March 13th 2017

When I established the forums in 2005 it was to offer a more richer web experience and greater functionality than the platform where we started this social adventure in 2003, Yahoo Groups. The forums were once a busy hive of activity and provided locals and visitors with a wealth of information just like the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook today.

It was a time where we didn't have the many social media platforms we have today, and it was a different time in terms of mobility and technology. There was no instant access to information, no Google Maps and a very limited base map on your GPSr. Mobile connectivity for me was a 9600bps Infrared connection from a Nokia to a laptop and in later times to a PDA using WAP.

As we moved into the social media era so did our forums users. Geocaching Ireland moved there too, and we have a thriving community on the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook. As a result, forum activity isn't what it used to be and I have taken the decision to disable new registrations to the forums and to make the forums read only so any information there can still be accessed.

The discussion hasn't ended, it has just moved. Join us on the Facebook Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group .

Donnacha

Hello all!

Feel free to join up and introduce yourself to the Irish Geocaching community. Don't be shy now...

Moderator: GCI Admins

Viperdown
Great Sugarloaf 501m
Great Sugarloaf 501m

Hello all!

Post by Viperdown » Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:41 am

Hi everyone.
Totally new to this but working off the principle that I have access to campervans, I have a brand spanking new mountain bike (that I bought 4 years ago but hasn't got dirty yet), I have 2 feet .......... And a huge belly that I need rid of!!
This I will be using as the childish approach to fitness. I am very undisciplined when it comes to activity ....... But a treasure hunt, well that's a different story :)
I live and work in Fermanagh
Just wondering how I get started, I am particularly stupid and can't find a "list" of locations etc
Cheers
Baz

abbeyackbar
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Re: Hello all!

Post by abbeyackbar » Sun Feb 01, 2015 5:26 pm

Hi Viperdown! Welcome!

You'll find a lot of helpful info to get you started Geocaching, here:
https://www.geocaching.com/guide/default.aspx
It includes a link to 'Searching for Geocaches'. You can select 'Advanced Search' and select the options for your search that way.
Advanced Search.jpg
From any cache page you can select one of the options highlighted in the screenshot below to look at the geocaches on a map of Ireland. There's lots of other ways to search for caches. This is just a couple of options for you.
Search option - map.jpg
How did you find out about Geocaching?

- Abbey
P.S. Access to campervans, a mountain bike and 2 feet are a great start for your new hobby. Might I also suggest building on your TOTT (tools of the trade) to include but not limited to the following: tweezers! (to retrieve the logbook from those fiddly nano caches), pens! (to sign the logbook), a torch (nightcaching - why wait for daylight), a ladder (don't ask :lol: ), gloves(you're about to get very familiar with and irrationally emotional over gorse, heather and especially ivy!), spare batteries (for a handheld GPSr if that's what you have), swaps for the cache, a ready excuse for security/police :roll: but most importantly, a sense of adventure! 8)
I am a Geocacher.jpg
Enjoy!

Viperdown
Great Sugarloaf 501m
Great Sugarloaf 501m

Post by Viperdown » Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:18 pm

You are an absolute star, I will get onto this immediately ...... Do I still need a ladder if I am 6'5" ??
As for the excuses, I know the pilot and the "dope on a rope" from the search and rescue in sligo ....... Lol
I could say I was abducted "how else would I have gotten to the middle of nowhere"

abbeyackbar
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by abbeyackbar » Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:44 pm

Viperdown wrote:...... Do I still need a ladder if I am 6'5" ??
In a word - Yes :D (Refer pic. below)
Off to see a tree about a cache.jpg
(l. to r. Hezekiah, theswerve, GoldCircle, AbbeyAckbar, tmsr & odies crew)

That was a group of geocachers looking for GC3F399 Monkey See, Monkey Do http://coord.info/GC3F399
located in the Phoenix Park, Dublin. Sometimes it's hard not to look suspicious :lol:

- Abbey

(photo credit goes to THE_Chris 8) )

Blue Jay
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Blue Jay » Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:34 pm

Welcome Viperdown.

You've a great start with what you have, and you probably won't need the ladder the first day anyhow. :D

Great answers Abbey - nothing more to add except there's some lovely caches up your way - the website is down at the moment so I can't give you links or GC numbers but I'll come back later with them.

Cheers & happy caching.

"Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative" - Oscar Wilde