March 13th 2017

When I established the forums in 2005 it was to offer a more richer web experience and greater functionality than the platform where we started this social adventure in 2003, Yahoo Groups. The forums were once a busy hive of activity and provided locals and visitors with a wealth of information just like the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook today.

It was a time where we didn't have the many social media platforms we have today, and it was a different time in terms of mobility and technology. There was no instant access to information, no Google Maps and a very limited base map on your GPSr. Mobile connectivity for me was a 9600bps Infrared connection from a Nokia to a laptop and in later times to a PDA using WAP.

As we moved into the social media era so did our forums users. Geocaching Ireland moved there too, and we have a thriving community on the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook. As a result, forum activity isn't what it used to be and I have taken the decision to disable new registrations to the forums and to make the forums read only so any information there can still be accessed.

The discussion hasn't ended, it has just moved. Join us on the Facebook Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group .

Donnacha

Rechargeable Batteries

Recommended On and Offline Retailers To Buy Your Gear. Announce Any Good Deals You May Know Of Here.

Moderator: GCI Admins

Zoe andDaddy

Rechargeable Batteries

Post by Zoe andDaddy » Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:59 am

I have just got some rechargeable batteries from Ebay. They are a good price and delivered really quickly.

2500 mAh for £3.99

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/4-x-AA-NI-MH-rech ... 2304938bd1

3800 mHa for £4.99

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/4-x-AA-NI-MH-rech ... 23049387dd

johnrm

Re: Rechargeable Batteries

Post by johnrm » Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:57 pm

Have you any link to a review of them?
Sometimes batteries are cheap for a reason.

Zoe andDaddy

Post by Zoe andDaddy » Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:58 pm

I have not been able to find anything. I will test them and post my findings.

dino

Post by dino » Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:32 pm

I've always used 7dayshop and found them excellent batteries. You even get those handy little plastic carriers from them too.
Some gal would giggle and I'd get red
And some guy'd laugh and I'd bust his head,
I tell ya, life ain't easy for a boy named "Sue."

spy caleb
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by spy caleb » Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:09 pm

dino wrote:I've always used 7dayshop and found them excellent batteries. You even get those handy little plastic carriers from them too.

Very good online shop Dino. My spot for batteries and have been charged many times.
Also good source for SD cards :idea:

SargeNI
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by SargeNI » Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:34 pm

Yes - 7Dayshop is great especially now they do free postage. Play.com is also quite good for price and free postage.

My only concern is that rechargeable batteries has let me down too many times in the field, so I moved back to high power conventional batteries, when 7Dayshop did a great deal for box of 48.

My problem is that I'm never that organised, and rechargeable are not that forgiving, when they warn you about being low this is normal only minutes before they completely give up the ghost, and your course you're always miles away from civilisation. The second and third set that you charged and put in the the rucksack two weeks ago are also dead without ever having been used, so its game over for the day.

Mind you I bought some of the new rechargeable which are supposed to hold their charge better when not being used, but with limited caching over the last few months I've not had the chance to hammer them properly.

So if anyone has any experience of them I'd be happy to hear about them.

Donmoore

Post by Donmoore » Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:15 pm

Always liked 7dayshop pricing too.

I am however using Duracell rechargeable's at present and can get almost a full day out of one set with the backlight on for most of the time on my colorado. I think they are 2600mah I also have a set of Sanyo's 2000mah that came with a charger that can be plug into your car so that's helpful.. now I have 12 batteries I think I'm good for caching.

Zoe andDaddy

Post by Zoe andDaddy » Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:21 pm

I should have know better cheap batteries they did not last two hours. Have got myself Energizer 2500 mAh batteries I already have a set of four which I have had for two years and each two will last in my GPS for a day and a half's caching. I needed the second set for my camera.

I was looking for a quicker charger and found this think it might be good for caching on the go.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/UNIROSS-1-HOUR-CH ... 27abf23c5d

Zoe andDaddy

Post by Zoe andDaddy » Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:26 pm

donnacha
Site Admin
Site Admin
Title: King Of The Rain

Post by donnacha » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:24 am

Zoe andDaddy wrote:Or this, can it be true?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Uniross-sprint-15 ... 27af8116d1
I doubt it would give a full charge within 15 minutes, but I could be wrong. It is more likely an "Emergency" or quick charge. It will probably do a full charge in an hour. Uniross is a good brand, you can't go wrong. It has a car lead too which would be very handy.

cerbera147

Post by cerbera147 » Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:05 am

I was introduced to Sanyo Eneloop batteries several months and never looked back =D>

They are more pricey than others but have many benefits to traditional rechargeables.
  • They arrive pre charged
  • Have very low discharge
  • Can be charged up to 1500 times
  • And they just look good :D
I'm no battery expert but if you have hi tech equipment you really should consider these. In my bag I always have my camera and my GPS both powered with Eneloop AA's and 4 back ups. Yes they are more expensive but worth a look if you're replacing :)

I got mine from Amazon. I got the one that come with the handy case. It might even be worthwhile to order in bulk as a group buy.

More info here and here.

No, I don't work for Sanyo lol. Just a happy consumer of their batteries :D

DiamondDuo
Knockmealdown 794m
Knockmealdown 794m

Post by DiamondDuo » Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:28 pm

I get my low-discharge batteries here:

http://component-shop.co.uk/html/body_instant.html

Much cheaper. In fact, I get the Vapex Instant which are even cheaper than the Eneloops.

cerbera147

Post by cerbera147 » Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:35 pm

DiamondDuo wrote:I get my low-discharge batteries here:

http://component-shop.co.uk/html/body_instant.html

Much cheaper. In fact, I get the Vapex Instant which are even cheaper than the Eneloops.
Nice one =D>

I have plenty of AA's to keep me going but could do with some more AAA's for some of my lights, might try these guys out :D