March 13th 2017

When I established the forums in 2005 it was to offer a more richer web experience and greater functionality than the platform where we started this social adventure in 2003, Yahoo Groups. The forums were once a busy hive of activity and provided locals and visitors with a wealth of information just like the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook today.

It was a time where we didn't have the many social media platforms we have today, and it was a different time in terms of mobility and technology. There was no instant access to information, no Google Maps and a very limited base map on your GPSr. Mobile connectivity for me was a 9600bps Infrared connection from a Nokia to a laptop and in later times to a PDA using WAP.

As we moved into the social media era so did our forums users. Geocaching Ireland moved there too, and we have a thriving community on the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook. As a result, forum activity isn't what it used to be and I have taken the decision to disable new registrations to the forums and to make the forums read only so any information there can still be accessed.

The discussion hasn't ended, it has just moved. Join us on the Facebook Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group .

Donnacha

Welcome

Feel free to join up and introduce yourself to the Irish Geocaching community. Don't be shy now...

Moderator: GCI Admins

donnacha
Site Admin
Site Admin
Title: King Of The Rain

Welcome

Post by donnacha » Fri Jan 28, 2005 8:14 pm

Welcome to geocachingireland.com forums
Last edited by donnacha on Mon Feb 14, 2005 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

klaus23
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by klaus23 » Fri Jan 28, 2005 8:30 pm

Same goes. It'll be a very informal forum, so you can talk about ANY oul shite IN here :lol:

The Windsockers

Hi

Post by The Windsockers » Fri Jan 28, 2005 9:05 pm

Just droped in to say hi and good luck with the forum :)

donnacha
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by donnacha » Fri Jan 28, 2005 9:09 pm

thanks, Steve. I got an alert on the email address you put in when you registered. i tried sending you a mail but it bouncing...weird.

BobAJob

Post by BobAJob » Fri Jan 28, 2005 9:54 pm

Nice one - good to see a decent forum, much better then that Yahoo junk.

8)

Cheers - John

Wildlifewriter

Post by Wildlifewriter » Fri Jan 28, 2005 10:03 pm

BobAJob wrote:Nice one - good to see a decent forum, much better then that Yahoo junk.
I could never GET the Yahoo one TO WORK. Saw plenty OF blank boxes WHERE the adverts would have been, though.

Now THEN... what smilies have we available here?

Aaah - I'll be using this one :twisted: rather a lot....

donnacha
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by donnacha » Fri Jan 28, 2005 10:36 pm

BobAJob wrote:Nice one - good to see a decent forum, much better then that Yahoo junk.

8)

Cheers - John
Thanks. Problem IS forums LIKE this cost AND have TO be maintained, AND yahoo IS free AND ALL the maintenance IS done FOR you.

The Windsockers

Opps

Post by The Windsockers » Sat Jan 29, 2005 1:30 am

thanks, Steve. I got an alert on the email address you put in when you registered. i tried sending you a mail but it bouncing...weird.
Thats my fault mixed my USER NAME WITH geocache address :roll:

Thanks. Problem IS forums LIKE this cost AND have TO be maintained, AND yahoo IS free AND ALL the maintenance IS done FOR you.

we could ALL chip IN TO keep the forum going thats what we do WITH a few other forums i'm in :D

Lance Ambu

Post by Lance Ambu » Sat Jan 29, 2005 12:43 pm

Hmmmm

Seems LIKE a nice place,
Well done D

Now it's up to us, use it or lose it.

klaus23
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by klaus23 » Sat Jan 29, 2005 3:38 pm

Lance Ambu wrote: Now it's up to us, use it or lose it.
If we were able TO keep a busy LEVEL OF conversation AS well AS enough irreverence AND funny stuff TO keep non-locals interested it could be quite interesting.

donnacha
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Opps

Post by donnacha » Sat Jan 29, 2005 6:55 pm

we could all chip in to keep the forum going thats what we do with a few other forums i'm IN :D
ahh don't worry about that for the moment, see how this places goes.

Team Dinosaur

Post by Team Dinosaur » Mon Jan 31, 2005 8:06 am

Hi all, I thought I should join since I will be visiting Ireland soon. Thanks to all who have helped so far.

klaus23
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by klaus23 » Mon Jan 31, 2005 12:56 pm

Hi Team Dinosaur,

Welcome TO the forums. Let us know if you've got any questions or queries in relation to your holiday :)

Klaus

Hello, I'm Johnny Cache

Post by Hello, I'm Johnny Cache » Mon Jan 31, 2005 6:57 pm

Hi everyone,

Great site, well done lads! :D

Fjon
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Fjon » Mon Jan 31, 2005 8:24 pm

Think I shall hang around here, see what's happening. OF course I'm new to all this so hopefully you won't mind me asking stupid questions :oops:

Lance Ambu

Post by Lance Ambu » Mon Jan 31, 2005 8:36 pm

There is no such thing as a stupid question, except sometimes.

However most OF the answers will eventually GET you CLOSE TO the nub.

IN the meantime, you ARE welcome TO JOIN IN WITH the banter OR just FLOAT around FOR a while AND GET TO know SOME OF the inhabitants.

Please don't feed their egos or offer them drink, it is bad for them. In most cases their bark is worse than their bite, but do remember that they do bite. So stand away from the bars when conversing with them. Wear sensible shoes and carry a pointy stick at all times, keep your head inside the carriage when the train is moving and do not spit on the floor.
Thank you FOR your attention.

PS remember TO log out WHEN USING a PUBLIC access computer.
The Librarian

donnacha
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by donnacha » Mon Jan 31, 2005 11:46 pm

Fjon wrote:I'm new TO ALL this so hopefully you won't mind me asking stupid questions :oops:
Don't worry...that's what we're here for! 8)

Team Dinosaur

Post by Team Dinosaur » Tue Feb 01, 2005 7:00 am

I have plenty of questions such as what to see, what to stay away from, how many pint's does it take TO give me a hangover?

klaus23
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by klaus23 » Tue Feb 01, 2005 4:32 pm

Practice makes perfect... and it also depends who you're drinking WITH :lol:

scotcache

Post by scotcache » Thu Feb 03, 2005 9:05 pm

Hello All,

Just received my FIRST GPSr (a Magellan Meridian Gold),AND will be heading out soon ON my FIRST cache! ANY other members based IN the Kingdom OF Kerry?

Cheers,

Dave