March 13th 2017

When I established the forums in 2005 it was to offer a more richer web experience and greater functionality than the platform where we started this social adventure in 2003, Yahoo Groups. The forums were once a busy hive of activity and provided locals and visitors with a wealth of information just like the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook today.

It was a time where we didn't have the many social media platforms we have today, and it was a different time in terms of mobility and technology. There was no instant access to information, no Google Maps and a very limited base map on your GPSr. Mobile connectivity for me was a 9600bps Infrared connection from a Nokia to a laptop and in later times to a PDA using WAP.

As we moved into the social media era so did our forums users. Geocaching Ireland moved there too, and we have a thriving community on the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook. As a result, forum activity isn't what it used to be and I have taken the decision to disable new registrations to the forums and to make the forums read only so any information there can still be accessed.

The discussion hasn't ended, it has just moved. Join us on the Facebook Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group .

Donnacha

Cheap Sat Nav and PDA

Recommended On and Offline Retailers To Buy Your Gear. Announce Any Good Deals You May Know Of Here.

Moderator: GCI Admins

SargeNI
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Cheap Sat Nav and PDA

Post by SargeNI » Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:29 pm

HP iPAQ 314 Travel Companion

Don't really know much about this product but it seems to be coming at a very low price for the supplier below. A PDA and Sat Nav for under a £95 new can't be bad, especially from a brand like HP iPAQ. It has 2Gb on-board memory for maps and a SD socket, so there should be room for lots of paperless caches. I have used this supplier for computer parts in the past and they have been OK, except their delivery charge to N.Ireland is very expensive. Also their deals tend to go very fast.

Also noticed that Amazon is doing it for about a tenner more, given free postage that might be cheaper in the long run, but they do not mention the £30 cash back from HP.

While this is not a Garmin Colorado it appears to be a cheap way into a single unit paperless caching, it might be of interest to someone, but do your own research to see if it suits you.

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/132403/sh ... t_overview

Donmoore

Post by Donmoore » Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:58 pm

Looks pretty good to me. now where do I find the money?

medic143

Post by medic143 » Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:23 pm

I had a quick look at this unit and it seems to have limited function as a PDA. It offers the use of sync to Outlook for contacts management and the ability to load media files but I couldn't see any reference in the couple of reviews that I read about the ability to load your own software, or even to view HTLM files.

How does it help with paperless caching?

SargeNI
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by SargeNI » Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:09 pm

Yes would now trend to agree with Eric, on a second look I don't see any mention of the ability to load programs like Cachmate, etc.

Hope too many of you didn't rush out and buy, although still not bad value for a Tom Tom Europe