March 13th 2017

When I established the forums in 2005 it was to offer a more richer web experience and greater functionality than the platform where we started this social adventure in 2003, Yahoo Groups. The forums were once a busy hive of activity and provided locals and visitors with a wealth of information just like the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook today.

It was a time where we didn't have the many social media platforms we have today, and it was a different time in terms of mobility and technology. There was no instant access to information, no Google Maps and a very limited base map on your GPSr. Mobile connectivity for me was a 9600bps Infrared connection from a Nokia to a laptop and in later times to a PDA using WAP.

As we moved into the social media era so did our forums users. Geocaching Ireland moved there too, and we have a thriving community on the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook. As a result, forum activity isn't what it used to be and I have taken the decision to disable new registrations to the forums and to make the forums read only so any information there can still be accessed.

The discussion hasn't ended, it has just moved. Join us on the Facebook Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group .

Donnacha

Garmin Geocoins for Yee-haw Suthurnurs!

Recommended On and Offline Retailers To Buy Your Gear. Announce Any Good Deals You May Know Of Here.

Moderator: GCI Admins

johnrm

Garmin Geocoins for Yee-haw Suthurnurs!

Post by johnrm » Tue Sep 09, 2008 5:03 pm

Having discovered and discussed the Garmin Coins at the Mourne event, I decided to have a look-see at Millets and Blacks in the South.

Millets have three stores, Galway, Blancardstown and Tallaght.

Galway had heard about them, but don't have them and didn't know what they were for.
Blanchardstown have them and think that they are given free with the purchase of a Garmin.
Tallaght don't have them and don't sell much Garmin, so probably won't have them in.

According to Mark in Blanchardstown they have 5, the next trick is convincing them that they are to be given away free on request to a geocacher.

A few questions...
1. Were they given away free in Millets NI?
2. How many were you given?
3. How are we going to convince Millets in Blanchardstown to hand over the treasure?
4. Whos going to collect mine as I am not allowed out of Ennis for the next year? (Penance for trip to Mournes!)

Johnrm

Donmoore

Post by Donmoore » Tue Sep 09, 2008 6:00 pm

Pretty easy John

They are free.
One per person so bring a family and send them in 1 at a time (make your own plan up)
Can't help you getting out but I would like a Stone henge coin if someone can get it

I know that some people in England had to produce the information on a print out to convince the shops to hand them over.

http://garminuk.geocaching.com/

hope this helps

johnrm

Post by johnrm » Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:05 pm

Pretty much as I had thought.
Galway and Blanchardstown are listed on the 'Participating stores' page.
I'll pester the people in the Galway store again tomorrow.
Any volunteers for the Blanchardstown detail?

Hezekiah
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Hezekiah » Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:02 pm

I'll try them out tomorrow - see if they know what's what!
Up is good!!

johnrm

Post by johnrm » Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:08 pm

Nowt in Galway.
Looks like its Blanchardstown or bust.