March 13th 2017

When I established the forums in 2005 it was to offer a more richer web experience and greater functionality than the platform where we started this social adventure in 2003, Yahoo Groups. The forums were once a busy hive of activity and provided locals and visitors with a wealth of information just like the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook today.

It was a time where we didn't have the many social media platforms we have today, and it was a different time in terms of mobility and technology. There was no instant access to information, no Google Maps and a very limited base map on your GPSr. Mobile connectivity for me was a 9600bps Infrared connection from a Nokia to a laptop and in later times to a PDA using WAP.

As we moved into the social media era so did our forums users. Geocaching Ireland moved there too, and we have a thriving community on the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook. As a result, forum activity isn't what it used to be and I have taken the decision to disable new registrations to the forums and to make the forums read only so any information there can still be accessed.

The discussion hasn't ended, it has just moved. Join us on the Facebook Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group .

Donnacha

New GPSR???

Recommended On and Offline Retailers To Buy Your Gear. Announce Any Good Deals You May Know Of Here.

Moderator: GCI Admins

Jumpin Jiminie

New GPSR???

Post by Jumpin Jiminie » Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:40 pm

Evening All!

Hoping to get to a new GPSR in the next few weeks as an early birthday/christmas pressie to myself!!! I am currently using a very early version of the etrex which is certainly doing the job but I am hoping to go paperless.

I have been looking at the Oregon 200 as I am really trying to keep it under the €300 mark. (Doesn't have to be brand new)

Just wondering if any of you would have some reccommendations or suggestions?

Many thanks,

Jamie "Jumpin Jiminie".

Donmoore

Re: New GPSR???

Post by Donmoore » Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:00 pm

Not a colorado! probably more than your budget allows and not very good.

if you check out the cheap and cheerful thread we have just had this very discussing you might glean some info there.

Jumpin Jiminie

Post by Jumpin Jiminie » Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:19 pm

Brilliant, thanks for that Donmoore...I had a quick look in this section but didnt even think of checking Tech Support!!!

Mods, please feel free to remove/delete this :)

wildfowler
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by wildfowler » Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:24 pm

You want might want to hold fire for a bit and check out the Dakota prices when they are released. Looks like it's due to be the replacement\follow on for the Etrex that works along the same line as the Oregon's and it supports paperless! In fact it is designed as geocaching ready!

Check out the links below for more info!

Dakota 10

Dakota 20
"Wait a minute, Doc. Ah... Are you telling me that you built a time machine... out of a DeLorean?"
ImageImage

Jumpin Jiminie

Post by Jumpin Jiminie » Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:42 pm

Hi Wildfowler,

I was looking at those models alright as they are within my price range (€288 on shopireland.ie) but there are no reviews as of yet. From reading various posts, there tends to be some bugs with these new products...I might wait until some other poor unfortunate trys it out first!!!

wildfowler
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by wildfowler » Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:00 am

Most of the bugs seemed to have been ironed out of the latest software and firmware updates for the Oregon. I have a 550t and have had no problems with it so far apart from the WAAS not really working but I just turned that off. I never found it worked very well in may part of the country anyway.
I can't say the same for the Colorado but from what I read on here they're best avoided.
The Dakokas have just been released so there's probably not a lot of them sold yet but no doubt someone will review one soon. I spoke too soon just found these reviews on geocaching.com

Dakota 10 Reviews

Dakota 20 Reviews
"Wait a minute, Doc. Ah... Are you telling me that you built a time machine... out of a DeLorean?"
ImageImage

wildfowler
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by wildfowler » Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:05 am

Found another review, more in depth this one.

Dakota 20 Review
ImageImage

Jumpin Jiminie

Post by Jumpin Jiminie » Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:33 am

I think the Dakota 20 is turning out to be the best option for me. Not going to be doing anything major with it so hopefully I will get a few happy years of geocaching out of it!

Now to find the best price!! So far the cheapest I can find is €246 from the UK.

Thanks again for your help guys.

DiamondDuo
Knockmealdown 794m
Knockmealdown 794m

Post by DiamondDuo » Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:48 pm

£221 + £10(P+P) = £231 on handtec.co.uk

http://www.handtec.co.uk/product.php/21 ... -dakota-20

Frezeluberz
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Frezeluberz » Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:42 am

This is a bit of a bump, but I didn't know until last night so couldn't contribute ...
the Dakota doesn't do Wherigo ... not overly important as there are only 2 on the island.

Jumpin Jiminie

Post by Jumpin Jiminie » Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:07 pm

Well I finally bit the bullet... or should I say a few very special friends bit it for me and ordered me a Dakota 20 for my 30th!

Hope to be taking delivery of it later this week and getting out in to the wild and playing with it over the weekend so I will report back my findings incase anyone is interested.

Thanks again to everyone for their help

Jamie