March 13th 2017

When I established the forums in 2005 it was to offer a more richer web experience and greater functionality than the platform where we started this social adventure in 2003, Yahoo Groups. The forums were once a busy hive of activity and provided locals and visitors with a wealth of information just like the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook today.

It was a time where we didn't have the many social media platforms we have today, and it was a different time in terms of mobility and technology. There was no instant access to information, no Google Maps and a very limited base map on your GPSr. Mobile connectivity for me was a 9600bps Infrared connection from a Nokia to a laptop and in later times to a PDA using WAP.

As we moved into the social media era so did our forums users. Geocaching Ireland moved there too, and we have a thriving community on the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook. As a result, forum activity isn't what it used to be and I have taken the decision to disable new registrations to the forums and to make the forums read only so any information there can still be accessed.

The discussion hasn't ended, it has just moved. Join us on the Facebook Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group .

Donnacha

WANTED SECOND HAND PDA

Recommended On and Offline Retailers To Buy Your Gear. Announce Any Good Deals You May Know Of Here.

Moderator: GCI Admins

brackyboggers

WANTED SECOND HAND PDA

Post by brackyboggers » Sun Apr 20, 2008 6:54 pm

Just posting on the offchance that anyone is thinking of updating a PDA and interested in selling an older model. Failing that would appreciate information on any good offers on a half decent PDA that won't break the bank :shock:

dino

Post by dino » Sun Apr 20, 2008 8:34 pm

You can get pretty decent Palms on eBay for good prices so I've been told.

I've also seen Mio discussed and recommended quite often on the UK forum but have no experience of them.
Some gal would giggle and I'd get red
And some guy'd laugh and I'd bust his head,
I tell ya, life ain't easy for a boy named "Sue."

brackyboggers

Post by brackyboggers » Sun Apr 20, 2008 8:44 pm

Thanks, Niall, will check out ebay. Jme1979 has just sent me some info regarding models which will be helpful, since I don't know one from the other. I just want something that will take the paper out of caching and is easy to use.

Kili or bust

Post by Kili or bust » Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:06 pm

Not technically minded enough in this area but I wonder if the Colorado is not the answer for those of us who just want PDAtype functions for geocaching to make it paperless without all the extra unused functions that you pay for in a PDA. (that is of course if you are ready to replace a GPSr, for example)???

Hezekiah
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Hezekiah » Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:08 pm

I have an unused Palm TX (identical to the one I use myself for paperless caching) which is surplus to requirements. I boughtit thinking my own Palm was on the blink, but it was the PC which died! You're welcome to have it for what I paid (£90, if I remember correctly) and I'll throw in a tutorial, if necessary!

It comes with cover, charger, USB connection and software.
Up is good!!

dino

Post by dino » Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:16 pm

Kili or bust wrote:Not technically minded enough in this area but I wonder if the Colorado is not the answer for those of us who just want PDAtype functions for geocaching to make it paperless without all the extra unused functions that you pay for in a PDA. (that is of course if you are ready to replace a GPSr, for example)???
Definitely a very nice piece of kit but very pricey! Worth considering instead of a PPC but Palm will always win hands down when it comes to price
Some gal would giggle and I'd get red
And some guy'd laugh and I'd bust his head,
I tell ya, life ain't easy for a boy named "Sue."

jme1979

Post by jme1979 » Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:53 pm

brackyboggers wrote:Thanks, Niall, will check out ebay. Jme1979 has just sent me some info regarding models which will be helpful, since I don't know one from the other. I just want something that will take the paper out of caching and is easy to use.
Just remember that I'm in no way an expert! I'm just happy I finally managed to get mine all sorted out to use properly :oops:

brackyboggers

Post by brackyboggers » Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:55 pm

I was really impressed with what I saw of the Colorado but it's honestly out of my price bracket....no way I could mingle the price of that in with the grocery expenses :lol: I am interested though in your offer Hezekiah. I just need to ask you a few dopey questions relating to my P.C and compatibilty. Will save myself the embarrassment by sending you a PM...I am learning though :oops: ...with a little help from my friends :lol:

brackyboggers

Post by brackyboggers » Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:56 pm

"Just remember that I'm in no way an expert! I'm just happy I finally managed to get mine all sorted out to use properly"

No worries, won't be holding you responsbile for my lack of technical skills :wink: ..but glad of the help :!:...and I don't even manage the quote there...it's past my bedtime :oops:

jme1979

Post by jme1979 » Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:04 pm

Well, if you are going down the TX route, you are always welcome to have a mess around with mine to get a feel for it (and at least with it, I do know what is going on!)

Basically you will need GSAK on your computer (which you would be able to download now to have a look at, if you aren't already using it - so that would answer all your questions about your computer compatibility), and Cachemate is definitely ok for the PDA (as its what I have on mine now, courtesy of Dino's help :D ). The hotsyncing software is a 'drop and drag', so very easy to use (and very quick!)

And of course, I would NEVER mention the very large number of games that are available to download to play on the TX :twisted: :twisted:

brackyboggers

Post by brackyboggers » Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:19 pm

Im all sorted with a PDA :lol: Thanks for all the help and advice folks...will really try to sort the next lap out without posting too many queries :oops: