March 13th 2017

When I established the forums in 2005 it was to offer a more richer web experience and greater functionality than the platform where we started this social adventure in 2003, Yahoo Groups. The forums were once a busy hive of activity and provided locals and visitors with a wealth of information just like the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook today.

It was a time where we didn't have the many social media platforms we have today, and it was a different time in terms of mobility and technology. There was no instant access to information, no Google Maps and a very limited base map on your GPSr. Mobile connectivity for me was a 9600bps Infrared connection from a Nokia to a laptop and in later times to a PDA using WAP.

As we moved into the social media era so did our forums users. Geocaching Ireland moved there too, and we have a thriving community on the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook. As a result, forum activity isn't what it used to be and I have taken the decision to disable new registrations to the forums and to make the forums read only so any information there can still be accessed.

The discussion hasn't ended, it has just moved. Join us on the Facebook Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group .

Donnacha

Something to start this off

Recommended On and Offline Retailers To Buy Your Gear. Announce Any Good Deals You May Know Of Here.

Moderator: GCI Admins

Fjon
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Something to start this off

Post by Fjon » Tue Jul 31, 2007 2:11 pm

Unbelievable Shop/ Aspid Shop
Portuguese based online store. Sells reasonably cheap EU GPSrs and other things

7 Day Shop
Good source for cheap memory cards and photographic equipment.

donnacha
Site Admin
Site Admin
Title: King Of The Rain

Re: Something to start this off

Post by donnacha » Tue Jul 31, 2007 3:48 pm

Fjon wrote:Unbelievable Shop/ Aspid Shop
Save yourself an extra 21% if you are VAT registered.

The Windsockers

Re: Something to start this off

Post by The Windsockers » Tue Jul 31, 2007 4:03 pm

donnacha wrote:
Fjon wrote:Unbelievable Shop/ Aspid Shop
Save yourself an extra 21% if you are VAT registered.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

or if you know someone who is :wink:

daraconn
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by daraconn » Wed Aug 01, 2007 1:39 pm

Just doing a quick comparison, GPS warehouse www.gpsw.co.uk seems to be cheaper than aspidshop, at least for some products.

Some sample prices (including VAT at 21% and 17% respectively):

Model Aspidshop GPSw (converted from GBP at 1.483 EUR/GBP)
76CSx €525 €445
76Cx €477 €415
60Cx €430 €400
VistaCx €365 €334

Netdrum

Batteries

Post by Netdrum » Sun Aug 26, 2007 11:59 am

I have used these guys to get batteries for my rebreather, great for any type of batteries

The Battery company

maybe useful

Netdrum

johnrm

GPSr etc at low prices

Post by johnrm » Mon Sep 17, 2007 7:38 pm

Very keen pricing on many items here...

http://www.globalgizmos.co.uk/

johnrm

Post by johnrm » Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:05 pm

On second thoughts, I've been trying to get stuff off them, and they're not terribly communicative.

John

kersti.com

Post by kersti.com » Sat Sep 22, 2007 10:27 am

I got my 60CS from aspidshop, they were reasonably cheap. I then purchased the maps through them and the parcel went missing - I had to go through paypal before they would send out another even though fedex agreed that it had gone

johnrm

Post by johnrm » Sun Sep 23, 2007 12:12 am

Rather than going through an internet vendor, you/we could approach a local Retailer and request a discount.

Sometimes paying a few quid more and buying locally can save you a lot of hassle in the long run.

John

kersti.com

Post by kersti.com » Sun Sep 23, 2007 9:45 am

I've noticed tho that the difference an be extraordinary. My Garmin was 200 euro cheaper through Aspidshop than through a local retailer. Even then it would have been cheaper to buy through an Australian retailer. My advice is to really shop around and consider buying out of the EU - the dollar being so weak could mean considerable savings if we could buy via the US at the moment.

klaus23
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by klaus23 » Sun Sep 23, 2007 12:59 pm

kersti.com wrote:My advice is to really shop around and consider buying out of the EU - the dollar being so weak could mean considerable savings if we could buy via the US at the moment.
There's a lot of talk on Irish discussion forums about Customs at the moment. Apparently they've got the shipping companies like DHL to declare stuff to them and they're hitting people left, right and centre for duty.

So folks, if you have relatives or friends in the States, ship it to them. They repackage it, and declare it as "Personal Gift - No Monetary Value" and send it to you.

:wink: