March 13th 2017

When I established the forums in 2005 it was to offer a more richer web experience and greater functionality than the platform where we started this social adventure in 2003, Yahoo Groups. The forums were once a busy hive of activity and provided locals and visitors with a wealth of information just like the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook today.

It was a time where we didn't have the many social media platforms we have today, and it was a different time in terms of mobility and technology. There was no instant access to information, no Google Maps and a very limited base map on your GPSr. Mobile connectivity for me was a 9600bps Infrared connection from a Nokia to a laptop and in later times to a PDA using WAP.

As we moved into the social media era so did our forums users. Geocaching Ireland moved there too, and we have a thriving community on the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook. As a result, forum activity isn't what it used to be and I have taken the decision to disable new registrations to the forums and to make the forums read only so any information there can still be accessed.

The discussion hasn't ended, it has just moved. Join us on the Facebook Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group .

Donnacha

Welcome

Feel free to join up and introduce yourself to the Irish Geocaching community. Don't be shy now...

Moderator: GCI Admins

parkmoy
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Welcome

Post by parkmoy » Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:57 pm

Welcome Gavin, fire away with the questions!

spy caleb
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by spy caleb » Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:27 pm

welcome Gavin
from a fellow westerner.. :wink:

Fjon
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Fjon » Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:47 am

Welcome along Gavin!

danieloisin

Post by danieloisin » Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:02 pm

Thanks for the Welcome, I'm a newbie from Sligo. I have never gone geocaching, but have used a gps extensively on many walks and even accidently stumbled on a geocache in Union wood Sligo. Its on a hill with the most panoramic view of sligo and its surroundings. I saw the cache mentioned in one of your forums. My trusty yellow etrex died after a very wet expedition across the 12 Bens, ( I left the batteries in and the rest is history) so I have ordered a Vista HCX. So now looking forward to a bit of Geocaching. :D

johnrm

Post by johnrm » Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:05 pm

Welcome danieloisin!

Hezekiah
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Hezekiah » Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:27 pm

Welcome!
Up is good!!

OTP

Post by OTP » Sun Dec 27, 2009 8:46 pm

OTP checking in. I don't think I've been a member of any forum in about ten years, hopefully it'll be a bit like riding a bicycle.

Zoe andDaddy

Post by Zoe andDaddy » Sun Dec 27, 2009 8:47 pm

Hi OTP,

Welcome to the forum's and the wonderful world of Caching.

dino

Post by dino » Sun Dec 27, 2009 8:57 pm

Welcome to the forum :mrgreen:

Where are you based?
Some gal would giggle and I'd get red
And some guy'd laugh and I'd bust his head,
I tell ya, life ain't easy for a boy named "Sue."

OTP

Post by OTP » Sun Dec 27, 2009 9:05 pm

Based in Swords, I've been geocaching for nearly a year with nearly 200 finds and 18 hidden.

dino

Post by dino » Sun Dec 27, 2009 9:44 pm

OTP = OrangeTigerPrawn?

OTP

Post by OTP » Sun Dec 27, 2009 9:49 pm

Yeah, sometimes it's a bit long to write.

dino

Post by dino » Sun Dec 27, 2009 9:52 pm

Definitely not a newbie then.....hope you have a good time on the forum 8)

spy caleb
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by spy caleb » Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:01 pm

welcome OTP

spy caleb
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by spy caleb » Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:04 pm

danieloisin wrote:Thanks for the Welcome, I'm a newbie from Sligo. I have never gone geocaching, but have used a gps extensively on many walks and even accidently stumbled on a geocache in Union wood Sligo. Its on a hill with the most panoramic view of sligo and its surroundings. I saw the cache mentioned in one of your forums. My trusty yellow etrex died after a very wet expedition across the 12 Bens, ( I left the batteries in and the rest is history) so I have ordered a Vista HCX. So now looking forward to a bit of Geocaching. :D
Welcome to the forums from a fellow Sligo Geocacher. You are especially welcome as we are a bit thin on the ground in the northwest. Look forward to your contributions but more so to finding some of your caches in the future. :D :D

theswerve
Slieve Donard 850m
Slieve Donard 850m

Post by theswerve » Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:26 pm

Welcome OTP... :) ...welcome to the forum,enjoyed your caches!!!!

Frezeluberz
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Frezeluberz » Sun Jan 03, 2010 2:35 pm

Hi OTP :)

jenroche

Post by jenroche » Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:39 am

Hi there,

Dublin newbie saying hello. I was turned onto geocaching by a friend in Australia who just got into it. I found it fascinating to think of all these little caches hidden in different places all over the world. Even more so when I discovered there were four hidden in my local park!

So off I went yesterday and couldn't believe it when I found two of them. I saved the other two for today as I'm bringing the kids along to help me look. I can see myself definitely getting hooked on Geocaching!

Jen ;->

Spark_ie
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Spark_ie » Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:01 pm

We all know the feeling!! Welcome to the club! 8) 8)

Kili or bust

Post by Kili or bust » Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:07 pm

Welcome to the forum and the madness Jen!