon 550t with preloaded european maps and topomaps for around £360 delivered. It seems that the Oregon can hold up to 5000 caches - more than any other handheld devise? I am looking for a good device as I will travel around europe and will use the GPS for work as well - not just geocaching :lol:
Any suggestions & ideas & comments?

TheBigAndyT
Slieve Donard 850m
Slieve Donard 850m

Post by TheBigAndyT » Thu May 13, 2010 8:12 am

Dino had posted this link a while ago and I've just got a 450 from them. It's a crackin price for a 550t
http://www.handtec.co.uk/product.php/19 ... regon-550t

dino

Post by dino » Thu May 13, 2010 8:45 am

thomasvm wrote:Ebay is selling Garmin Oregon 550t with preloaded european maps and topomaps for around £360 delivered. It seems that the Oregon can hold up to 5000 caches - more than any other handheld devise? I am looking for a good device as I will travel around europe and will use the GPS for work as well - not just geocaching :lol:
Any suggestions & ideas & comments?
Buyer beware at all times with eBay....where's it originating from? Hong Kong and it may be a rip-off and you may also get caught for import duty. America and same goes for the import. eBay is good but just be careful :wink:
Some gal would giggle and I'd get red
And some guy'd laugh and I'd bust his head,
I tell ya, life ain't easy for a boy named "Sue."

thomasvm

Post by thomasvm » Thu May 13, 2010 9:00 am

Thanks for theBigAndyT and Dino - Handtech has a much better offer (£279 ex VAT) and they deliver in 1-4 days to Ireland - I am seriously thinking getting this.
Any experiences with the Oregon 550T?

Frezeluberz
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Frezeluberz » Thu May 13, 2010 9:41 am

Yep ... very happy with it.
Can't say it's any better than the 450t cause I've never used one of them before.
The only difference I can think there is is a camera.
I have used the camera a good few times when I've forgotten to lift the actual camera out of the car.
Picture quality isn't half bad.

Fjon
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Fjon » Thu May 13, 2010 10:25 am

I'm slowly getting used to my 550t. At first I didn't like it at all, coming from a 60Csx.
Maps are pretty good on it (no routing though), and the 5000 cache limit is nice.
Camera quality isn't great, but I find it very useful as it geotags photos. Instead of taking waypoints the normal way, why not take a photo of the location? It will record the co-ordinates with it, making it so much easier to remember which co-ord is what.

TheBigAndyT
Slieve Donard 850m
Slieve Donard 850m

Post by TheBigAndyT » Thu May 13, 2010 6:23 pm

The 450t was my first GPS and I think it's perfect for the beginner. I briefly had a satmap and it certainly wasn't as user friendly. I'm almost sorry I didn't pay the extra twenty quid for the camera.

wildfowler
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by wildfowler » Thu May 13, 2010 10:55 pm

Wouldn't be without my 550t now! A great piece of kit! Does everything I want of it and more! Even works as a basic satnav now too since I added routable maps!
Highly recommend one! :mrgreen:
"Wait a minute, Doc. Ah... Are you telling me that you built a time machine... out of a DeLorean?"
ImageImage

thomasvm

Post by thomasvm » Wed May 19, 2010 9:10 pm

Received my Oregon 550t today - looks good and feels nice - cant wait to go out and check few GC :mrgreen: saved my first PQ's onto it - and off we go :D

johnrm

Post by johnrm » Wed May 19, 2010 10:46 pm

I got the 550t in the past week too.
It takes a bit of tweaking to get it right, a few minor glitches but very good overall.
Nice idea, but I'm not sure that I would be a big fan of the camera.

thomasvm

Post by thomasvm » Thu May 20, 2010 7:07 am

I recon the camera will come in handy when taking photos of found caches - as it records the coordinates where the photo was taken 8) it's weird to use a GPS without an antennae… but seems to work as I was sitting in the house and it still showed the location (with 10-15m accuracy).

johnrm

Post by johnrm » Thu May 20, 2010 10:56 am

thomasvm wrote:I recon the camera will come in handy when taking photos of found caches - as it records the coordinates where the photo was taken
This is Geotagging.
If you do not have this feature on your GPS, it works very successfully if the time in your phone/camera is the same as your GPSr.
The timestamps in the tracklog on the GPSr 'align' with timestamp on the photos you have taken.
Google 'Geotagging photos' or similar.