March 13th 2017

When I established the forums in 2005 it was to offer a more richer web experience and greater functionality than the platform where we started this social adventure in 2003, Yahoo Groups. The forums were once a busy hive of activity and provided locals and visitors with a wealth of information just like the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook today.

It was a time where we didn't have the many social media platforms we have today, and it was a different time in terms of mobility and technology. There was no instant access to information, no Google Maps and a very limited base map on your GPSr. Mobile connectivity for me was a 9600bps Infrared connection from a Nokia to a laptop and in later times to a PDA using WAP.

As we moved into the social media era so did our forums users. Geocaching Ireland moved there too, and we have a thriving community on the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook. As a result, forum activity isn't what it used to be and I have taken the decision to disable new registrations to the forums and to make the forums read only so any information there can still be accessed.

The discussion hasn't ended, it has just moved. Join us on the Facebook Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group .

Donnacha

Looking for Garmin Maps on SD

Recommended On and Offline Retailers To Buy Your Gear. Announce Any Good Deals You May Know Of Here.

Moderator: GCI Admins

johnrm

Looking for Garmin Maps on SD

Post by johnrm » Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:13 pm

Seeing that I am in the process of falling out with Globalgizmos, and that I will soon need North America/Canada on SD...

Anyone know of a reasonably priced and reliable online retailer that delivers Garmin maps on SD to Ireland?

klossner
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by klossner » Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:26 am

Are you sure you wouldn't rather have it on DVD? Then you can use the map with Mapsource (great for planning caching trips,) download it to a big blank SDHC card you buy for cheap, and can store other content in the card as well.

Here in the U.S., I can buy City Navigator on either DVD or SD card from Garmin for USD 99.99 (77.80 euro). It's cheaper from third-party retailers like Amazon.com or gpsnow.com. I don't know whether they ship overseas.