March 13th 2017

When I established the forums in 2005 it was to offer a more richer web experience and greater functionality than the platform where we started this social adventure in 2003, Yahoo Groups. The forums were once a busy hive of activity and provided locals and visitors with a wealth of information just like the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook today.

It was a time where we didn't have the many social media platforms we have today, and it was a different time in terms of mobility and technology. There was no instant access to information, no Google Maps and a very limited base map on your GPSr. Mobile connectivity for me was a 9600bps Infrared connection from a Nokia to a laptop and in later times to a PDA using WAP.

As we moved into the social media era so did our forums users. Geocaching Ireland moved there too, and we have a thriving community on the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook. As a result, forum activity isn't what it used to be and I have taken the decision to disable new registrations to the forums and to make the forums read only so any information there can still be accessed.

The discussion hasn't ended, it has just moved. Join us on the Facebook Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group .

Donnacha

Anyone got a Garmin (60, Vista etc.) for sale?

Recommended On and Offline Retailers To Buy Your Gear. Announce Any Good Deals You May Know Of Here.

Moderator: GCI Admins

mrmac250

Anyone got a Garmin (60, Vista etc.) for sale?

Post by mrmac250 » Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:19 pm

Not sure if this is the right place to post this?
Mods feel free to move it, if need be.

I have a TomTom car Sat Nav, which I've been using to get me started. It's great, and I don't really have any problems with it.
But once I get to within 20 metres, it doesn't count down anymore, and I'm left hoping that the "Hint" is decent :D

I don't do a lot of hiking, and unlikely to do so anytime soon, so contour mapping and trail logging is not important.
High sensitivity, weatherproof and a count-down of remaining distance would be great, that's all I really need.

If anyone could suggest a reliable, kiddy friendly unit, that'd be great!
Even better if someone had one looking for a new and loving home???? ;)

TeamHousty

Post by TeamHousty » Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:56 pm

I got my vista HCX from the states via ebay (£150) has a load of features and very accurate

dino

Post by dino » Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:30 pm

Sounds like the Garmin Etrex H would be perfect for you. Anything more sophisticated will only really add mapping for you which you already have with the TomTom. You can also use that for paperless caching too 8)
Some gal would giggle and I'd get red
And some guy'd laugh and I'd bust his head,
I tell ya, life ain't easy for a boy named "Sue."

Donmoore

Post by Donmoore » Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:58 pm

425 Euro and my Colorado is yours!

mrmac250

Post by mrmac250 » Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:25 pm

dino - paperless???
That'd be great! I dragged my daughter out with me yesterday, on a wee hunt in Kilkenny!
Got her reg'd as LadyBug-IRL. She wasn't too keem until we found the first one, then she was estatic!
Managed to find two! Probably would have looked for more, but I had only wrote down the details for two :(

I've been to a few recently, and I'm brining a few GC & 1 TB up to Donegal with me!!!!

Now, back on-topic!
I'd love to go paperless, but haven't a clue how!
I've got a small stash of electronic gadgets lying around (donated to me as payment for fixing IT stuff!), so I sure I could figure it out, if I had a few pointers. I've two Dell Axims v51x, one has no sound (battery life sucks on both), I've 2 eeePC, ones a 701 2GB with a poxy version of Linux that someone messed up (must get around to fixing this!), and the other one is a 4GB version running some freaky "high spec" version of linux! Can these be used for "in-the-field" geocaching? I've also a bluethooth gps receiver that I used to use with one of the axims.

Any help would be great?

I'm going to take a gander at the geocaching.com forum, see if it has any info.

TIA.

Donmoore

Post by Donmoore » Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:49 pm

I'll take it thats a no for the colorado then.

You can go paperless in any number of ways from just having a seperate device to hold the cache information to having a garmin colorado or oregon.

I started with a little pocket pc that was absolute crap but did the job as far as storing all the cache information I needed it too. The downside to a lot of these options are that battery life is usually not the greatest or is high drain and you don't really want your mobile phone running out of juice while caching or you dont want to loose the info when you are trying to check it out in the field. Other main downside in my opinion is they are not rugged. not waterproof or very good when dropped.

That was the reason I went for the colorado which stores all the info and is directly connected to the cache I am at.

Its all swings and roundabout oh and cash!

mrmac250

Post by mrmac250 » Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:46 pm

Thanks Donmoore - the colorado is just too expensive for me!
I'm trying to see what kind of results I can get, with the stuff I already have!
So far, it's not too bad :)

I been doing some research (i.e. loads of reading!), and figure that I should go with GSAK, as this seems to be exactly what I'm looking for. I'll run this from my M$ Xp laptop, which I can power & run, in the car. I'm not going to use a PDA with cachemate - don't think I'll need it (open to correction.....). Plus upgrade my geocaching.com membership to a premium account!

mrmac250

Post by mrmac250 » Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:26 pm

Got the Premium Membership, and installed GSAK - wow, but that's a handy app!
Sorts everthing by distance from "Home", brilliant :)
Created a Pocket Query (I think!), so just waiting for the first email...........

wildfowler
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by wildfowler » Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:15 pm

Check out Dino's sticky on how to get every cache in Ireland on Pocket Queries! Very very handy! You can then download them straight into GSAK and just keep it updated every week.

http://forums.geocachingireland.com/vie ... php?t=1695

Also have a check on the online macro list for a macro that you may be able to run to send them all to your TomTom as POI's! Shows all of the cache information on the POI listing so no more paper! :D I did this for my Garmin Nuvi and haven't looked back since! I still have my old Etrex tho to have an arrow to follow close to the cache!!

Amazon currently have Etrex H on offer too! Check out the link below!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Garmin-eTrex-Ha ... 519&sr=8-1

They have the rest of the range there too at pretty reasonable prices too!

Meanwhile I'll continue to save my pennies for a 550T!! 8)
"Wait a minute, Doc. Ah... Are you telling me that you built a time machine... out of a DeLorean?"
ImageImage

klossner
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by klossner » Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:27 pm

If you don't want to spend a lot of money, pick up an older Palm PDA on ebay. Anything that runs PalmOS version 5 will do. Add the cachemate program and you can download the entire GSAK database to the PDA.

mrmac250

Post by mrmac250 » Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:12 am

Thanks Wildflowler - I've set up Dinos' 5 PQs
Do I have to delete "All Waypoints" each week, before I install the new PQ results, or will it just overwrite existing files, and add any new ones?

Thanks for the amazon link

Klossner - I have a Dell Axim X51v, with a Win-PC OS on it, which I might use for this. Cachemate has a version for this. Just not sure yet if I actually need it! Ah heck, who am I trying to kid? I'll probably try it anyway :)

wildfowler
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by wildfowler » Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:11 am

Excellent stuff!! 8)

You don't need to delete them each week! Just open the PQ results once you have GSAK open in the correct database and it will ammend, overwrite or add any new waypoints or changes that have been made.
Just keep an eye out for any archived cache's you have done because PQs will not pick up archived caches. BUt you can archive them yourself by going to the page and downloading the indvidual GPX file. Only really important if you're trying to run statistics or something like that!
"Wait a minute, Doc. Ah... Are you telling me that you built a time machine... out of a DeLorean?"
ImageImage

mrmac250

Post by mrmac250 » Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:16 pm

WOW - got 2284 waypoints in GSAK!
That's a great app. - thanks for the heads-up, and thanks dino for the PQs :)

Think I'll have to set up the PDA with Cachemate - seems a shame not too :lol:

THE_Chris
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Re: Anyone got a Garmin (60, Vista etc.) for sale?

Post by THE_Chris » Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:58 am

Once you go paperless, you'll never go back. Except for the few caches (Dublin pub crawls) that it truncates cos theres too much text!