March 13th 2017

When I established the forums in 2005 it was to offer a more richer web experience and greater functionality than the platform where we started this social adventure in 2003, Yahoo Groups. The forums were once a busy hive of activity and provided locals and visitors with a wealth of information just like the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook today.

It was a time where we didn't have the many social media platforms we have today, and it was a different time in terms of mobility and technology. There was no instant access to information, no Google Maps and a very limited base map on your GPSr. Mobile connectivity for me was a 9600bps Infrared connection from a Nokia to a laptop and in later times to a PDA using WAP.

As we moved into the social media era so did our forums users. Geocaching Ireland moved there too, and we have a thriving community on the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook. As a result, forum activity isn't what it used to be and I have taken the decision to disable new registrations to the forums and to make the forums read only so any information there can still be accessed.

The discussion hasn't ended, it has just moved. Join us on the Facebook Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group .

Donnacha

Garmin & 53° North Launch OSI Topographical Mapping

Recommended On and Offline Retailers To Buy Your Gear. Announce Any Good Deals You May Know Of Here.

Moderator: GCI Admins

Spark_ie
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Garmin & 53° North Launch OSI Topographical Mapping

Post by Spark_ie » Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:43 pm

Just got this Email from 53° North, based in Blanchardstown and Carrickmines......

Garmin and 53° North have teamed up to launch Garmin's new OSI topographical mapping in Ireland. Garmin Eire Discoverer is new full 1:50K OSI mapping for your Garmin GPS that is available in four regions, North-West, North-East, South-West and South-East. Some of Garmin Eire Discoverers features are:

* Full 1:50K coverage for the Republic of Ireland
* Based on Ordnance Survey Ireland maps
* Coverage includes - terrain contours, topo-elevations, summits, paths, routable roads and geographical points
* Turn-by-turn street navigation anywhere in the Republic of Ireland
* Uses premium NAVTEQ street mapping
* Thousands of points of interest
* Street address search

Competition

Get down to 53° North this weekend to be part of this amazing event and you could win a Dakota 20 GPS unit with an Irish map of your choice worth €510!

We are also offering 50% OFF a Garmin Eire Discoverer region card of your choice when you purchase an Oregon or Dakota 20 GPS!

Where and When

Date: Saturday 21st and Sunday 22nd of November

Time: 10am - 6pm

Stores

* Blanchardstown, Retail Park 3, The Blanchardstown Centre - (01) 8249156

* Carrickmines, The Park, Carrickmines - (01) 2149352

Zoe andDaddy

Re: Garmin & 53° North Launch OSI Topographical Mapping

Post by Zoe andDaddy » Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:29 pm

I like the sound of this I want to see what to OS maps look like on a GPS and if you can use them for walking. The lucky thing is I'm in Blanchardstown till two tomorrow if the weather is good might go and have a look.

SargeNI
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by SargeNI » Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:30 pm

I must rush out and get a couple of copies at such a low price :lol:

Spark_ie
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Spark_ie » Sat Nov 21, 2009 2:43 pm

SargeNI wrote:I must rush out and get a couple of copies at such a low price :lol:

If you'll foot the bill, I'll take one of the copies ! :lol: