March 13th 2017

When I established the forums in 2005 it was to offer a more richer web experience and greater functionality than the platform where we started this social adventure in 2003, Yahoo Groups. The forums were once a busy hive of activity and provided locals and visitors with a wealth of information just like the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook today.

It was a time where we didn't have the many social media platforms we have today, and it was a different time in terms of mobility and technology. There was no instant access to information, no Google Maps and a very limited base map on your GPSr. Mobile connectivity for me was a 9600bps Infrared connection from a Nokia to a laptop and in later times to a PDA using WAP.

As we moved into the social media era so did our forums users. Geocaching Ireland moved there too, and we have a thriving community on the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook. As a result, forum activity isn't what it used to be and I have taken the decision to disable new registrations to the forums and to make the forums read only so any information there can still be accessed.

The discussion hasn't ended, it has just moved. Join us on the Facebook Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group .

Donnacha

Welcome

Feel free to join up and introduce yourself to the Irish Geocaching community. Don't be shy now...

Moderator: GCI Admins

fitzet
Lugnaquillia 925m
Lugnaquillia 925m

Re: Welcome

Post by fitzet » Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:57 pm

silver soldier wrote:does anyone know whats the record in ireland is for different icons on the same day
i know theres a 6 challenge and some have got that but is there any person got higher ????/
medic143 has 8 in one day, GoldCircle has 7. There may be others.

GoldCircle
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by GoldCircle » Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:42 pm

I should have had 8, but the miserable b@$t@rd of a an Earthcache owner in Seattle got all righteous about one measurement and declined me my find... :evil:
Image Image

theswerve
Slieve Donard 850m
Slieve Donard 850m

Post by theswerve » Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:48 pm

According to Project GC...jme1979...10 types in one day...Done the same morning during one of the Winter Madness events..

silver soldier
Great Sugarloaf 501m
Great Sugarloaf 501m

Post by silver soldier » Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:45 pm

10 is a great achivement for any cacher and its hard to get them
CITO ,EVENT,WEBCAM,MYSTERY,TRADITIONAL,MULTI,LETTERBOX,EARTH,VIRTUAL,WHERIGO. :idea:
ALL IN THE ONE DAY :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:
:o LET THE CHALLENGE BEGIN :o

Blue Jay
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Blue Jay » Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:17 pm

Certianly more doable in your own area when you are a new cacher.
With only one webcam and a couple of virtuals in Dublin, once they are found & logged, it's harder to hit a big number of icons from home base in a day.
Aiming for : Event, Cito, Multi, Wherigo, Trad, Puzzle, Letterbox & Earthcache in the one day is doable though. :wink:

"Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative" - Oscar Wilde

silver soldier
Great Sugarloaf 501m
Great Sugarloaf 501m

Post by silver soldier » Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:06 am

8 is very good - had a look at the person with 10 that must have been great craic
planing and chasing those icons that day - she put a lot of leg work in -fair play
hopefully theres others planing to get as many as possible on CITO day.
and it will all add to the craic on the day
i would say there is others making lists - why not ?- it is but once a year .

fitzet
Lugnaquillia 925m
Lugnaquillia 925m

Post by fitzet » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:55 am

silver soldier wrote:hopefully theres others planing to get as many as possible on CITO day.
Sun 27 April
1. Event (Swedish Breakfast #7)
2. CITO (Dodder Valley)

Then leg it out to Howth for;

3. Virtual (Black Rose)
4. Earthcache (Balscadden)
5. Letterbox (It don't mean a thing)
6. Multi (choice)
7. Traditional (choice)
8. Puzzle (choice)

Simple 8)

abbeyackbar
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by abbeyackbar » Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:07 am

Don't forget to factor in low tide times if Balscadden Bay Earthcache is in your plans :)
Use this link http://www.irishtimes.com/news/weather/tides to see when low tide is on the day

fitzet
Lugnaquillia 925m
Lugnaquillia 925m

Post by fitzet » Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:28 am

abbeyackbar wrote:Don't forget to factor in low tide times if Balscadden Bay Earthcache is in your plans :)
Use this link http://www.irishtimes.com/news/weather/tides to see when low tide is on the day
Low water in Howth at 16:50.

http://www.hyc.ie/tides/tides_month.asp?tmonth=apr

Blue Jay
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Blue Jay » Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:26 pm

Unfortunately I've already logged that one, so I'll have to go a bit further for my Earthcache = but still very doable.
Just have to go check out the Wherigo so that doesn't slow me up on the day.
The Shipwrecked one has been replaced :D - but that will be for another day too.

"Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative" - Oscar Wilde